Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154086 - 11/03/08 03:01 PM Best bang for the exercise buck
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
There have been a number of requests for information on more "mundane" survival topics such as physical fitness as a prep for survival. Checking history on the forum, we have quite a bit we've discussed about staying on top of your game.

Road work(jogging) and good old calisthenics seem to be the most economical, and for many the most boring path to maintaining basic physical fitness. I got tired of running and doing jumping jacks, squat thrusts, push ups and sit ups in boot camp, so for me it has to be something a little more engaging, either involving an apparatus or maybe a sport. Now that I am getting older, and because of my size, I am finding that my body won't take as much abuse as it used to, and some old injuries are making themselves known in new ways, so I look for less of the full contact stuff, and more of the low impact stuff. For strength/resistance training, I have a bowflex, which I think is about as good a machine as you can get. For cardiovascular, I've been using various elliptical machines. Ellipticals seem to be the most efficient whole body cardio exercise I can find. I don't care for swimming much, and don't own an indoor pool, but an elliptical is a great way to burn 500 Kcal in half an hour while reading, listening or watching the news, sports, or a tv show. I also find it far easier to regulate/modify my routine on one, and it is easier on my back and knees than a treadmill or a bike.

Hiking and hunting are both great ways to get exercise, except that I can't do either one regular enough. Walking around the neighborhood is a bit problematic due to weather, dogs, traffic, and the lack of facilities should certain needs arise en route.

I suppose if I were an athlete for a living, like my two daughters are now, then I would be more proactive about getting exercise. With my habits, it becomes more and more a necessary evil, much like my honeydoo list. What's worse is this living in a hotel eating out all the time for the past few months. That will ruin your health quick if you aren't careful.

Right now, I would say my exercise investment is running about $2,000. Mostly it is for convenience, as I don't like going to gyms much either.

I guess I am a bit particular, or picky, about how I stay in shape. Good thing for me I can afford to be. There was a time when exercise was a moot point, as I was walking 5+ miles a day just to get to work, and my job had me lifting and flexing and stretching and climbing... Now I sit behind a desk for 8 hours and on a train for another two every weekday.

#154095 - 11/03/08 03:55 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Ever consider bicycling? it's low impact, highly aerobic, easy on the joints, fun, and has some survival preparedness value, as well.

I encourage you to support your local bike shop. They can outfit you with a decent non-suspension mountain bike, a helmet, lights (it gets dark early now), frame pump, heavy duty lock and basic toolkit for < $800. Have them replace the knobby tires with decent road tires, and there ya' go. You can even get an "indoor trainer" for off season. Usually they clamp to the front fork in place of the tire, and have some sort of friction rollers for the back.

If the budget is running a little tight pre-Christmas and post-relocation, there's always Craig's List and police auctions. A set of panniers ("saddlebags" that go over the rear rack and tires) extend it's versatility into the survival, no-gas realm.

Why a "mountain bike" for the road? The riding posture if far more comfortable and less intimidating for new or older riders, and the bikes are a bit sturdier. The efficiency trade-off is minimal for most fitness and recreational riders, and replacing the off-road tires with good quality road tires recaptures much of that, while still allowing occasional riding on dirt roads or improved trails.

I consider most suspension systems to be mere marketing ploys on most lower end bikes for recreational riders. They are great for technical and aggressive off-road riding on better bikes, but they add unnecessary complexity and weight for most casual riders, and the cheap ones don't work that well. Also, they are NOT for improved rider comfort. Get a gel saddle and gloves for that.

You can pick up a spare set of used wheels and mount off-road tires on them for those occasions when you plan to do mostly trial riding. That works well for me.

I suggest considering buying a basic used mountain bike for survival purposes, anyway.

Jeff

#154096 - 11/03/08 03:55 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I've noticed a significant increase in complaints from hand shake partners since replacing regular push-ups with finger push-ups. Doesn't really do much for your upper body, though...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#154100 - 11/03/08 04:10 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
As an Ironman triathlete, (my last one was just a couple months ago), I agree with the swimming, cycling and the running, hiking and the calisthenics. Push ups, Pull ups and crunches are great daily exercises that will affect the whole body.

#154102 - 11/03/08 04:14 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I gave up bicycling due to lower back pain. I spent a butt-load of money on a decent bike once and went to all the trouble to adjust it several times to my frame, but despite this it never got comfortable for me. I grew up bicycling and was not happy to have to give it up, but when it got to the point that I could hardly walk erect after going 5 lousy miles, I gave it to my daughter and found something else to do. I thought I might try a recumbent bike, but after getting on a stationary execise model once, I discovered that too was too uncomfortable to manage.

It sucks getting older.

#154110 - 11/03/08 04:54 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: benjammin]
thatguyjeff Offline

I remember learning way back when I was in high school, that when it comes to calorie burning, nordic (cross-country) skiing is #1 in efficiency. Meaning you burn more calories in a fixed amount of time than any other traditional form of exercise.

I guess that's why those nordic-trak machines were so popular for a while.

I think swimming is #2.

#154121 - 11/03/08 05:56 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: benjammin]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I couldnīt agree more with the swimming - itīs great and fun.

My training consists mainly of trail running, swimming and some strength conditioning, sometimes I add biking and other sports and activities.

I try mix the sports because 1. itīs fun and you will not get bored with only one 2. you cannot transfer your condition from one sport to another too much - for example a swimmer who doesnīt ride a bicycle would get muscle cramps in no time if he decided to do so. And conversely a biker who doesnīt train swimming would get cramps after several hundreds of meters in the pool. This is quite often underestimated fact by people who are specialized. Every activity engages different muscles in different ways. If a certain muscle is engaged in a new unusal way it will be overloaded very soon and you will get muscle cramps. So the only way to prevent this is to train the muscle this way repeatedly. If the muscle contracted and relaxed this specific way milion times in the past, it wonīt be overloaded so easily next time.

#154126 - 11/03/08 06:13 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: benjammin]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I gave up bicycling due to lower back pain. [snip]
It sucks getting older.

After decades of safely lifting and toting heavy objects and people on the job (my personal motto, which I wore on a button until they made me take it off, was "I'm not real bright, but can lift heavy things"), I experienced a significant lower back injury while carrying this really big guy down a ladder.

After suffering for quite a while, I finally went to see a friend of mine, who is cross trained in pain management, neurology, and orthopaedics. He diagnosed essentially a slipped, bulging disk that was impinging on a nerve. Physical therapy, along with a series of spinal injections, completely restored my back, and I have remained pain free for some time.

I would have refused either drugs or surgery, but this worked for me. I'm just tossing it out there in case you are not seeking out all your medical options.

Yep, getting older does suck, until you consider the alternative.

BTW, if you do decide to try a recumbant bike, post and let us know how it goes.

Jeff

#154128 - 11/03/08 06:47 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: Jeff_M]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Bodyweight exercises sure work. They don't have to be boring either. There are tons of options for structuring a varied, interesting workout. Tabatas, intervals, curcuit training, you name it. I would suggest looking into some of the books by Ross Enamait: http://rosstraining.com/
Great stuff, definitely the real deal. Also personally tested by yours truly. smile

Personally, I hate roadwork. With my busted ankle I can still run a good sitance if I have to but I try to avoid the heavy impact as far as possible. I've been using a stationary bike for many years now and it's an excellent tool. Reasonably compact and it's always there, so no excuse for not working out! If I had more space I would certainly invest in a good rowing machine. An eliptical trainer might also be a good alternative.

The real challenge in my case is staying fit now that I have a desk job. I also couldn't agree more about eating out - no matter how hard I try I always end up eating more junk food than I ought to. It's downright appalling how quickly it affects my stamina - low energy, decreased stamina... Then working extra hours and getting back home late, feeling too lazy to do anything by the end of the day... Pretty much the beginning of a vicious downward spiral.

These days I try to do 20-30min. high intensity cardio 2-3x per week, ocassional heavy bag work plus as many pushups and bodyweight exercises throughout the day as I can manage. I also walk at least one hour per day (to work and back). Plus staying active over the weekends and holidays. Despite all the efforts I can't help but notice that I'm nowhere as fit as I used to be just a few years ago when I was still into combative sports.

#154129 - 11/03/08 06:49 PM Re: Best bang for the exercise buck [Re: Jeff_M]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, lower back is my weak link it seems. I found out quite a few years ago that not only do I have an extra lumbar vertebra, but that it is fused to the joint below it. This makes for some unusual muscular dynamics. Having an extra vertebra is not so unusual, but having it fused to another is not so good I guess.

I doubt I will try a recumbant. After trying a stationary recumbant exercise bike, it was just no good for the angle. I would have to just about lay flat to make it work out, or else have it so my feet were higher than my hips. Seems kinda weird.

That's okay, I can stick with the elliptical for exercise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.