Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160664 - 12/31/08 12:05 PM interesting item- herring/smelt rig
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I was in Wally World yesterday, and found these on clearance for like four bucks each. Somehow, one followed me home. smile

Basically, it is prepacked mini trotline. About 5' long, with about 2" worth of drop for each of the small hooks (smaller than 12) which are spaced about 10" apart. There is a snap swivel on each end. It won't catch anything big, but I'm thinking I can probably rig this without too much trouble and it will catch the same kinds of things as a minnow trap, would be the bomb on small, flocking birds if needed. From the packaging, it almost looks like an ice fishing item, but I'm not sure.

Mine is made by Gamakatsu, item 58109. Can't find it in their catalog.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#160678 - 12/31/08 01:48 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: ironraven]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
In the right situation, it will probably work great.

I have fond memories of catching smelt on the Lake Michigan shore front, Montrose Harbor to be specific. We always used nets and caught them by the hundreds at a time fishing from the breakwater. I have never seen anyone catch smelt on a trot-line.

I have used use trot lines / "powerlines" (long story) to catch coho salmon (5 lbs+) on the Lake Michigan shore front too. They are very effective but the hooks were much bigger than size 12.

#160681 - 12/31/08 02:09 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: ironraven]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Are the hooks set up like little white artificial flies?
First, herring are ocean fish that come into inlets to spawn in the spring. Smelt do the same.

Herring rigs are designed to be used during the spawning run. You jig them up and down. Usually a weight gets snapped to the bottom swivel and the top swivel is for your leader.
The herring will strike at the artificial flies,
usually as they flutter in the way back down after you jigged them up.
The herring have small mouths and are less than 16 inches long, more likely about 12 inches. They only eat small stuff so small flies are used.
I have seen people jig them and get a fish on each hook when the run was heavy.
Herring and smelt fishing are best at night when they come near the surface to feed.
I suppose you could fish it for smelt, they are not much different in how they feed.
It is a jig type rig and meant to be fished up and down so I suppose it might work OK as an ice fishing rig.

Smelt under the ice, small trout or perch? Small hooks can catch big fish too.

The only thoughts I am having are if it is not cheaper to just buy hooks and rig your own, and that ganged hooks are illegal in most of the fishing around here.

Edited by scafool (12/31/08 02:13 PM)

#160685 - 12/31/08 02:27 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: NightHiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Looks like a variation of the red snapper rigs I used to use. Might work across a stream or river...

#160691 - 12/31/08 03:06 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: scafool]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: scafool
smelt fishing are best at night when they come near the surface to feed.

Yep.

#160697 - 12/31/08 03:25 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: GarlyDog]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

#160713 - 12/31/08 05:04 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: ironraven]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
We use these to catch bait for Halibut fishing. Nothing gets a Halibut like a live anchovy.
If the anchovy or other type of bait fish are around they WILL hit it. I have caught dozens in minutes when the schools are in.
I have caught anchovy, sea perch, smelts and other small size fishes.

#160736 - 12/31/08 09:02 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: billym]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

We used to use something similar to catch alligator turtles. The are fairly easily constructed; you just need bait.

#160823 - 01/01/09 10:54 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: gonewiththewind]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That would be the guy.

I'm not planning on catching anything significant with this. "Baitfish" are edible to. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#160825 - 01/01/09 11:02 PM Re: interesting item- herring/smelt rig [Re: GarlyDog]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I also have caught "gallons" of smelt during the spring spawning run using large square nets off piers in Lake Ontario and with long handled hoop nets near rapids at the inflow of inland lakes. Catching them is lots of fun, cleaning 1000's of them is not so much.

I have never used hooks/line but when the spawn is on the water is filled with smelt and I am sure just jigging the line would catch many.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.