The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143192 - 08/07/08 10:41 PM A "different" first aid kit question
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I guess I have 3-4 first aid kit "modules" in the truck, with lots of overlap, but I had an "interesting" one today...

My son and daughter were playing soccer, when one of the other kids came over crying in pain - he had a couple of "non soccer" cuts that were being irritated by his shin guards. The woman who is the president of the soccer club pulled out their first aid kit, wiped down the kid with some iodine, and put on some antibiotic gel, and a couple of bandages, and all worked well. I let her handle it, as she IS a nurse. Thing is, I looked at their first aid kit, and if I was running a soccer league, I'd be ashamed to bring what they had. There was about a dozen Band-Aid, ONE 4x4 etc. No cold packs, no gauze, no tape, no saline/water (although there is running water at the field, so....) No moleskin

I want to make up at least 1, if not 2 kits "for soccer"

I figure, having been watch our team, plus other leagues, our big problems are going to be

1)abrasions - people slide, people trip and fall. The basically get what a bicycle rider would call "road rash" - the big things are to clean it out, and cover it. The part I never thought of - these are kids 6 to 14 - they cry when it hurts. I have no topical analgesics. Any idea what I can add (even if I have to sweet talk my MD for an Rx, and hand it to the nurse) - some sort of pain relief spray?

2)Twisted ankles - cold packs should be good, and some cling

3)Bee stings!! There are a lot of bushes with flowers near our field, so there are a LOT of bees (believe it or not, it's the first place I've seen honey bees in a few years) - a pair of tweezers etc, a clean single edged blade to get the stinger out

4)The occasion laceration from cleats - 4x4s, gauze, tape...

Any ideas? I want to supplement my truck kit (where I have everything but the topical pain relief), and I'd LIKE to "top off" the almost empty "club" first aid kit I say today, as a gift to the league
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143194 - 08/07/08 10:56 PM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: KG2V]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've replaced the moleskin in my FAK(s) with duct tape. When hiking I'll tape my "hot spots" before they become blisters.

Can also be used to make spot repairs of shin guards, cleats, restrain and gag obnoxious parents living vicariously through their children .....

#143195 - 08/07/08 11:22 PM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: samhain]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Beware of FAK/soccer club turf issues. Been burned on this one. Political savvy is a survival trait, and folks are much less rational in their hobbies and volunteer work than they are in the workplace. If there is some way to make it their idea...

The docs don't pass out the only really effective local anesthetic, lidocaine gel because, if applied too often or too generously, it can be absorbed into systemic circulation and cause convulsions. Cold packs are the best and safest answer. Cookies work, too, but it's hard to keep the kit stocked.

#143209 - 08/08/08 12:58 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: nursemike]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Oh, I know about the turf issues - I asked if she would like some donations to her kit, and the answer was yes, so...

#143211 - 08/08/08 01:01 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: KG2V]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
3)Bee stings!! There are a lot of bushes with flowers near our field, so there are a LOT of bees (believe it or not, it's the first place I've seen honey bees in a few years) - a pair of tweezers etc, a clean single edged blade to get the stinger out

As a seasoned beekeeper who gets stung regularly, I would recommend keeping some Benedryl handy too. I really helps.

+1 on Nursemike's comments about distributing medication to anyone else.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/08/08 01:05 AM)

#143220 - 08/08/08 02:19 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: GarlyDog]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Oh - the medications were for MY kids, and like I said, the person I'm handing the "copy" of the kit to is an RN - I'd just tell her to add whatever drugs she wants. I was actually shocked how POOR a kit she had as the main league kit. Drug wise, anything I hand her will be OTC

I do keep benydryl in 4 out of 5 of the modules, and the grab me first bag has it both in spray and tablet forms. I've said before that I have a venous stasis ulcer on my leg, and every week or so, it gets the ITCHIES - Oh BOY does it itch. Benydryl is a wonder in that situation.

A few months ago, a guy at work had a cast, and HE started to go nuts itching, I asked him "want help" - he did, so I gave him 2 Benydryl (well generics, but..) - he was SO happy, if a bit sleepy, he had been itching for days. I remember when I learned WHY this works, it seems that a healing wound releases histamines, which of course cause you to itch (same reason your nose/eyes itch with allergy). The weird part is that if you scratch, it actually causes a histamine cascade, aka it causes the wound to release MORE histamines

Anyway, time for bed - tomorrow they are doing a skin graft on my leg wound (appligraf for those in the know, and yes, I've heard a lot of the jokes), so time to get some sleep - and wish me luck

#143221 - 08/08/08 02:22 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: nursemike]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: nursemike
...snip... Cookies work, too, but it's hard to keep the kit stocked.

The soccer field usually has a Mr Softie Ice Cream truck parked right at the gate - so far I've found that Ice Cream seems to work as well as cookies wink

#143222 - 08/08/08 03:02 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: KG2V]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
O. The weird part is that if you scratch, it actually causes a histamine cascade

I've often wondered about why we'd have that, it doesn't seem like a survival trait. Then I thought about it- it cracks the scab to let infection drain. At least that is the best theory I can think of- does anyone know of a better one?

And everyone can go back to whatever they were eating. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143224 - 08/08/08 03:38 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: nursemike]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
In my experience Neosporin "maximum strength" works well, and fast, as a local analgesic for cuts. Don't know if it would be effective on a large scrape, though. And it's not a spray.

Nurit

#143229 - 08/08/08 05:42 AM Re: A "different" first aid kit question [Re: nurit]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: nurit
In my experience Neosporin "maximum strength" works well, and fast, as a local analgesic for cuts. Don't know if it would be effective on a large scrape, though. And it's not a spray.

Nurit

actually it is

and they also have pain relief neosporin

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.