Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#160160 - 12/27/08 04:47 PM Survival is becoming a more popular subject
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Granting we can thank the likes of Les Stroud and others that are producing TV survival shows, plus the post 9/11 and Katrina lessons learned, I have noticed survival (not survivalist) thinking is on the rise.

Several of the folks I never thought would be interested, have come to me to build kits from a PSK (DR PSP + adds) to extensive BOB/Vehicle kits.

It seems even the Discovery Channel has had enough questions to dedicate web space to this. Looks like a combination of practical knowledge and a few USGI manuals.

Too bad I cannot figure out how to run a profitable business and maintain the individuality & quality of the kits.
Discovery Channel Survival Website

Hopefully, This forum and others can get folks ready for when the really bad things happen (fire/storms/etc) and will reduce the loss of life and property.

Any thoughts????

Edited by Desperado (12/27/08 04:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Selling, AGAIN

RIP OBG

#160170 - 12/27/08 06:07 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: Desperado]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I think it is great. Hopefully more folks will be motivated to take action and prepare for trouble.

#160173 - 12/27/08 06:36 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: GarlyDog]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I wonder how many are bothering to take their first aid courses?

Yes I know what you mean about assembling the kits.
I tried putting together a few workable winter car kits a few years ago.
Just the basic stuff anybody driving in the winter should have in the trunk of their car.
They were pretty minimalist.
You can not sell such a kit to people who won't even take a winter coat or gloves with them when they know it is 20 degrees below freezing out, because even if they do bother to buy an emergency kit it will be the cheapest and most useless one possible to find.

I wish you luck with your venture.

#160186 - 12/27/08 08:49 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They are buying gear and buying books. I can only hope they buy time to practice what they read, and get some hands on training for at least their first aid skills.

As for building kits, I've built a few for people. I"ve started off from scratch in most cases, or from the PSP or SOL, and it has been small enough that there was no bill- it was a gift. A few people have come to me wanting to build serious kits, and I sit with them, work out a shopping list for the big stuff, and tell them I will expect the following things from them:
1, don't try to pay me past the occasional meal.
2, learn how to use this stuff as best you can, even it means you go camping in the swamp with me.
3, if you die becuase you didn't have it or because you didn't maintain it, I will go into the afterlife and kick you butt up around your ears.

Obviously, these are all people I like.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#160195 - 12/27/08 09:15 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: ironraven]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

What is a PSP?

#160198 - 12/27/08 09:18 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: username_5]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: username_5
What is a PSP?

In the context of this thread, the “DR PSP” refers to the Pocket Survival Pack designed by Doug Ritter, himself.

#160206 - 12/27/08 09:47 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: JCWohlschlag]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Any thoughts?
Sorry it's Discovery Channel and I will not give them the time of day.

#160401 - 12/29/08 07:18 PM Re: Survival is becoming a more popular subject [Re: Desperado]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Granting we can thank the likes of Les Stroud and others that are producing TV survival shows, plus the post 9/11 and Katrina lessons learned, I have noticed survival (not survivalist) thinking is on the rise.

I think Stroud can take some credit. One of the "others" I find dangerous and hope he isn't used as a model.

I do think by far the greatest impacts on the personal psyche of individuals in the USA has been sheer catastrophic mishandling of the big natural disasters, 911, and the continued mishandling of smaller mishaps. People had an unsafe reliance on govt and politicians. The folly is that it all relies on political appointees (of ALL flavors) and not actual accomplishment. All that said, like any vocation, the events above and the response to them showed that in the US we are blessed with a LOT of people at the top of their game who are selfless, devoted, and have the expertise to act. These pople often operate efficiently and perform beautifully in spite of dipstick managers/politicians/appointees and do so without budget, equipment, or even aid. I'm always in awe of them and it always makes me think, "Wow. I wonder what they could do with some actual help from above?". Anyway, here are e-beers to all of them/you.

Thankfully, discussions about necessity and preparedness are taking place at all levels of society these days. It's unfortunate that as humans we can't look ahead to prevent some of these issues and that we have to rely on pain in order to learn.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.