Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147406 - 09/04/08 07:03 PM Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Four different lightweight homemade backpacking stoves covered here

Comparison of cheap DIY alcohol stoves

Fun to build too - maybe add one to various kits?

Teacher

#147407 - 09/04/08 07:15 PM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: TeacherRO]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have also been doing some research on alcohol stoves and found this sight to be the most helpful for me. Partly because the site is not trying to sell or promote anything. Purely informative. I talked with Rantor and ended up getting the same stove he purchaced for his DW. One the topics I found most interesting is the fuels that could be used and the positives / negatives of each type. If you want to check it out, here is the site Zen and the Art of the Alcohol Stove

#147427 - 09/04/08 11:31 PM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: TeacherRO]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Another source for stove plans is Wings THE HOME-MADE STOVE ARCHIVES.

28 plans plus links.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#147442 - 09/05/08 12:10 AM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: Raspy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have made just about every stove on the wings site. All work, some much better/worse than others. But I will stick with my "off white box stove" as the best of the bunch...

#147450 - 09/05/08 01:25 AM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: TeacherRO]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I've tried a few alcohol stoves and I like the Super Cat. It's easy to make, easy to use, and works great with my MSR pot

#147453 - 09/05/08 02:24 AM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I use a variant of the Photon stove (which is basically a pressure jet container). The trick is adding a little alcohol to preheat the sides/top of the stove and then the internal alcohol evaporates under pressure and shoots out the tiny jets and ignites. A full stove (1.75 oz) will run for about 12 minutes with a really good flame for the first few minutes. It's almost silent and in fair weather (above 5*C) is almost as good as my cannister stove. When the temperature gets below 0*C, the performance suffers.

The cost is slightly more than some alcohol stoves as I use heat resistant WB Weld to seal the seams to make it truly pressure tight. Next up for me to make is the penny alcohol stove which has been getting good reviews.

The alcohol stove is cheap, the fuel is cheap and my kit is lighter than my cannister stove. The thing is once you figure out how to build them, you can use them for practically any fuel and are therefore great for your survival kit. As an alternate, you can invert them and burn Esbit tablets on the base.

PS. DO NOT use gasoline or Coleman fuel in a pressure alcohol stove - use a Cat or other variant alcohol stove instead. The pressure will build up too much and may explode or at the very least burst a seam!

#147460 - 09/05/08 04:03 AM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: Roarmeister]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have made 7 or 8 homemade alcohol stoves, and while it’s fun, I find a lot of the homemade stoves very fragile. They are designed to be super light to keep backpacking weight down. For an alcohol stove that is durable and can handle some use and abuse the Trangia burner is my choice. It also has the advantage of being able to be transported with fuel in it. Also other alcohol stoves you have to just let it run dry to put it away. Trangia can be put out and the fuel in it saved for the next meal. I found the complete military Trangia kits at a local army surplus store for $3.50, they were closing them out. The normal price for the complete stove & mess kit is only $12.00. A great deal at either price.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147573 - 09/05/08 11:15 PM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: ]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
This may make me sound profoundly ignorant but, can a homemade boil water?

#147575 - 09/05/08 11:21 PM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: Air_Pirate]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup. Very well in fact, depending of course on the amount of water, outside temp, winds, altitude, etc...

#147576 - 09/05/08 11:29 PM Re: Tiny, cheap alcohol stoves [Re: Air_Pirate]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Air_Pirate
This may make me sound profoundly ignorant but, can a homemade boil water?

Alcohol has ½ the btu output for the same amount of white gas (gasoline) so they are not as hot burning as a normal stove. But they are more then enough to do the job. You can cook on them just fine. I regularly use one to cook eggs, bacon soups the complete dinners you find at grocery stores. The problem with alcohol stoves in for the most part they have no simmer and you can’t turn them down. That and at most they run for 15-min on a fill up. But this is normally more then enough. If not just pour some more alcohol in it and keep going. Alcohol flames are hard to see in daylight, so make sure it’s out before you refill it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.