Topic Options
#150986 - 10/05/08 09:48 PM Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#150988 - 10/05/08 10:11 PM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Was there a media blackout? Apparently a no fly zone was instigated over the Bolivar and Crystal beach area just after Ike made landfall.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ua8-XAuLAVs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge0dxJfxsa8

#151003 - 10/06/08 12:23 AM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If Ike hadn't killed them, one of the next ones probably would have, because they would have stayed for that one, too.

They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I guess the road to the cemetery is paved with stubborn self-righteousness.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Poor baby, poor pets.

RIP, Fools... 'tis a pity your families can't.

Sue

#151006 - 10/06/08 01:40 AM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The "no fly zones" are normally made to assist in controlling rescue aircraft. However, I was under the impression there were altitude limits on most of them after disasters. Anyone have copies of NOTAMs for that time period? They should have been published and detail the effective altitudes.

There is also no reason that helicopters engaged in news gathering activities could not be permitted, with prior notification, from being in a "no fly zone". This would keep any other "sightseeing" aircraft out of the way, but protect the 1st Amendment right of freedom of the press.

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

Nothing shows up for Temporary Flight Restrictions on this list. Perhaps it only shows active ones.

#151026 - 10/06/08 10:34 AM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: ki4buc]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
While it is tragic that such deaths have happened, I do not feel badly for these people.....their families....yes.

We see it a lot here in Fl. People think....oh they (meteorologists) were wrong that Hurricane XYZ was going to hit us and it didn't (for whatever reason).....then the next time they think...oh they'll just be wrong again.....or they 'forget' what it was like after the last one hit.....so they stay.....then they call us to come get them, despite the repeated warnings they were given......it reminds me of the joke about the guy who refuses to evacuate during (insert major event here). He keeps telling his neighbors "G_d will save me." NOAA alert, Weather forecaster, neighbor, rescue boat and ultimately (while the guy is on his roof) a SAR Helicopter all come by to 'rescue' him and he tells them all, "G_d will save me." He drowns. Upon reaching heaven he meets G_d and asks him why he didn't save him. G_d replies, "What!?! NOAA, a meteorologist, your neighbors, a boat and a helicopter WEREN'T ENOUGH!?!"

They'll continue to do it......"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson ....so to it seems that 'some' people need to have these deaths occur so to remind them that things like this not be taken lightly.

#151029 - 10/06/08 11:23 AM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: CJK]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
One word:

Darwin

#151033 - 10/06/08 01:31 PM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: ki4buc]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
There is also no reason that helicopters engaged in news gathering activities could not be permitted, with prior notification, from being in a "no fly zone".

If I were working airborne SAR, I'd want them kept as far away as possible.

Once their allowed in and are in the air, it's hard to keep them out of the way of legitimate SAR aircraft.

#151034 - 10/06/08 01:34 PM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Unfortunately, we all must pay for their chance taking.

I wonder, if you take out a life insurance policy, then commit suicide, doesn't that pretty much void the liability? Why would it be any different for those who refuse to avoid the threat and stay where they don't belong? And yet, we insist on bailing them out or worse.

#151041 - 10/06/08 02:09 PM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: Susan]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Susan
If Ike hadn't killed them, one of the next ones probably would have, because they would have stayed for that one, too.

They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I guess the road to the cemetery is paved with stubborn self-righteousness.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Poor baby, poor pets.

RIP, Fools... 'tis a pity your families can't.

Sue

Well said. Those who left, lived.

#151046 - 10/06/08 02:36 PM Re: Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike [Re: ]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Doubtful that those not heeding the warning and then dying from related trauma would be labeled suicide...it would probably be called accidental due to whatever they suffered. What insurance does with that would be interesting. I'd imagine this has been to the courts several times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (sgt253), 482 Guests and 188 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.