Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142657 - 08/03/08 10:16 PM Rescuers search for missing plane
Sherpadog
Unregistered

There is an interesting and developing search for a downed aircraft. There is at least one survivor who was able to send cellphone and text messages from the yet to be found crash site.

Duncan, B.C. — Search and rescue crews are looking for survivors from a commercial flight across Vancouver Island that crashed this morning with seven people aboard.
A survivor of the Pacific Coastal Airlines crash appears to have made contact with rescue crews through cellphone text messages, but communications have been challenging in the rugged terrain and details are still unclear, said Gerry Pash, a spokesman for the Victoria Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

The Grumman Goose left Port Hardy, B.C., on the east coast of Vancouver Island at 7 a.m. with six passengers and a pilot. It was due to arrive at Chamiss Bay on the west coast about 25 minutes later.
Lt.-Cmdr. Pash said the company conducted its own search before calling for a formal search at 10 a.m. Fixed-wing aircraft from the Comox air force base located the crash site about half-way across the island.
“The aircraft was fully consumed,” he said. “It burned.”

Full news story here:

Google map here:

#142659 - 08/03/08 11:22 PM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
“The survivor is located near the top of the mountain and he has been able to see search aircraft below him, but we haven't been able to see him.”

Thick foliage in the area could easily hide an crash site, he added.
This is why DR has a signal mirror in the PSP.

#142672 - 08/04/08 12:54 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting story. Hope the survivor makes it, hope there's more than one, and peace to the families of those whose luck ran out.

With the cell/text thing, SAR at least knows that there is a survivor, within walking distance of the wreck, up the mountain. Bet they'll have him/her located in no time.

I've seen a fair bit of the Island. There's some very darn rugged terrain in the middle. With the dense, high canopy, I doubt a signal mirror would be visible; though higher up the trees might thin out. Even a signal fire could be obscured, or the smoke dissipated, and nobody would see it.

Wonder if a cell with GPS set up would help on either end?

Staying tuned, hoping for the best.

#142673 - 08/04/08 12:59 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Just an afterthought:

I wonder if a person should have a "cell phone will" left with family that would immediately authorize the cell phone company to release location/GPS information to police and SAR organizations? With privacy laws as they are, this could save a lot of time and red tape in a critical situation.

Thoughts?

#142674 - 08/04/08 01:03 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

They found the crash site and there are two survivors.

There is more info here:

The aircraft that went down, I have seen it featured a few times on a local aviation show and other local interest programs. It was kept in what many say, was excellent condition despite it's age. It will be interesting to see what was the cause of the crash.

#142678 - 08/04/08 01:33 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

The person was able to send text messages throughout the day even though voice send and receive weren't available! Note to self ....

#142681 - 08/04/08 02:02 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I know very little about Search and Rescue procedures, even less about the protocols involved in searching for the victims of a plane crash but I was struck by something in the news report about this incident.

The report claims that the plane reportedly went down 10 minutes after takeoff of a 20 minute flight at approximately 7:00 AM but that authorities weren't notified for 3 hours. The company apparently started their own SAR operations before notifying the authorities.

Is that normal?

How can a company wait that long before declaring an emergency?

What if some or all of the victims could have survived had they been reached sooner?

It was a 20 minute flight, how late can a flight like that be before it's obvious that something's gone wrong?

Am I totally off base here?

Too many question marks?

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#142683 - 08/04/08 02:05 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes text messages only take a tiny fraction of a second to transmit and the phone can queue them up and wait until it gets a signal and send one out then. right after 9/11/01 I replaced our phones with ones that were text capable even though we don't have a text plan the few cents for a message would be worth it if ever needed.

#142689 - 08/04/08 02:52 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: JohnE]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

These are very valid questions and I am sure the that the same or similar questions have to be answered by the company once the investigation begins.

It should be noted that the aircraft is a Grumman Goose and is amphibious and can set down in water in case of minor mechanical problems. Consider that the area where the plane went down is surrounded by water, the company may of initially thought that the aircraft set down with this scenario in mind....just my WAG.

#142693 - 08/04/08 03:18 AM Re: Rescuers search for missing plane [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

To add to the WAG (and not to detract from the seriousness of the event) ...

An industrial charter flight could conceivably have different rules than a commercial airliner. These guys drop into rocky coves surrounded by cliffs and mountains, and radio comms might be a bit more sketchy. If you go whole hog right away and trigger a full-scale coast guard / military search, and they find the guys fishing in their favourite trout lake (on company time), there will surely be "heck" to pay in the press and in SAR charges.

Just a notion, worth what you paid for it ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.