The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#157309 - 12/06/08 12:04 AM Telephone powered light
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Does anyone have experience with these devices? Looks like a clever and inexpensive source of emergency lighting if the power goes out, but the phones are still working.

http://www.8starshop.com/en/8-led-desk-table-reading-lamp-light-telephone-powered.html

I apologize if this has already been posted here.

#157310 - 12/06/08 12:06 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: GarlyDog]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Got me to thinking. Is the power from the phone jack free
(other than the monthly rate you already pay)?

#157311 - 12/06/08 12:12 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: GarlyDog]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Lights like this get posted from time to time. I would not recommend them, not because they are useless, but because the phone system is not meant to power appliances. If too many people use products like this, then the real purpose of the telephone system--to make calls--could be impaired.

The signaling on the POTS (plain old telephone system) relies on changes in line voltage, which is why plugging devices like this into your phone jack is not a good idea.

#157312 - 12/06/08 12:19 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: clearwater]
MedB Offline

Interesting link...

Free electrity from phone jack

It's been forever, but I remember the line have super low current; like .02 amps or some such. So not sure what you could actually run with it.

Edited by MedB (12/06/08 12:20 AM)

#157334 - 12/06/08 04:04 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: MedB]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MedB
Interesting link...

Free electrity from phone jack

It's been forever, but I remember the line have super low current; like .02 amps or some such. So not sure what you could actually run with it.

I previously worked for S.W.B.T. now A.T.&T. (again).
Standard line voltage is -48 VDC @ approx. .25 Milliamperes. YES .25
Ringing Line voltage is approx. 90 VAC.

-----Quote----- I would not recommend them, not because they are useless, but because the phone system is not meant to power appliances. If too many people use products like this, then the real purpose of the telephone system--to make calls--could be impaired. --

Remember each POTS line is on its own cable pair. The short created by the light will "break dial tone" and show that line as "busy" assuming anyone remembers the busy signal. (long gone due to Voice Mail for most).

Too many of these lights will eventually either cause the lightening protectors (read fuse) to blow and kill all power to the residence on that pair or worse. Worse being that the small (standard = 22ga) inside wire to overheat. You won't need the fire steel then, because the ember will be to you soon via the fire in attic/walls.

Save some trouble, use the money intended to buy the "phone lights" and buy more batteries for flashlights you have.

RIP OBG

#157390 - 12/06/08 06:52 PM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: Desperado]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Standard line voltage is -48 VDC @ approx. .25 Milliamperes. YES .25

Wow, only 0.25 mA? That's tiny. OK, learned something new. So these lights not only can screw with the line voltage, but the phone line is normally only intended to carry a very, very small current.

Remember that one of the standard post-earthquake practices, besides checking for injuries, fires, and gas leaks, is to go around and make sure that any telephone handsets that got knocked off the hook are put back. All those handsets being off the hook can overload the phone system, signaling-wise. Imagine if there's a blackout and everyone suddenly plugs these LED lights into their phone jacks at the same time trying to draw power at the same time. From what Desperado just posted, that could cause a whole 'nother set of problems.

#157434 - 12/07/08 12:10 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I mentioned free electricity from a phone jack a few times here on the board.

So far mostly all I have seen online and off are LED lights that have large and humming transformers in them to up-the low amperage. It's actually something I am looking into. I'm looking at apartments and they're all under 700 square feet (Small, I know.) and was thinking about using LED lamps only.

If that doesn't seem doable I think I am gonna get those LED screw in lights for normal 110 volt lamps.

the transformers are not to up low amperage they are to drop the voltage down to close to where an LED can use them. LED's run at 2v and below and don't require much current at all. If your wanting to switch to those in a small apartment then I would run some low voltage wiring around and use one high efficient switching power supply to drop the voltage down. Or switch to battery powered lights and use a good charger like a maha and some good low self discharge batteries.

#157472 - 12/07/08 02:23 AM Re: Telephone powered light [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
IZZY check PM

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.