Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142493 - 08/01/08 04:04 PM Cheap Binoculars
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was in a discount store today (Lidl is a local German discount store in the UK), where they have some good prices on various items such as Malt Whisky and came across some cheap 10x50 binoculars (German made Bresser Travelview 10x50 porro's) costing £12 or around $24 basically the same as the ones here,

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/bresser/travelview/10x50/porro-prism/tvbino.html.html

The optics appear clear and bright and the construction solid and precise. With $25 Binoculars I wouldn't really be at all concerned using them in a harsh environment as I would with an expensive pair.
The card that came with the Binoculars states a 5 year manufacturers warranty.

Cheap binoculars - Any views on the subject?

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/01/08 04:10 PM)

#142496 - 08/01/08 04:07 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Any Binocs are better than no binocs.

I carry a small set of binocs in my Boat BoB and a Long glass in my home BoB/camping equipment.

#142498 - 08/01/08 04:23 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: wildman800]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I was in a customers home yesterday (also a friend I trap shoot with) and showed him the 7X50 Tasco binoculars I just bought at a garage sale for $12.00 while I was on my way to clean the carpet in his home. He reaches over on a table and shows me the Tasco binoculars (7X35) that he got at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago on clearance for $10.00

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142502 - 08/01/08 04:47 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: BobS]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Wildman is right, any is better than nothing and more is better when you need it. And I have a small pair or Tasco's in a BOB.

I don't know much about Bino's but recently inquired with some of my 'in the know' hunters and hikers. My thought was why do some pairs of 10x42 cost $100 and others $700. I found it comes down to ability to draw light into shadowed or darker areas using different gasses and glass coatings.

I think for the price ~$24, its worth the investment to have something around, it that is within your impulse buy limit.

For about that price I just bought the Brunton 7x18 monocular for my EDC bag at REI. I am really impressed so far. Its great for about 150 yards but that's more than enough for EDC. I was able to inherit a pair of 8x42(?) Steiners that are military issue and have a high speed coating on them and they are good to about, geesh, I think 600 yards when I used them on a boat last month.

#142507 - 08/01/08 05:12 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: NightHiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There is certainly a place for inexpensive, as opposed to cheap and poor quality, binoculars. For one thing they can be loaned out. You wouldn't allow your six year old kid to use your $800 Steiners without direct supervision. But a pair of compact, 7x30, Bushnell binoculars going for $15 you can let them have, hold, and use as they see fit. If they drop them in the swamp or leave them on the lawn, where you murder them with the lawnmower, your not out much.

On the other hand, often for that same $15 you can find binoculars that are so poorly made that they give you a headache in five minutes of use. Lens flare, rainbows, optical distortion and the two scopes pointing at different targets can be so bad as to make a pair of binoculars impossible to use effectively. So there are limits as to how cheaply built you can go.

#142512 - 08/01/08 05:26 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: Art_in_FL]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

The Steiners could probably handle rough use by any kid and come through it fine.

#142547 - 08/01/08 09:41 PM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: BobS]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BobS
The Steiners could probably handle rough use by any kid and come through it fine.

There is something to that ... Steiners are tough.

< In the background little Johnny starts breaking rocks by swinging the binoculars on their strap and Jane packs mud into the objective lens housing and proceeds to stir it with a stick.>

They would probably come through it still usable. But somewhat worse for wear. It certainly wouldn't do them any good. I'm not one to baby my equipment but I buy quality gear it generally shrugs off the unintentional abuse and lasts a lifetime with just light cosmetic damage to show its age.

But this is predicated on a baseline of reasonable use and common sense care. Neither of which children are known for.

If you catch your kid getting ready to use your Steiners to hammer nails you break down the door rushing out to stop them. If you saw your kid doing the same with their $15 Bushnells you plan on giving them a stern talk about taking care of equipment and you might pick up your video camera to get the shot. Hoping to send it off to a TV show or have a Youtube hit.

#142570 - 08/02/08 12:40 AM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I wonder if these are any good?

http://countycomm.com/optics.htm

This monocular is a copy of a famous German one that you have probably seen in some of the fine optical houses, but who can afford over a hundred dollars for peeking with just one eye. These copies are so good that you will buy several and give them as gifts. What a hero you will be. You can afford to own several and leave them where you will use them instead of locking them up in your safe afraid they may get lost or damaged. These are good quality at a great price. These rate a 10 in coolness factor. Overall quality is a 9+ due to its Japanese glass optics, aluminum body and rubber-focusing ring.
$9.75

#142573 - 08/02/08 12:47 AM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: falcon5000]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I have a 10X25 power Monuocular that I keep in my van, it cost $15.00, had it for 7 or 8-years and it works good.

#142577 - 08/02/08 01:43 AM Re: Cheap Binoculars [Re: BobS]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For survival situations where weight and bulk are a concern monoculars are a bargain. You don't want to be spending hours looking through a monocular as this is uncomfortable and causes headaches but for general survival uses, like scoping out routes and hazards or orienting yourself to the surroundings, don't require long term observation so a monocular works just fine.

In an ideal world the monocular you get would have fully coated lenses, would be nitrogen filled to prevent internal condensation, would be shock proofed and would be waterproof to a significant depth. We don't live in an ideal world and a cheap but well built monocular might be profitably pressed into service as long as it meets the minimum standards for quality and durability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.