Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147913 - 09/08/08 02:04 PM Small prep test this weekend
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Went to the outlet malls in Jeffersonville OH. We left the malls planning to stop a couple exits North for food as the food court there didn't have anything that looked appetizing. On the way traffic suddenly came to a standstill. Turned on the CB and heard there was a Jeep pulling a trailer that lost control and hit an 18 wheeler. Heard that the corornet was on the way and we would be stopped until then. So I broke out the food stash and handed some back to the kids and plotted a detour on the gps and had to do a u turn through the median. Wife was ahppy I had a stash of food and water, was glad to have the CB to know what was going on. She asked what if i didn't have the GP so I told her I would use the paper maps that were stashed in a binder under the seat. I know there are some that are down on CB's saying FRS or GMRS are better but the CB still has a use for gathering intel along the roads as truck drivers still ue channel 19 (and with most running footwarmers you can get a lot of info for quite a few miles away).

#147916 - 09/08/08 02:16 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: Eugene]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A CB, a Scanner, a GPS, a stack of maps, and a 4WD with enough clearance. That will get you past a lot of problems.

Food and water, those are the easy parts. How many people keep some in their vehicles at all times?

#147923 - 09/08/08 02:29 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: benjammin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I know I keep food and water - right now I have a full case - usually it's around 8 bottles
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147926 - 09/08/08 02:39 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: benjammin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't have a scanner in the truck yet, have a handheld in the bob, I might have to make it part of the truck kit or get another for the truck. The gps isn't dedicated to the truck yet either but I take it any time we go anywhere, pulling it out of my bob, I may just start taking the whole bob. the CB, maps and 4x4 are always there as well as the rest of the kit in my GHB, food and water, some folding chairs, a 14 gallons of water in jugs, etc, etc, inclusing a kitchen sink.

#147937 - 09/08/08 03:54 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Got GPS mount hard wired in, 40 channel CB with an el cheapo "stick on the glass" antenna, but it has all the range I need. Got all of our tent camping gear in the cross bed tool box, 2.5 gal of water (at least, usually more), food for 'bout three days, paper maps for whatever area we happen to be living in at any particular time. 'Bout a dozen Travel Jon's for my wife to use if necessary (between the two opened doors on the passenger side of the truck, with me blocking any view from the side. Any traveling female should buy a bunch of those). Handheld scanner with powercord and cig lighter inverter...

#147941 - 09/08/08 04:24 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

travel jons? Are those plastic grocery store bags? smile

My truck is the extended cab so the rear doors open opposite the front so those wotk well for blocking views even though they may not be the most handy in a parking lot (why is it that every Honda minivan that pulls in beside me always parks right on the line, are those that hard to steer?)

#147950 - 09/08/08 05:11 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: Eugene]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
Just curious how useful are hand held scanners these days? I had thought that a lot of communities have been encrypting their police and fire traffic.

Any thoughts?

thanks -

Evan

#147963 - 09/08/08 07:09 PM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: Evan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Evan
Just curious how useful are hand held scanners these days? I had thought that a lot of communities have been encrypting their police and fire traffic.

Any thoughts?

thanks -

Evan

AFAIK, most are moving to digital trunking, not encrypted. This means you should be able to listen to most via a digital trunking scanner. These are readily available, although a bit pricey.

-john

#148011 - 09/09/08 12:51 AM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Travel John (I misspelled it before). My wife has used them for years tent camping, they work great. Crystals (or something) inside turns urine into a non-spill jell...

#148056 - 09/09/08 10:32 AM Re: Small prep test this weekend [Re: JohnN]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Around here the city is analog trunking which a $150 scanner can decode. The state wide system is digital trunked which requires a $500 scanner. Its not until you get to the big cities in paranoid states that encrypt so the scanner can still pick up a lot. Also the scanner can pick up more than the police/fire/ems, you can receive cb, noaa, ham, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.