Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163365 - 01/16/09 02:08 AM Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder
Sherpadog
Unregistered

A few days in another thread, I posted about some egg carton and candle wax fire tinders that I make. Off forum it was requested if I could show them here. I created a batch today so here goes.

The actual work time was less then 15 minutes, with multiple photo taking, it stretched to 35 minutes.

Start with old candle wax pieces, an egg carton, wooden matches, string, and some wood shavings, sawdust etc. I ended up using 3 cans of wax and roughly 2x the amount of wood shavings then shown here.

While the candle wax is melting, add some wood shavings into the egg carton. Break the wooden matches into 2-3 pieces and also add to the egg carton....no sense wasting them.

Once the wax is melted, dip the string in and let sit for a minute or two.

Repeat this process one more time and let the wax harden.

Pour the wax over the egg carton.

Continue pouring the wax until the carton is just about filled.

Add some more wood shavings. The match ends also need to be dipped a couple of times into the wax.

Let the wax harden slightly then stick 2 match ends in each compartment. Even though it is not really needed (I added as another possible option) the waxed string from above can also be cut into pieces and added as wick to each egg compartment.

Let harden for awhile then break the egg carton into 12 pieces.

As you can see, the wax does good job of finding coating the cardboard and also serves to make the cardboard more water resistant and allows for easier re-lighting when wet....more on this in Part II

#163372 - 01/16/09 02:32 AM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Cool write-up smile

#163379 - 01/16/09 03:15 AM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: Todd W]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thanks - fun project!

#163382 - 01/16/09 03:31 AM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i've seen that in the old camping books.some of the old tricks are the best ones..i don't want to highjack your post but whats more important in your part of the country..fire or water?? for me it's fire,if i can make one %50 of my survival problems are solved.

#163385 - 01/16/09 03:47 AM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Thats a good question and has two answers.

In less then an hour drive east or north, we can be deep into the mountains that have never seen a human and has no shortage of water....so in this case, it would be fire.

Yet drive an hour north and slightly west, which is our fav area for outdoor activities in the summer. It will be water as this area is almost desert like and has the hottest summer temps in Canada.

Back to the egg carton tinder. I don't use these a lot, however they have never failed me yet even after getting wet from a dunk in the river.

#163398 - 01/16/09 08:18 AM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I made this type of starters when I was younger. Now I just carry a few candle stubs instead.
They are great fire starters, but I guess as I got older and lazier I just found candles easier.

#163405 - 01/16/09 01:00 PM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: scafool]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just remember to be careful when melting the wax since it can flame up if it gets too hot. That would be a nasty fire.

I always used a home-made double-boiler by placing a pie pan filled with water on the burner, and then putting the pot with wax inside the water. That makes sure that the wax pot won't get too hot.

Some folks use a microwave and watch it carefully to juuuust melt it and not more (not overheat it).

Also, you can get "new" parrafin (wax) from any local store that sells canning supplies - usually a local hardware store. Works well.

Ken

#163407 - 01/16/09 01:26 PM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, the match heads might help with getting the egg carton pieces lit, but I never had a problem just with igniting the wax soaked cardboard with a lit match on it's own.

I prefer dryer lint to wood chips. I can make a lighting wick using the lint by pulling a piece up along the edge of the carton section and leaving it loosely spun and wetting it with hot wax. I've lit it using just sparks.

I can imagine that lint and wood chips would be a good combo

#163410 - 01/16/09 01:45 PM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: benjammin]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

I've placed a piece of charcoal into each egg compartment and then coating with wax. Similar idea and also works well. Also, if you have little kids around, old crayons make an inexpensive (or free) source of wax. I completely soak the egg carton so everything is coated with wax.

Excellent photos and write up.

#163557 - 01/17/09 01:51 PM Re: Egg carton and Candle Wax Fire Tinder [Re: justmeagain]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Good project. I think candle wax is sometimes overlooked in favour of Vaseline, but wax is generally as good and often easier to work with because it's less messy. (Unless the weather is very hot.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.