Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157588 - 12/08/08 12:46 AM New AMK item, any one else seen it?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I saw this at a local outdoors store today, SOL 3. But I haven't heard anything about it.

It is about the size of a USGI canteen, maybe a smidge wider. Looks like they've taken most of the best parts of the SOL and the PSP, added a FAK module and some gear-aid.

Quote:
Bandage Materials
2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, Non-Sterile, 2"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
4 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
2 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 Dressing, Gauze, Non-Sterile, 4" x 4"
4 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"

Bleeding
1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), One Hand Wipe, in baggie

Blister / Burn
1 Dressing, Moleskin, 22 Pre-Cut pieces

Duct Tape
1 Duct Tape, 2" x 50"

Gear Repair
3 Cable Ties, 8"
3 Cable Ties, 4"

Instrument
1 EMT Shears, 4"
5 Safety Pins

Medical Information
1 Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

Medication
2 After Bite Wipe
2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
4 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2

Survival Tools
1 Mini Rescue Flash Signal Mirror
1 Headlamp, 2 watt LED w/ headband
2 Aluminum Foil, Heavy Duty, 3 Sq. Ft.
1 Mini Rescue Howler Whistle
1 Magnesium Fire Starter, 4.5 mm, w/ Striker
1 Compass, Button, Liquid Filled
4 Nylon Cord, #18, Braided, (10 ft. 100lb test)
1 Heatsheet Survival Blanket
1 Tinder Quick

Wound Care
2 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1/32 oz packet
3 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe
1 Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz
1 Tape, 1/2" x 10 Yards
1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial

My thoughts, having looked at in the store, is that it isn't bad, but I probably won't buy it unless it is for someone else. This isn't a review, and isn't intended as such, just my impressions based on the size, weight and inventory.

Give the space, I think they could have gotten the full sized rescue flash in. And I think that 4x10' of cord is less useful than 2x20 or 1x40. I do miss the needle, and I miss the matches from the first SOL- I think they were more instinctive than a ferro rod, or even the sparklite. The med guide is a great thing, but I would have liked to have seen at least some instruction past the heatsheet.

Of course, if our AMK reps are seeing this, while I'm not sure for $56 I'd buy it, but for a freebie I'd give a review. *grins*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#157594 - 12/08/08 01:17 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Clearly the SOL line is a giant product test. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or so at SHOT show or whatever we see a combination FAK/PSK on the market by AMK.

That's exactly what the SOL 3 is. A combination FAK/PSK marketed by AMk.` Also look at the Leader RT kit by AMK.

#157595 - 12/08/08 01:18 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ironraven]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I've one on order to do a review on.

#157597 - 12/08/08 01:21 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ironraven]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
AMK lists the SOL 3 as including the Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine (a good book to have). I believe that might be an error unless they've made a last minute addition. I've photographed the kit and went through the contents for our product page, but there was no book in the ones that were shipped to us. There is an instruction sheet that covers the basics.

#157600 - 12/08/08 01:41 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: lifeview]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Mike, I know they are for your site, but can we get a preview?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#157602 - 12/08/08 01:58 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Interesting, that it seems to have more first aid than survival items. Speaking of which, I don't understand why there's a pair of gloves in it - if I'd ever have to use this kit, I figure I'd be lost, alone, without my gear. Meaning, I can't give myself something, y'know? If I was with someone, I have a feeling I would have more stuff on me.

Ironraven, did you happen to see how much extra room was in the bag for adding personal stuff?

One thing I'd love to see is AMK selling their bags as stand-alone items. I LOVE their bags.

#157603 - 12/08/08 02:02 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ironraven]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

A description and contents photo are here.

As with most all kits, it could stand to be doctored up a little, but it covers the basics plus a little more. I would add some matches, as mentioned, maybe a platy bottle, some chlorine dioxide tabs and maybe one or two other items.

We've had them on the site for a few weeks, but AMK just now added it to theirs.

#157608 - 12/08/08 02:48 AM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Not much room. I figure I could get a very small fishing kit, and a vial with like 7 all weather matches, or 10-12 shellaced strike anywheres, and some chlorine tabs. And there looked to be room to get the full sized rescue flash because it is flat, and some basic directions.

#157640 - 12/08/08 01:37 PM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: ironraven]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Going on that pic of the opened kit, the single diagonal zipper doesn't seem to be optimal for easy access & filling of the pouch.

#157674 - 12/08/08 05:55 PM Re: New AMK item, any one else seen it? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

The zipper is actually around the periphery and the kit opens like a book. One side is first aid and the other survival and gear repair. There's a smaller bag provided for essentials when the entire kit isn't being carried. There's room available in the bag for some extra stuff- but not too much, probably could get a 1L Platy bottle plus a few small items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.