The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#165742 - 01/30/09 06:33 PM Shotgun Question
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Just bought a Charles Daly model 20 ga. for home defense. I got the 20 ga. because DW and DD are a lot smaller than I am and a 12 ga. would send them over backwards. I've been looking for accessories for it and have yet to find much. Other than cartridge holders for the stock (rather generic)the pickings seem to be slim, especially for the Charles Daly model. Question: Are there places that sell things like pistol grip stocks etc., for this model? How about universal equipment? Most of what I have seen is for the big three - Mossberg, Remington & Winchester.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#165744 - 01/30/09 06:41 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: LumpyJaw]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I am not familiar with that brand. No offense intended, but if you planned on accessorizing the thing, why didn't you buy a model from the big three?

You might try http://www.combatstocks.com/ , or call the manufacturer and ask about compatibility with items designed for one of the big three brands. You never know ... maybe stuff designed for a Mossberg will fit it ... ask the manufacturer.

#165748 - 01/30/09 07:19 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: haertig]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
How small is "DW" mine is right at 100lbs and 5' even and she LOVES her Rem870 12ga.

I do plan to get her a 20ga for shooting clays though, something she can shoot LONG term without any issues laugh

Charles Daly while not as big as the others is not `unknown` either.

What kind of accessories do you want? For protection just make sure it works, and maybe add a mag tube ext. on it.

#165767 - 01/30/09 09:28 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I was given an Italian made Charles Daly over-and-under years ago and it's been 100% reliable.

You might go check the usual suspects like midwayusa.com, brownells.com & natchezss.com but I'm afraid you may have a hard time finding what you're looking for.

If you have a model number or anything else you can share I'd be happy to try and help Google something up.

Good luck!

#165773 - 01/30/09 09:59 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: LumpyJaw]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The only Daly guns I am familiar with are over-unders. What is yours? I suspect that you will have a hard time finding "tactical" accessories for your weapon. As others have said, I suspect that your wife and daughter could, with a little training and experience, handle a 12 ga just fine. I shot my first at the ripe old age of five, and have seen many little bitty LEO's of both sex shoot 12ga 00 buck with no problems...

#165776 - 01/30/09 10:27 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
weldon Offline
Journeyman

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm

You might take a look, worth what you pay for the advice, but some interesting ideas put forward.

#165781 - 01/30/09 11:09 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: LumpyJaw]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I once noticed several similarities the CD scatterguns had to Beretta firearms. It was explained to me by someone I trust in the firearms industry that they are Beretta firearms without the branding and final overall quality of fit and finish.
He assured me they will go bang just as often as the Beretta firearms, just not look as good doing it.

YMMV

RIP OBG

#165792 - 01/31/09 02:19 AM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Desperado]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Fine shotgun but I doubt you will find any accessories, the only thing I could find is camo replacement stocks, good luck.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#165801 - 01/31/09 03:31 AM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Congratualtions on your new purchase.

As a possible alternative to going with a smaller bore for smaller people you might look around for 'low recoil' rounds. These are sometimes marked as 'low recoil-low flash' rounds. They are popular with police agencies that may end up with smaller framed men and women using the 12 gauge and who have an interest in protecting their night vision.

Essentially they are just standard round with a bit less powder in them. Just enough of a reduction to take the edge off the kick without seriously compromising the velocity. It also means you don't have a two foot long flame coming out the muzzle.

Most people don't notice the blast or flash much until they fire the shotgun in a dark and enclosed space. A standard 12 gauge round fired in a small room can temporarily rattle, deafen and blind everyone present.

It is good practice for everyone concerned to try it inside a few times to get used to this blast. A cooperative indoor range is handy for this but it isn't too difficult to rig a backstop and get a feel for it at home. I will leave the logistical details, and finer points of negotiation with the lady of the house, up to the reader. But remember that even if she loses the argument she will, by design, end up a loaded shotgun in her hands in the process. So play nice.

#165802 - 01/31/09 03:34 AM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Shadow_oo00]
MedB Offline

Congrats on the purchase.

Not sure which model you have, but the claim is that the brand new tactical guns released this month (?) will have stocks that can be retrofitted to some older models. Might want to contact CD parts department as they are planning on selling the stocks sepearately. BTW - Are you sure you want a pistol grip? Can be a little tough on the wrist, especially for wives and daughters...

Not sure what else you are looking for, but for me the best two accessories for home defense are an extended mag tube (already mentioned) and a weapon light.

The Surefire fore-grip lights aren't made for your gun, but there are a number of other lights that will fight on nearly any shotgun.

As for the extended mag tube... seems to be the hot questions lots of folks are asking with no replies.

Hope this helps,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 477 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.