Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147312 - 09/03/08 11:41 PM September is National Preparedness Month
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
September is National Preparedness Month. What are you doing to add to your preparedbess plans?

Edited by SBRaider (09/04/08 12:08 AM)

#147335 - 09/04/08 02:35 AM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: Stu]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I convinced my company to sponsor CPR and First Aid Classes. The "problem" is it's now spreading to other offices...

I plan on going through my supplies to replace anything I'm missing. I need a couple of wool blankets, and I think it's about time I get a new mobile HAM radio, j-pole antennae, and a power supply/battery. Should probably get around to upgrading to General, but I have HF access now.

Going camping later on in the month, and thinking about trying some things then. Maybe, maybe not.

Oh, and taking EM classes..

#147344 - 09/04/08 03:40 AM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: Stu]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I kindasorta try to be prepared every month. But if having a special month will get others to get involved, good deal...

#147345 - 09/04/08 03:46 AM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t celebrate preparedness month. I celebrate preparedness life, it’s a life long celebration to me. Preparedness month sounds like New Years resolutions, here today in the forefront of ones mind, to be forgotten shortly.

Live it every day.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147409 - 09/04/08 07:22 PM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: BobS]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I agree gentlemen. I think that in some way I do something for preparedmess everyday. I inform myself of current world affairs by watching the news, I canned food for the last 2 weekends, I have been exercising to make sure that I am in shape (ya ya I know round isnt the best shape - but it is a shape). I am going to college so that my education will prepare me to take care of the health of others. I would say that it should be named national preparedness - what have you done TODAY.

#147412 - 09/04/08 08:48 PM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: epirider]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I got an organizer for the back of the minivan.

Here's about what I carry in the Caravan now:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post130214

Today I found this item on clearance at our local Wal-Mart for $15:

Holds everything except the two backpacks, stroller and the gas can. Looks a lot more organized now, and I'll be able to put a packing list in the clear plastic window of each cube inside the gray duffel (although that duffel doesn't actually close - it's open topped.

Dave

#147429 - 09/04/08 11:37 PM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: DaveT]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DaveT
I got an organizer for the back of the minivan.

Here's about what I carry in the Caravan now:

Thanks Dave. I miss my mini van, or at least all that glorious storage space. frown

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#147430 - 09/04/08 11:39 PM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: BobS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: BobS
Preparedness month sounds like New Years resolutions...

I agree Bob. That's why I take the opportunity to give a little nudge to my friends and family who aren't so prepared.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#147456 - 09/05/08 03:18 AM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I will be learning traditional ways to make fish hooks from "natural" materials. Then I will celebrate by eating some fish in primitive ways.

#148054 - 09/09/08 09:18 AM Re: September is National Preparedness Month [Re: dweste]
stormadvisor Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I talked with our EMA director last night after our ham radio club meeting. I was eaying that preparedness is an everyday thing and not just 1 month. He said he could talk preparedness to 60 thousand of the 65+ thousand people in the county. When the disaster happens they would still complain that not enough is being done for them.

At the Dayton Hamvention a couple years ago. I was at the MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service) forum. They said that when a disaster happens, (enter Katrina)it is 72 hours before the military arrives to help. People do not understand that if the military moves in earlier they may become refugees themselves. Since wx is not an exact science, if they arrived before hand they may be hundreds of miles from the stricken area. Then it's tear down and relocate.
After arriving, it is 24 hours by the time they are set up and ready to do business. Our EMA Dir. is at least trying to make sure the county is prepared for this. (another long story)

The general public will complain whenever something like this happens even if a proper kit was provided for them. National Preparedness Month is at least a way to try and help the general public prepare themselves.

Can't change the weather. Might as well enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.