The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#154208 - 11/04/08 02:09 AM Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Evening folks,

In a recent post I mentioned an extended walk in Panama due to our taxi driver dropping us in the wrong patch of the woods in 1989.

I also mentioned the Vietnam era issue butt pack from dad I had stuffed full of goodies.

While in Fort Worth on business today, I made the "necessary" trip to Cheaper Than Dirt. Low and behold I found that in 1991 they were still making the issue kit that I used to form my survival kit.
HERE

Now they list it as USMC, but I was handed it by one Government Issue ARMY supply NCO.

Granting that they are rather proud of it, I would swear by this kit as the basis of a kit larger than the Ritter PSP.

My favorite item would have to be the Camillius knife, but I really dont want to start another knife discussion.

The Finger Ring Saw is the ONLY one of its kind I have ever found useful, as it is repairable and has a spare blade.

While I profess to be no expert, and improvements in gear have come and gone since its creation, it's worth a look, as all of the included gear it top notch!

If you can withstand the rants, another gent has reviewed it
HERE

It also didn't hurt that I had a Ruger MKII integrally suppressed (don't ask, cause I will NEVER tell who gave it to me incase he is still alive) cause it beat the heck out of snare wire for a little extra snack.

As I am better with an M21 or M24 than a computer, I hope to get better at this with time. That said, if any MOD's want to let me know if I am dancing on toes please do.

Oh yeah, I have no ties to any of the aforementioned companies, except debt.

RIP OBG

#154210 - 11/04/08 02:20 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

it's kinda bulky, but the extra packaging makes water carriers and tinder.

Edit....

And the going price is WAY high I think. Of course the 5 I already have were free, and the spare I bought today is for family training.

Each (All 5) of us has both this kit and a Ritter/AMK PSP kit as the basis of our BOB.

Edited by Desperado (11/04/08 02:23 AM)

RIP OBG

#154218 - 11/04/08 02:35 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nice looking kit, all things considered.

Re the Panama jungles, nasty place that...

#154219 - 11/04/08 02:36 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The fishing kit normally goes north of $50 on eBay, so add in everything else and it isn't really all that high for what it is. And it looks good- I'd probably swap the knife for a LM or a SAK, but...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154223 - 11/04/08 02:41 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Yeah, the folks from the Jungle warfare training center decided we would only need an abbreviated couse after our OJT.

RIP OBG

#154233 - 11/04/08 03:14 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: ironraven]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: ironraven
The fishing kit normally goes north of $50 on eBay, so add in everything else and it isn't really all that high for what it is. And it looks good- I'd probably swap the knife for a LM or a SAK, but...

Hey IR long time,
The fishing kit may be $50 on ebay but wouldn't you agree it is $10-15 worth of gear at best (if you buy name brand lures).
For $99 this kit is way cool from a collector/enthusiast standpoint but way over priced and outdated. Those great Camillus knives never come with a usable edge so why pack into a PSK?
Besides we all know any wire saw is a gamble at best..
Cheers
Billy

Edited by billym (11/04/08 03:14 AM)

#154237 - 11/04/08 03:24 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: billym]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Hard to tell from the pics, but the fishing kit is darn nice. $10.00 won't get it started. Yeah some is bulky (survival blanket), some dull (first thing done to all kits is open, inventory and sharpen), but its a start.

If someone gets any issue type kit, inventory is always a great place to start.

RIP OBG

#154240 - 11/04/08 04:30 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: Desperado]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

nice kit but overpriced for the collectors market i would think..i wonder how much good gear gets lost too someones WW Two display layout..i got a fishing kit a year or so ago on the Bay for $19..i guess i destroyed the collectors value when i opened it up to eyeball the goodies inside..
now there's a subject we could could bash around--military surplus V.S. new civilian gear..

#154246 - 11/04/08 08:00 AM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
As it happens I read Don Rearic's review some time ago.

Only things that that kit lacks is some decent cordage and a bottle of water purification tablets. Also, you should remember that the kit is intended to be used in conjunction with your pocket kit. I purchased a camillus knife separately some time ago. As it came, the edge was awful. But it sharpened up very nicely. That means shaving sharp. And its built like a T-34 tank.

Historically, pre-assembled kits are always expensive. If you want to spend the time assembling your own then great. That has its merits.

If you want an off the shelf kit that only needs a little bit of tweeking, then this comes a lot closer many I have seen.

#154305 - 11/04/08 11:26 PM Re: Long jungle walks & the US GI issue kit [Re: billym]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: billym
The fishing kit may be $50 on ebay but wouldn't you agree it is $10-15 worth of gear at best

Nope.

Name brand lures alone would run north of $10. Buy the line, hooks, sinkers, etc. Find GOOD needles. Add the metal case. I could probably build it for $40 or so, but I'd have a bunch of fishing gear left over to give away.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.