Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#161713 - 01/07/09 05:11 AM Wood Stock for AR 7
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i see that the survival rifle post ran sort of long and had lots of comments from other AR 7 owners so i thought i would post this.

back in 1967 when i was in the Army many companys had a discounts for GI's program. you could still mail order guns and i got a AR 7 sent to my home. i also had SCUBA gear from
US Divers waiting for me.thinking back on it my confidence level must have been kind of high to think i would get back home to use that stuff..anyway..i did..this is an Armalite model made in Costa Mesa--and yes i know i put the butt cap on upside down when i took the photo..

back home in Upstate NY i used the AR for plinking and some
small game hunting but my plans for it were that it would be part of a survival kit as it was made for that. carrying it around in the woods with the plastic stock felt sort of James Bond wanabe so i ordered this wood stock from a local gun shop.
i don't recall the price but i'll bet i did not break a twenty. and i don't know where i found out about the stock.it was some 40 years ago guys..i don't recall if it was in the paperwork that came with it or i saw it in a magazine but the gun shop had to order it for me.

the guts of the AR fit right into the stock and is held by a single barrel band with a screw.

a nice cheek rest finishes off the very well made stock and no,i have no idea who made it.could be Armalite ???

and last a shot of the very fine inletting job.the works drop in without a hitch.the barrel band came with the stock.it slides over the front sight and that one screw pulls everthing in tight.the only modification i had to make was to remove a tiny bit of wood under the bolt handle that was interferring with the bolt and causing some ejection problems.i did that with a pocket knife after the first few magazines were shot thru it.sometime in the 80's i sent it in to the gunsmithing service at one of the big outfitters and they put a new ejector in and it's worked like new since then..
as a last word to all the real gun enthusiasts and retired
Army Sargents i would like to apologize for the somewhat sorry state this nice little rifle is in.i should have run an
oily rag over it before i took the photos as it's been sitting
unused in a closet for the past few years and looks a bit scruffy.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/07/09 05:16 AM)

#161716 - 01/07/09 05:31 AM Re: Wood Stock for AR 7 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
"... waiting for me.thinking back on it my confidence level must have been kind of high to think i would get back home to use that stuff ..."

A buddy of mine ordered a new Harley Davidson in Iraq. His thinking was that he had to make it home to take delivery of the bike. I am proud to say I taught him to ride a dirt bike well when he got back so he could take the Rider's Edge course and learn to ride on the street.

RIP OBG

#161731 - 01/07/09 12:55 PM Re: Wood Stock for AR 7 [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I was thinking about buying one of those back in the early 1970s.
I seem to remember that the wooden stock instead of plastic was an option you could order with it.

#161943 - 01/08/09 05:40 PM Re: Wood Stock for AR 7 [Re: scafool]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
I wonder if there is an easy way for a stock maker to copy that stock? Might still be a market for it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.