The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158348 - 12/14/08 05:30 PM Recommend a .17HMR rifle
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Seeing all the fun discussion you guys are having with the .22 thread, I thought I'd jump in with a question of my own (without hijacking the previous one).

We've got a severe problem with gophers in SW Saskatchewan. BTW that "gophers" not "golfers" for you Caddyshack fans! Richardson's ground squirrel is the actual name but gophers is the common word. The reason they are a problem is that they create holes and mounds that cause havoc with farm machinery. The are actually going to let the farmers go back to using poison for these pests. Poison was outlawed years ago because it is a non-discriminate solution. The poison also works on other small animals and gets into the food chain and kills other animals that prey on the gophers like owls, falcons, fox, etc.

So with all these little critters hanging out, I am going to volunteer (like many others) to walk out into the fields and do a little target shooting and population control. A .17HMR is probably the best ticket for the fun-factor although not as cheap as using a .22LR What would you recommend for a rifle? Is there a take-down version on the market? FYI, a rim-fire rifle can have any size magazine here.

Secondly, I am left-eyed and right handed but I prefer to handle a rifle as a lefty so a right handed bolt action is awkward to use. So either a semi-auto or a lever action is the preferred type. What type of round is preferable - a fragmenting 17gr bullet or a 20gr?

#158350 - 12/14/08 05:46 PM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: Roarmeister]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Can't add much, but I am interested to see what you find. I only recently learned of this round, but it sounds like a good deal.

Here is an example from CZ that is available in both .17 calibers.

Good luck

PS They also show some .17 in left hand bolt action.

Edited by Desperado (12/14/08 05:48 PM)

RIP OBG

#158354 - 12/14/08 06:35 PM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: Roarmeister]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
i have no firsthand experience with the .17, but if the price of ammo is anything like what the place we "worked" at in wyoming last year charged, i couldn't afford to shoot it...

#158362 - 12/14/08 06:51 PM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: Roarmeister]
jaron3 Offline
Stranger

I have a Ruger 77/17 All Weather. I'm in Pennsylvania and hunt ground hogs. The 17 grain Hornady V-Max bullet is better in my opinion than the 20 grain bullets because they literally explode on impact and do not richochet. To spare you the gory details the 17 grains produce MUCH more damage than the 20s. All bullet weights are very sensitive to wind drift and the maximum range for both weights are about 300 yards. As far as guns go any of them are accurate as heck. H&R makes or used to make a single shot break open rifle in this caliber and can be taken apart if needed. I'm not sure if anyone makes a lever action in this caliber. Ruger may make a semi-auto version. Not sure if anyone else does. Personally I love the caliber. Not very loud, extremely accurate, no kick, and good range. Hope this helps.

#158381 - 12/14/08 08:55 PM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: jaron3]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Just visited with a friend that has a rifle in both .17HMR and .17 MACH 2. He said go for the .17 MACH 2 as it leaves less of the gopher to have to pick-up. He loves both and both are from CZ.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Let us know how it works out

RIP OBG

#158406 - 12/14/08 11:07 PM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: Desperado]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Any particular price range?

Since you are a decidedly left handed shooter a lever gun might be a good option for you, as it can be shot by both left and right handed shooter with ease; and it will probably be easier to re-sell than a left-handed bolt gun, if you ever decide to sell it. It's also faster to cycle than a bolt gun.

Ruger has a lever gun .17HMR, the Ruger Model 96/17M. It uses a rotary magazine similar to the 10/22, which is very nice.

Ruger 96/17

Henry also makes this neat .17HMR lever gun with a normal tube magazine:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001v_varmint.cfm

H&R (NEF) also makes a nice heavy barreled .17HMR single-shot break action. It's supposed to be extremely accurate and the price is very good at less than $180 sticker.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/sportster.asp

Remington also make an autoloading .17HMR rifle, the 597 Magnum LS HB.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_magnum_LS_HB_specs.asp

Finally, If you are dead set on a left handed bolt gun, Savage makes a left-handed heavy barreled gun that is supposed to be extremely accurate as well. The price isn't half bad either.

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17glv.htm

#158409 - 12/15/08 12:22 AM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: Desperado]
jaron3 Offline
Stranger

Desperado-I think that you have the two calibers mixed up the 17 mach 2 travels at around 2,000 fps, the 17 hmr zips out around 2,500 fps. The hmr does more damage. It literally blows small animals apart.

#158414 - 12/15/08 01:01 AM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: jaron3]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jaron3
Desperado-I think that you have the two calibers mixed up the 17 mach 2 travels at around 2,000 fps, the 17 hmr zips out around 2,500 fps. The hmr does more damage. It literally blows small animals apart.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time today. Yes I did reverse the order.

Generally, if my mouth (or keyboard) is in gear, I am about to put my foot in it.

RIP OBG

#158416 - 12/15/08 01:07 AM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: jaron3]
sotto Offline
Addict

Basically, when I buy a gun, I look for a great adjustable trigger. It doesn't matter how great the rest of the gun is if the trigger sucks. I have a Gamo target pellet pistol that is incredibly accurate, in part because of the barrel and the fact that it is very low recoil, but primarily because the trigger is adjustable down to a light pull and breaks crisply. Same goes with the older Beeman Weihrauch (sp) pellet rifles (R1, R7, etc). The have a superb Rekord adjustable trigger that makes an immense difference in how well you can shoot them. So, might I suggest in your search for a good .17 cal rifle, or any rifle (.22 or otherwise), that you try to get one with a high-quality adjustable trigger, if such a thing is possible these days. I shot my bro's Savage .17 cal rifle awhile back in Iowa in the course of controlling some of his ground squirrel problem. It was a very good gun for the money, and we were able to get 1 inch groups at 100 yards in a high head wind. The Savage came with a scope, which is necessary for this rifle IMHO.

#158421 - 12/15/08 01:35 AM Re: Recommend a .17HMR rifle [Re: sotto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
while there is no doubt that a quality trigger is a joy to use, i believe that an experienced shooter can overcome a poor trigger. a friend once bought several of those norinco copies of the m1-a. really rotten two stage trigger, a ton of creep in it, rough as a cob. military peep sight. shooting chinese steel cased .308 ammo in it, we were both knocking down rams on s sillouette range shot after shot, that is something like 500 meters...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.