Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150507 - 09/30/08 06:34 PM Best Concealed Handgun
colbyhouse Offline

I'm obtaining my concealed carry license - and before I take the required training I need a handgun greater than a .22 caliber.

I'm a larger guy, with little or no experience firing guns.

Can anyone provide suggestions and/or links to such firearms appropriate for me?

Thanks.

colbyhouse

#150508 - 09/30/08 06:42 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: colbyhouse]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Go to a shooting range. Rent and fire many different types of handguns. Find out what YOU like and what works for YOU. It doesn't matter what *I* like.

I would recommend taking a basic firearms class, with range time, and gaining some shooting experience before applying for a CCW permit ("CCW" = "Carry Concealed Weapon", is the term used here in Colorado, other states may have different acronyms).

#150509 - 09/30/08 06:43 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: haertig]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: haertig
Go to a shooting range. Rent and fire many different types of handguns. Find out what YOU like and what works for YOU. It doesn't matter what *I* like.

I would recommend taking a basic firearms class, with range time, and gaining some shooting experience before applying for a CCW permit ("CCW" = "Carry Concealed Weapon", is the term used here in Colorado, other states may have different acronyms).

+100 Good Advise.

#150510 - 09/30/08 06:48 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: Stu]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
I agree with the previous posts. Find what you like. I carry a Colt MK IV 380. I like it because it is small and lite but still has enough firepower. I want a revolver because of their reliability.

#150514 - 09/30/08 07:00 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: colbyhouse]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: colbyhouse

Can anyone provide suggestions and/or links to such firearms appropriate for me?

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly (subscribe) to the defensivecarry.com forums and ask for advice there.

Seriously tho, it is exactly what you are looking for.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/30/08 10:02 PM)

#150528 - 09/30/08 08:51 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: ]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Follow the previous advice, but don't leave the range without trying at least one of Gaston Glock's inventions. Pull trigger + go boom + every time = good.

Craig.

#150530 - 09/30/08 09:24 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: celler]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Here's a chart with some options that may help you:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

#150531 - 09/30/08 09:24 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: colbyhouse]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: colbyhouse
...with little or no experience firing guns.

Please tell me that you will get training from a qualified instructor before you start carrying a concealed handgun. A CCW class alone probably won't cut it. Many of those are just four hour textbook sessions where you study laws and such (depends on the state). Drawing a loaded handgun from a concealed holster is not something you should just assume you can do safely, without training and practice. You could easily blow a hole in yourself (or a family member) when drawing or reholstering. Depending on your chosen holster position, you could be swinging the muzzle across your body parts, or someone else's, and you really need to know what you're doing and have a lot of practice before attempting a draw with live ammo. Some of the first things you will learn are "Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" and "Keep your finger off the trigger". Even people who have been shooting a long time sometimes have trouble with these when they first start drawing from a holster.

#150533 - 09/30/08 09:44 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: colbyhouse]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
With little experience, I'm generally going to lean to a small revolver. S&W J and K frame and the Taurus equivalents, Ruger SP101- if you can find one, the Colt Detective Special rocks my world, I'm on the look out for one at a good price.

I generally would not recommend anything lighter than .38 Special or 9mm, although .32 H&R Mag is very nice and gives you an extra round when you find it. However, any bullet that hits is better than the perfect one that misses, so .22 has the advantage of being cheap enough that you can shoot it a LOT.

I had to pick on the place to save, it would NOT be the holster. A good holster breaks up the shape, protects the gun, protects you, and keeps it conveniently located.

The reason why I like the revolvers is becuase there are fewer things to worry about. You have three controls- cylinder release, ejector rod, and trigger. If you have a click, pull again- if you aren't out, it will go bang again.

One nice thing for these is the Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I don't care how good you are on the range, or drawing against the mirror- when the real thing happens, your reactions will go to poo. It isn't a matter of fighting fair, it is a matter of being able to RUN away, and while their use is limited it is large enough to show that laser sighting aids while incapable of replacing proper iron sights and training to build confidence in skills and have a noticeable improvement on your odds of being the one who gets to run away.

With all that said, find one that you can shoot well. Too big or too small, and you'll have a hard time using it, and if it is too snappy you are more likely to flinch.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150538 - 09/30/08 10:40 PM Re: Best Concealed Handgun [Re: ironraven]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

A big part of concealed firearm choice is how you plan to dress. Do you wear suits all the time? Or overshirts? Then you could consider OWB carry (outside waistband). This is the typical "holster on your belt". You need a cover garment that hides the holster.

If you're less formal, slacks and dress shirt let's say, then you might want to consider IWB (inside waistband). Sometimes you still need an cover garment since the butt of the firearm sticks up above your belt. They have "tuckable" IWB holsters where you can tuck your shirt in over the firearm. Depending on your size, IWB may not be comfortable though (too big or too small people seem to have the most problems). You may have to step down a little in the size of firearm that you can carry IWB. Maybe, maybe not.

If you're more like me, T-shirt, jeans, cargo pants, etc. - you might want to consider inside pocket carry. This is a deeper concealment than IWB or OWB, but it limits the size of firearm you can choose. Some people say they can carry a 1911 model .45 in their pocket. Yeah, right. Remember that "fitting in your pocket" does not mean you can "get it out of your pocket" in an easy manner. Nor does it do much good in the concealment area if your pants are stretched so tight over the firearm that you can read the serial number off the shape that prints through your pants material. Jeans are tough to pocket conceal all but the smallest semi-autos, but a looser pair of pants can accommodate a small 9mm if you shop around for a size/style that works. A J-frame revolver (i.e., 5 shot) may be pocket concealable for some folks, but I personally think it's too fat. If you're one of those young folks that wear the saggy-baggies, you could probably hide a canon in there. Most adults don't want the weight of a large firearm pulling their pants off their butts, but if your pants are already like that, more power to you.

Even deeper concealment can be had with the pouches that hang around your waist in the groin area, under your pants. But I'm not sure I like the idea of Mr. Happy And The Boys sharing the same space with a handgun. Normal bodily functions might be tougher to pull off than usual.

So, before you go out an buy "a handgun greater than .22 caliber" for your CCW class just to have a handgun, lots of things need to be considered. I would suggest borrowing a firearm for your class and then research, investigate, and think about your concealed carry needs before actually purchasing.

You may get more info on a firearms specific site than this one (but no reason NOT to ask here - lot's of knowledgeable people available).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.