Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152550 - 10/20/08 09:53 PM AMK Heatsheets
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Looking at the AMK website I see two different AMK Heatsheets. One is larger and is for two people, I guess, although it says its only 20% larger. Is there any other differences between them? Also, I can;t find out how small they pack. Anyone know?

#152570 - 10/20/08 10:57 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: harstad]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
20% larger than competitors.

Haven't seen the small one, but the two-person version packs smaller than a video cassette. Fits in your back pocket like nobody's business.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#152677 - 10/21/08 03:02 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: Rodion]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Rodion
20% larger than competitors.

Haven't seen the small one, but the two-person version packs smaller than a video cassette. Fits in your back pocket like nobody's business.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

#152814 - 10/22/08 12:26 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: harstad]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: harstad
Looking at the AMK website I see two different AMK Heatsheets. One is larger and is for two people, I guess, although it says its only 20% larger. Is there any other differences between them? Also, I can;t find out how small they pack. Anyone know?

The smaller one is just like the regular silver space blanket - about the size of a cigarette pack. The larger 2 person one, is a bit larger then the 1 person one. I would say its about 3x5x1 inches when folded.

#152816 - 10/22/08 12:40 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: redflare]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I believe the emergency bivy they sell (the smaller package of the two bivy bags on their site) is made of the heatsheet material.

What is surprising is that, the way their advertising reads anyways, the smaller packaged bivy seems to be higher rated for keeping you warm. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Even if it isn't as I perceive it to be, I still prefer the smaller packaged bag for packing convenience. I bought some last Xmas as stocking stuffers for the girls, and as more gear for me.

Those yellow whistles look a lot like the Fox Micro 40 ones I own.

I have yet to try out the heatsheet material in cold climate. I would like to see how effective the thinner bag really is.

#152817 - 10/22/08 12:51 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: benjammin]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
the smaller packaged bivy seems to be higher rated for keeping you warm. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Even if it isn't as I perceive it to be, I still prefer the smaller packaged bag for packing convenience.

I thought the same thing until I used one of the Heatsheets blankets in the Sierras. I ended up making a bivvy of sorts by taping the edges of it with duct tape. It keeps more of the heat inside. (Of course it keeps more moisture too, but at least I was somewhat warm)

Those yellow whistles look a lot like the Fox Micro 40 ones I own.

they are

I have yet to try out the heatsheet material in cold climate. I would like to see how effective the thinner bag really is.

What I ended up using was a combination of a Thermo Lite and a Heatsheets. I climbed inside a Thermo Lite and then wrapped Heatsheets blanket (now a bivvy) over it. Temperatures at night dropped to about 40. I was wearing socks, pants, t-shirt, light fleece and rain shell, while sleeping inside a tent. I was relatively warm, but would get chilled if there was even the slightest wind.

Overall, I would recommend this, or similar set up, only when temperature stays above 50. Anything below makes things uncomfortable. (Then again, I do tend to get cold rather easily smile )

#152822 - 10/22/08 01:17 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: redflare]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, comfort aside, I reckon the idea with these things is to keep you alive more than anything else. I guess long as it keeps you dry in a rainstorm and keeps the wind off your back, you got a better chance than without it. If the reflective heat claim is at all realistic, that'd be an improvement over garbage bags enough to warrant the added cost I suppose.

#152843 - 10/22/08 03:36 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: benjammin]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I haven't done a lot of testing with the Heatsheets and Thermolite bivvies, but my understanding is that the Heatsheets has better reflectivity because of the material. However, there is no way for moisture to escape, so you get condensation on the inside.
The Thermolite has a vent down by your feet to prevent this. The material is more durable, making it last longer in a survival situation or even reusable as a lightweight bag when doing ultralight backpacking in warmer weather.

Either is greatly augmented by some fill material (fleece sleeping bag, fleece jacket, blankets, etc).

#152855 - 10/22/08 05:10 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: airballrad]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: airballrad
The Thermolite has a vent down by your feet to prevent this.

Ew-w-w-w-w. Maybe they should put the vent somewhere else to protect the innocent.

#152861 - 10/22/08 06:21 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: ]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Last winter I used the bivy as an inexpensive vapor barrier liner to my down bag. The bivy worked ok, but I did tear a small hole in it and you'll never get packed down as small once you open it up. For my next winter trip I'm going to buy a real vbl for my bag and I'll put the AMK product (with hole duct taped) in my emerengy gear stash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.