Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#147199 - 09/03/08 04:56 AM Post Hurricane Reports
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings to all,

The Wildman800 homestead survived Gustave with no damages and without any loss of utilities!!

I have a "Proud Parent" moment. DD2 and her BF have successfully passed through their first hurricane, emergency situation, standing on their own 4 feet.

They systematically and methodically prepared by taking inventory of their BoB's, household resources, took care of discrepancies, got their household chores (laundry, groceries, etc) up-to-date, kept their storm intel up-to-date, made multiple Bug-out contingency plans, etc. They included their DC1 (Dear Cat #1) in their planning. They had no panic, no fear!

They did use 1 Bug-Out contingency plan. With electrical power lost, they have shifted their base of operations/living to the BF's on-campus office which has electricity.

We had decided to Bug-in due to medical needs AND the local weather people had predicted (accurately), that this hurricane would do exactly as it behaved.

I am seriously concerned about the "hype" that the mass media (including the weather channel) poured into their reporting. They are, IMHO, promoting a sense of panic in order to get ratings as in more $$$$$$ for their advertising slots. This will exacerbate problems in the future, I fear.

#147201 - 09/03/08 05:11 AM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Glad all went well for you and your family.

#147208 - 09/03/08 09:22 AM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: wildman800]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm happy to hear that you and your family weathered the storm and all is well.

#147214 - 09/03/08 11:06 AM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: wildman800]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: wildman800

I am seriously concerned about the "hype" that the mass media (including the weather channel) poured into their reporting. They are, IMHO, promoting a sense of panic . . .

I have noticed the same thing, but even from the national weather service. Anymore, what I would call a normal summer thunderstorm is called "severe" weather, with warnings flashing etc.

A hurricane is no doubt sever weather. Even a "tropical storm". But a thunderstorm?

IMO, this approach weakens the message and warnings that people should pay attention to. Anyone remember the fable of the boy who cried "wolf?" Sort of like that. More than ever, we need to do our own analysis of the weather threat and avoid the hype. I prefer decisions based on fact and analysis, not hype.

#147215 - 09/03/08 11:43 AM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: bws48]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: bws48
A hurricane is no doubt sever weather. Even a "tropical storm". But a thunderstorm?

Thunderstorms can beget tornadoes.

#147216 - 09/03/08 11:44 AM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: bws48]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I have no doubt that the national media hypes things for ratings. However, in defense of the storm clasifications, I believe they have an arbitrary list of criteria for each designation. I have no idea who decided on those criteria but I don't believe the NWS is padding the numbers to bump a storm up in severity.

As a resident of tornado alley, I can assure you that a simple thunderstorm can be severe. grin

ETA: Found it... the NWS defines a Severe Thunderstorm as: A thunderstorm that produces a tornado, has winds of at least 58 mph (50 knots) and/or hail at least ¾" in diameter.

#147217 - 09/03/08 12:48 PM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Glad you all survived in fine shape.

"...the "hype" that the mass media...to get ratings..."

Oh really? The media BS us? Please tell me that isn't true (tongue firmly in cheek here).

In their defense, I suspect that a certain amount of that comes from prior incidents where they did not make such a big deal out of it, and a bad thing happened. Followed by bad publicity and law suits...

#147218 - 09/03/08 12:49 PM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: 7point82]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The seductive tendency for everyone is to fight the last storm, war, etc. instead of the current one, because the past is known ground that does not require encountering the risks of decision-making in real time with incomplete information.

#147223 - 09/03/08 01:00 PM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: dweste]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
From what I have seen on the media it looks like the evacuation went as well as could be expected, but the evac centers where not as comfortable as people thought and the local goverments who set up the shelters are haveing to foot the bill.

I stil think building community centers in the city that are setup to withstand the worst case storm would be a better approch in the long term.

#147226 - 09/03/08 01:07 PM Re: Post Hurricane Reports [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Glad your family came through OK! You did a great job educating and preparing them. Be proud.

Bad news sells, good does not. The media sensationalized Gustav, but that does not bother me. I'd rather they did that, then not say anything.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.