Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140455 - 07/20/08 04:18 PM Fishing lures
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

There are literally thousands of different fishing lures on the market. Many are designed for use in specific conditions to catch specific species. While those specialized lures will greatly improve your chances of having a successful weekend fishing trip at a familiar fishin hole, I don't feel they are the best choice for survival.

I would rather have multi-purpose lures that work well in a variety of conditions to catch a variety of species. My two all time favorites are the 1/4 ounce silver Kastmaster, and the 1/6 ounce silver Rooster Tail. I have multiples of each in my survival fishing kit, in case one or more gets lost.

Any recommendations for other lures?

#140467 - 07/20/08 05:48 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
figtree
Unregistered

I would recommend the following

-medium weight line
-small to med hooks/luers................

my reason being is that its simpler to focus on catching any size vs having all this heavy gear........never getting a nibble from lets say tons of smaller ones, while one may be wasting their time on large game-thats why and assortment and or a medium route is the most siimple to use

-an assortment of
-curly tail grub
-fly style spinner bait with treble/stinger hooks work well
-bait holder style hooks work well also especially if using live bait

-hope this helps

#140472 - 07/20/08 07:18 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+1 on Izzy's info. I directed some hard-core fishermen coworkers to it and they all gave it thumbs up.

-Blast

p.s. Izzy, you get free stuff? I want free stuff!
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#140474 - 07/20/08 07:25 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: Blast]
Enthusiast

I've had bad experiences with plastic lures melting to the inside of my tackle box on hot days. I won't use them anymore.

#140479 - 07/20/08 07:54 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Nice write ups Izzy. Pictures are always a bonus. Especially with the crazy names given to lures these days.

You definitely want to get to know what kind of fish are around the places you are likely to be in if you find yourself in a survival situation.

The majority of fish where I am for example are Pike, Trout, and Perch (though the latter two make up many species of fish).

I almost always fish out of a backpack so my survival fishing kit is just a stripped down version of my every day fishing kit. All my lures fit in a small fly box (I'm not sold on having every kind of lure money can buy). I find that I can catch nearly any breed of fish I'm likely to encounter with a tiny set of tackle which is why the tackle box part of my fishing kit doubles as my emergency fishing kit

Here's what I carry right now(brand named only where I remember the brand name or the lures are labeled). The list changes as my tastes change but there are definitely some main styles I stick to. The list may seem long but this kit is literally pocket sized as it's all in a Flambeau sealed fly box with room to spare.

• Assorted Kastmasters (3 weights in gold and silver. The tiny ones work good for ice fishing)
  • Mepps Aglia Long #2 spinner
  • Mepps Black Fury #1 and 3 spinner
  • 2 Blue Fox size #0 spinners
  • Martin #4 yellow spinner
  • Len Thompson Yellow & Red 'Five of Diamonds' #6 spoon
  • Len Thomson Red & White #7 spoon
  • Red Bucktail Jig
  • Yellow Bucktail Jig
  • White Bucktail Jig
  • White jig
  • Yellow jig
  • Assorted curly tail grub jig bodies
  • Assorted Ice jigs
  • Pickerel Rig
  • Extra snell hooks for rig
  • Assorted leaders and clasps (and other hardware)
  • Assorted weights
  • 2 'Speedhooks' (these are the only hooks with the barbs intact as they're illegal and only for emergency use. Barbed hooks and 'automatic' hooks are illegal in Alberta)
  • Assorted bare hooks for fishing with bait.
  • Card with some 20lb test wrapped around it for emergency, hobo fishing, or repairs

Even this is overkill really. If I could settle on a single size of hook and consider it good for everything, I could cut this down to one of each type.

Google can provide you with many options on what the 'best' lure is but fishermen are very opinionated about that sort of thing. I researched it a ton and in the end most of the hooks I use today are the same hooks I used when I first started fishing as an 8 year old..at least in once case it's literally the same hook. Any 'best lures of all time' list (and there are a lot out there...I like the field and stream one as it's online) have good choices.

#140492 - 07/20/08 09:18 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Nice to know that stuff is all marketing mojo. I've always thought about trying the gimmicky stuff but never really had a good way to be sure it was working. It's quite the placebo sometimes. If you think it's going to work, and you catch fish, then it's because you tried the new lure...fulfilling your expectations perfectly.

I went fishing this morning so since my gear was all out already, I took some pictures since I love posting pictures of my junk.

It started as a Pflueger travel kit but I've since modified the case to hold a Rhino 4 piece casting rod, Quantum bait cast reel, the fly box, a tape measure, Swiss Army Knife, and a precision oiler. The whole thing fits in my hiking pack or goes into the car easy as pie. The only thing I plan to add is an Opinel folding fillet knife.

As you can see I've yet to take advantage of the foam fly holder side off the box. I keep thinking the jigs would like to live there but I'm too lazy to move them over smile

When I go hiking or backpacking I just toss the whole fly box into my pack. It's overkill but way less hassle to just have one box for both purposes.

Edited by Hacksaw (07/20/08 10:04 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#140495 - 07/20/08 09:39 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: ]
Enthusiast

Nice kit, Hacksaw. What do you use those monster #2 weights for?

#140496 - 07/20/08 09:49 PM Re: Fishing lures [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

To hold the pickerel rig on the bottom of the river when it's flowing fast. The river is more silt than rocks so the weights need to be beefy sometimes or the current will just sweep it away. I normally use just a little egg shaped weight or that long skinny one.

I've tried using them as a slip weight too but I don't carry floating lures or floats so that's less practical unless the river is just right.

The pyramid shaped ones act more like an anchor than the round ones do but they snag on stuff more easily too.

#140517 - 07/21/08 12:29 AM Re: Fishing lures [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Any recommendations for other lures?

Think like the fish your after and buy the lures that you think look like the tastest ones.

#140518 - 07/21/08 12:31 AM Re: Fishing lures [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Dangle your toes over the edge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.