Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144881 - 08/20/08 04:08 AM More media discussions about preparedness
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In the wake of a massive propane explosion in Toronto, Canada, which caused a large evacuation, the media has rediscovered the preparedness issue.

From the Globe & Mail: "When disaster strikes: Emergency precautions. Are you ready to run? Some keep duffel bags stuffed with food rations. Others ask how much preparedness is too much"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080819.wlemergency19/BNStory/lifeMain/home

I was particularly struck by the comments of one "child rearing expert" who suggested that actual preparations (bug-out bag) were too stressful and traumatic for children, and that a list of things you need was a better choice. ARGH!

Comments about the story above (quite revealing, though not a surprise):
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080819.wlemergency19/CommentStory/lifeMain/home

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/20/08 04:19 AM)

#144887 - 08/20/08 06:46 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I was particularly struck by the comments of one "child rearing expert" who suggested that actual preparations (bug-out bag) were too stressful and traumatic for children, and that a list of things you need was a better choice. ARGH!

Experts! crazy

Note: The "he" in the following quote refers to a six year old boy.

Quote:
He would ask questions like 'Well, has this ever happened here before? Have we ever got a tornado?' " but would then promptly return to his Xbox, she says.

It doesn't seem like this young fellow was too traumatized or stressed. confused

#144891 - 08/20/08 09:28 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: Grouch]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

You know what? I don't even try to argue with people about these things. It's not my problem. I'm prepared, and that's all that matters to me. When disaster strikes, Darwinism will weed out the unprepared.

#144892 - 08/20/08 09:35 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IRT the experts, I am reminded that there are many fools and idiots walking around with many kinds of college degrees.

#144930 - 08/20/08 02:16 PM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
It is an interesting article. The Thread link with comments on the story was even more interesting. B.A. (one of the contributors) was very insiteful and had more information then the article. As far as being prepared, my 8 year old son has a bag that I packed and is set up for him. Only issue with packing childs bag is that it requires a LOT of updating as they grow, eat more, skills improve etc...

Overall I like the mothers preparedness and forethought. May not be the way I would do it, but at least she is doing something.

#145022 - 08/20/08 10:46 PM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd think most kids would be more confident and less worried if their families were prepared.

But I grew up with this, so I might not be normal.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#145024 - 08/20/08 10:59 PM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: ironraven]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have an 8 year old son and last time we had a tornado warning, my son (who lives with his mother) called and asked if I would come pick him up - which I did. When his mother asked him why he wanted to go to my house he replied "thats where my emergency stuff is...", proptly walked to the jeep and waited for me to follow. Ya, I would say it makes him more comfortable. I am still not sure how comfortable his mother is now, but hey, if she wants to get prepared she will. wink

#145029 - 08/21/08 12:02 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: epirider]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: epirider
I have an 8 year old son and last time we had a tornado warning, my son (who lives with his mother) called and asked if I would come pick him up - which I did. When his mother asked him why he wanted to go to my house he replied "thats where my emergency stuff is...", proptly walked to the jeep and waited for me to follow. Ya, I would say it makes him more comfortable. I am still not sure how comfortable his mother is now, but hey, if she wants to get prepared she will. wink

Epirider, you didn't ask, but here's a suggestion: why not make him a kit to keep at his mom's house? I've got a step daughter who lives with her mom, and we've made her a kit for both houses. Granted, she's 17 so has considerably more freedom than an 8 year old. I'll bet you'd feel better knowing that he had the basics when he's with her and, speaking as a mom, I bet your ex would feel better such a thing ever happened again.

I recently made a kit for my 10 year old nephew. He's been preoccupied with the possibility of a natural disaster since the recent earthquake in China. He didn't help build the kit but we discussed everything in it, how and when to use it, etc. His mom was a little hesitant, thinking that it might heighten his fear but she says the exact opposite has happened. No more nightmares since he's had his "just in case" pack beside his bed.

I don't think the topic of preparedness is as much of problem as the way we approach it. Once kids become aware of the possibility of emergencies - and especially if they've witnessed one - ignoring that reality isn't an option. Better, in my opinion, to empower the child against their fear by helping them feel and be prepared for "just in case."

That said, I'm not a fan of too much adult driven, specific talk about disasters. I feel it's better to let the child lead. When they're ready to learn more details, they'll ask!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#145040 - 08/21/08 12:31 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
BacPacJac, you have stated the basic wisdom that has completely eluded the "child raising experts"!!!

#145047 - 08/21/08 01:20 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I was particularly struck by the comments of one "child rearing expert" who suggested that actual preparations (bug-out bag) were too stressful and traumatic for children, and that a list of things you need was a better choice.

People always project their own beliefs onto their children whether its really a worry of the child's or not. And it usually becomes part of the child's belief system as a result.

My free advice for the night: If you are going to project something on to your children, don't let it be frailty and inability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.