The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145600 - 08/24/08 07:12 AM Sailboat ditch bag
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I may be living on a sailboat soon. My normal BOB might float for a while if I put everything into ziplock bags but is geared to terrestrial survival.

So, let's assume I have to abandon ship in the fog off the Northern California coast, or at midnight somewhare in the San Joaquin - Sacramento Delta after being rammed by a drunk going 100 miles an hour in a cigarette, or whatever. I need to start putting together a ditch bag to increase the odds of my survival.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#145602 - 08/24/08 07:54 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Keep your BoB in a proper life jacket and tagline with a large halyard clip at the bitter end. Keep the BoB next to your main hatchway. If you have to abandon ship, clip the tagline to your life jacket and jump overboard with your BoB in your arms.

Keep a signal mirror, whistle, water dye, and bic lighter (in a ziplock or 2) in your life jacket pockets.

If you can afford it, keep a MK79 pencil flare launcher in your life jacket pocket.

If you have a handheld vhf-fm radio, get a radio condom for it.

Know what you're going to grab on your way overboard and know how to get to it in the dark!!

#145604 - 08/24/08 08:10 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: wildman800]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Ray Mears did one of his programs on a chap who ended up in his dinghy for months days. The real life savers were a spear gun he could fish with and bits and pieces he managed to fix a leak with. One thing I don't understand not being a sailor: why have a BOB seperate from the dinghy? Can't you keep it attached to the dinghy?
The Sock

#145606 - 08/24/08 08:21 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: TheSock]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
yes, but it needs to be shielded from sea water/spray, and from sunlight.

#145608 - 08/24/08 10:09 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: dweste]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Well, just look at our own ETS-article on Ditch-kits:

http://www.equipped.org/abndonship.htm

#145611 - 08/24/08 12:00 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: dweste]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

If you need a good underwater ditch bag, take a look at watershed bags. I use them extensively on all my gear, in my pack,etc.. These bags are tough and are rated for 200 feet underwater with a lifetime warranty. I would recommend getting a purge valve with it if your interested. I carried these while traveling and could keep control of all my gear when swimming. Your gear won't get a drop wet with these bags.

http://drybags.com/home.html

#145617 - 08/24/08 12:47 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: TheSock]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not being a sailor either, I am probably all wet (pun intended), but what if bad things happened really really fast (as bad things tend to do), and the dinghy went down with the ship? I think that I would rather have my goodies with me, not something attached to a sinking ship...

#145624 - 08/24/08 01:39 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Not being a sailor either, I am probably all wet (pun intended), but what if bad things happened really really fast (as bad things tend to do), and the dinghy went down with the ship? I think that I would rather have my goodies with me, not something attached to a sinking ship...

I'm not a sailor either but those were my first thoughts too, OBG.

#145630 - 08/24/08 02:24 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Grouch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As with most survival gear, you keep it layered. Some gear (PFD, signal mirror, whistle, et al) should always be on your person. The grab bag with additional gear should be within reach as you start getting wet and whichever life-raft you have should have its own supplies.

While on the West Marine site (following links from DR's website) I stumbled on the The West Advisor. Looks like good info there, probably based on experience and what folks are buying.

Dry Bags are good to have, but once you go over the side, opening the bag will probably result in everything getting wet, so the items inside still need to be individually bagged; and once the seal is broken, your buoyancy is gone too if all it relies on is the air it holds.

Two bags that DR reported on are the ACR Electronics bag and the LandfallNavigation Abandon Ship Dri Bag. I kinda like the idea of a purpose built bag for this application. The bag itself is buoyant -- to a point. The LandfallNavigation Abandon Ship Dri Bag is how I'd go simply because it's a good place to store gear underway and if it ever does go over the side, DR tested it:
Quote:
This was the only bag we tested that had enough buoyancy (when closed) to support a decent quantity of weight, its full displacement easily supported 100 lbs of dense materials. That such bags also keep their contents dry is another benefit.

I couldn't find the West Marine brand bag that DR liked.

#145640 - 08/24/08 03:27 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Russ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
zip lock bags suck frown
I had used them in my lake hike / river exploration bag. They had worked for 1 year but my last trip everything got soaked frown

I think someone here posted a URL to a quality bag company.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.