Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#151317 - 10/08/08 11:09 PM We should have a background check to buy a stove
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Woman says she was shot in the leg by her stove.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_fe_st/odd_shot_by_stove

SEKIU, Wash. - A woman said she was shot in the leg by her stove. Cory Davis told the Peninsula Daily News she had just stoked her cast-iron heating stove Sunday when she heard a loud bang and was struck in her left calf.

Davis said a case of shotgun shells spilled about a month ago at her home and one must have landed in the newspapers she used to light the stove.

She removed a metal fragment herself and was treated Monday at Forks Community Hospital.

Danger can come from almost anyplace if you are not careful!

It would seem like a good idea to count the shells when you put them back in the spilled box. I bet she will count them the next time…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#151318 - 10/08/08 11:17 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: BobS]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

#151380 - 10/09/08 11:50 AM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Stupid is as stupid does...

Here's her sign...

She'll only find sympathy in the dictionary.

#151407 - 10/09/08 03:36 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: benjammin]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

What's up with the elitist attitude I've been seeing around here lately? So dropping things automatically makes you stupid now? Everytime someone gets injured, people are so quick to jump on the bandwagon to attack them. What happend to just having an unfortunate accident? It's not like she was throwing shells into the fire, she spilled the box a month before it actually happened. This is just one of those one in a million events that happen. Maybe she could have counted the shells, but that would assume she knew how many were in the box in the first place.

#151415 - 10/09/08 04:44 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: ducktapeguy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
An accident is an unexpected negative outcome not connected to a specific action or cause that could otherwise be avoided.

She made a mistake.

I have little tolerance for people who make mistakes with firearms and ammunition. It is a product of my conditioning as a hunter eductaion instructor and a range officer. Maybe I blow such events out of proportion. It is events such as these that prompt the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. to err on the side of caution and support irrational gun control measures more and more.

If she's not willing to take such hazards serious enough to be accountable, then she should never have had the shells in the first place. Her attitude the month prior is far too casual and nonchalant for my comfort.

Such attitudes are counter-intuitive to survival. She gets honorable mention in Darwin Awards selection.

#151427 - 10/09/08 05:42 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
If I spill shells, I keep looking until I find them all. I know what's in my ammo boxes (most are full) and I make the number in partial boxes, just makes my life easier.

#151429 - 10/09/08 06:03 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a stove [Re: Stu]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m not criticizing her for dropping the shell. I would have counted the shells in the box when picking them up. Assuming it was a full box, you can tell if one is missing. But saying that, I have thousands of rounds of ammo, some of the boxes are not full and I can see not knowing how many dropped out of the box.

I was more pointing out how a simple thing can go bad so easily.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#151519 - 10/10/08 03:55 PM Re: We should have a background check to buy a sto [Re: ]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Don't we ALL keep our ammo with the woodstove tinder?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.