Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144148 - 08/14/08 12:46 PM Use of condom as water carrier.
morto Offline

Loc: Melton, Victoria, Australia
I am fairly new to this site and have been digging around in the archives quite a bit, and learning a lot.
If this has been discussed before please excuse me.
I have put a condom in my small PSK. If one had to use it as a water container how do you actually make use of it once it is full of water.
If you tie the end to seal the container you have to break the condom to use the water; ie you havbe to use it all at once.
If you leave it open how do you store it with waisting the water.
Thanks guys.

#144149 - 08/14/08 01:04 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: morto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think that most folks have discovered the points you make, and many have gone to the plastic "breast milk" type of bags for emergency water containers. They seal up, kindasorta like a ziploc bag...

#144152 - 08/14/08 01:13 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
morto Offline

Loc: Melton, Victoria, Australia
My daughter has a six month old baby, maybe she has a stash of milk bags.

#144154 - 08/14/08 01:24 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: morto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This is just one brand available, you can find them in 'bout any store that sells baby products (grocery stores, WallyWorld types, etc). They don't cost much...

#144156 - 08/14/08 01:30 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I'm a big fan of:
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Aqua-Pouch%20-%201%20Liter%20Water%20Storage%20Container.htm

I have like 6 of them. I bought their Aqua Plus Purification Kit as well: http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/The%20Aqua-Pouch%20Plus%20Water%20Purification%20Kit.htm
(IMO its a good deal for the bag and tabs combo).

I have one of them folded twice - top to bottom, then left to right with zipper on outside (directions from the guy from the site), and it fits in my psk perfectly.

#144157 - 08/14/08 01:50 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: Kris]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

About how to carry it with out tying it, if you twist the top a lot, and then kind of turn the very top (not twisted) inside-out it should hold, but it really depends on the twists.

~CS

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#144158 - 08/14/08 02:04 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: climberslacker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

#144163 - 08/14/08 02:59 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: climberslacker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMHO condoms in survival kits, for other than their original intended use, are an anachronism. The idea of carrying water in them goes back to the 40s when plastics were new and there really wasn't much available that was light, compact and collapsible that you could use.

Lacking anything better soldiers were told to use condoms. Which are pretty miserable as water carriers. A latex condom only carries a small amount of water. Less if you try to tie or roll the top. If you tie the top the odds are that you won't get the knot out without destroying the condom. Rolled they are always in danger of leaking. A clip of some sort helps.

Even if everything goes well the latex is sensitive to sunlight and petroleum products. A little oil or grease, or a tropical sun and a day or so is all you can count on. And that assumes you don't drop your water supply, and sharp rocks or thorns don't puncture it. Anyone who doubts this needs to fill a couple of condoms and then try going for a hike using them as your canteen. With near infinite care, the condoms kept in a sock to protect from UV, oils and sharp edges and a clothespin used for closure I got mine to last for two days with one having a pinhole leak near the top. And this was with minimal traveling and movement.

I have been told the large size and extra-thick polyurethane condoms are much better. I may have to try them. They may be more adapted for water storage but, ironically, lass adapted for sex.

My choice has been Platypus bottles. These are tough collapsible tri-laminate plastic bottles. They roll up and remain compact until needed. I have found two of the half-liter bottles fit nicely in my PSK and they are much more practical than messing with condoms or tiny milk bags.

I try to have my water storage divided in at least two parts for redundancy. It also allows you to be drinking from one while waiting for the chemicals to purify water in the other. The larger one-liter version are nice and work well with most available water treatment tablets at the usual dose of one tablet per liter/quart. The larger two-liter bottles are handy around camp and they have a line bladders for hands-free hydration and 2L to 6L carriers for hauling larger supplies.

They are not entirely bulletproof, they can be punctured, but with care they stand up to a lot of abuse. If your careless thorns will poke tiny holes. The same company produced a form of glorified tape that will permanently seal minor leaks in the field.

#144168 - 08/14/08 05:35 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: NightHiker]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I'd go so far as to say that a condom would be an absolute essential to the appropriate kit - depends on what you are trying to survive.

#144171 - 08/14/08 06:49 PM Re: Use of condom as water carrier. [Re: Nishnabotna]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I keep both condoms and KY gel in my plumbing kit. I get some strange looks when people see them and jump to conclusions.

I use the condoms to plug drain and vent lines. They can be inflated to block water or air flow so pipe can be added with less trouble, stink or mess. Once the assembly is complete I thread a plumber's snake down the line with the tip configured as a sharp barb. This slips past the inflated condom, and when drawn back, both punctures it and catches it so it can be removed.

KY is a very good lubricant and good for lubricating O-rings, seals and slip fittings no matter what rubber or plastic compound they are made of. That and it washes away cleanly. Other lubricants can damage incompatible materials, are less slippery, don't wash off when you want them to, and are more expensive.

That, and you never know when your going to run across a lonely lady with a 'repairman fantasy'. It hasn't happened yet but if it does I'm covered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.