Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163592 - 01/17/09 07:42 PM Small folder/multitool
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Over the years, I've grown used to carrying a fairly large folder on a daily basis. Unfortunately, a big folder is not allowed in some jurisdictions and on several occasions I've also had to leave my EDC folder at home when travelling in countries with strict knife laws.

So I just came back from another trip abroad and thought about this again. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a smaller folder for backup, something stronger than a SAK but still compact and low key. In other words, a smallish utility knife that I could EDC in knife-unfriendly places and wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrow nearly as much as my Endura. So I've been thinking about a blade around 2 1/2", at least 440C or better steel, a decent lock but reasonably light and slim plus inexpensive (in the event it had to be ditched/got confiscated somehow anyway).

Another option would be a small multitool like the Leatherman Micra. Too bad the knife on that one seems to be fairly lousy. I've also checked out a small Gerber multitool (forgot the exact name, similar to the Micra) but it looked cheap and poor quality.

#163595 - 01/17/09 08:09 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have always had a problem with "Multi Tools" because you usually end up with something that can not do the job, or hauling things that you never use.

For knives I really like compact and low key.
I really do not need a "Rambo" style machete knife.
For a knife I just need something sharp, and usually less than 3 inches long.

edit.
I have a Spyderco Endura.
Praise to Seki-City!
It is a great knife, light, compact and one hand opening.
The blade is only slightly longer than the blade on my Swiss Army Trekker,
but people freak when they see how fast the old Seki can come out, yet have no reaction at all to the SAK.

The biggest problem is with looking dangerous, and the Spyderco looks dangerous.

Edited by scafool (01/17/09 08:53 PM)

#163596 - 01/17/09 08:12 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I wouldn't bother to EDC anything smaller than the Buck Prince or "The 55" I have both of these made in USA knives and their sure enough buck tough! Now Buck might have some more good small folders but I can only vouch for what i own and use, although all their knives are covered by Buck's 4 life warranty so you might want to check out some of there other offerings. In fact i under stand from a, most reliable source, that Buck even has a keychain sized "tactical knife" too.

#163597 - 01/17/09 08:27 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
. . .If you want something smaller, but probably totally ineffectual for anything serious, then I would suggest the Leatherman Squirt P4. . . .
Interesting in that I agree with your assessment of the P4, however, I've done serious things with my Squirt E4. The wire strippers work quite well and the narrower tip is useful for working small wires. I wish they put the wire stripper pliers on their full size Leatherman tools.

#163600 - 01/17/09 08:41 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Russ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Second time I recommend a Skeletool today. Not that I love the thing so much, but it's minimalist and highly effective. Sounds like just what you need.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#163603 - 01/17/09 09:19 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Rodion]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Why not carry 2? I carry a nice Kershaw folder, fairly light weight, drop point blade with partial serrations, easy to carry, easy to open. I also carry a SAK classic in my change/watch pocket. That gives me another blade, scissors, toothpick and tweezers.

I keep a multi-tool in my car glove box and in my backpack for more emergent situations.

Carrying both knives is easy, and if I should forget one I'm very unlikely to have forgotten the other so I always have at least some sort of edged tool with me.

I picked a couple of the Leatherman Micra's on ebay, decent little multi tool. The blade isn't much but given the overall size it's ok. I gave one to my girlfriend for EDC and put the other in a "tool and repair" kit that I keep in my backpack and that I was inspired to put together after reading a thread from "Hacksaw" a while back. Anyone know what happened to him by the way? He seems to have dropped off the edge of the world.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#163612 - 01/17/09 09:34 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
As you can see my Leatherman is 4" folded and 7" unfolded it came with my Leatherman Blast

you might try it, it's what I EDC

Mike

Attachments
Photo_011709_003.jpg

Photo_011709_002.jpg

#163614 - 01/17/09 09:49 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: kd7fqd]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The SOG Blink looks like a potential candidate at $55 with a 2.25" AUS 8 blade.

http://sogknives.com/store/BBA-99.html

The little Buck Gent might fit the bill as well. It's $34 with a 1 7/8" 420HC blade. It looks about as docile as any knife could. wink

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2920

Edited by 7point82 (01/17/09 09:56 PM)
Edit Reason: added the Buck

#163615 - 01/17/09 09:49 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Tom_L]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
For a small folder, I really like the Gerber EZ-Out Jr.. Not sure if the steel is 440 or not, but the blade is 2.5", made in USA last time I checked, feels solid, holds a nice edge and at $25-30 will not hurt long if you lose it.

For a smallish multitool, I'll throw in for the Leatherman Juice line. Smaller than their fullsize stuff but more useful than the keychain-sized Micra/Squirt line.

#163621 - 01/17/09 10:28 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
Hookpunch Offline

Why not just carry a Spyderco Delica or Native? The Delica is just a smaller Endura and the Native is just a slightly different design although both have the same VG-10 steel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.