The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139836 - 07/16/08 05:08 PM Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I’ve seen Mora knives mentioned here from time to time and considering that I work for a Swedish company, I though I ought to try a Swedish knife.

I couldn’t decide between the Clipper and the Craftsman, but they are so inexpensive I just bought one of each. I could have gone further with carbon vs. stainless, but I already decided I wanted carbon steel (this time). I sprung for the extra $1 each to get the “military green” versions because I have a thing for Olive Drab.

Handles: The Craftsman has a lightly textured hard plastic handle with a moderate guard while the Clipper has a slightly smaller handle overmolded with rubber. The Craftsman has a nice large lanyard hole.

Blades: The Craftsman’s blade is 1/4" longer than the Clipper and also wider, giving it a little bit more heft while the Clipper might be better for fine work. The Craftsman’s blade as well as the bevel where polished, while the Clipper has mill finish and a slightly rougher grind. I actually like the latter better, as it has more character and is a head start on a patina while I hesitant to try sharpening the Craftsman and ruin the nice finish. Both blades are 0.079” thick and where quite sharp out of the box. I wish they were a little bit thicker - it is uncomfortable if you press too hard on the back of the blade with your thumb. Looking at the back of the blade, you can see where the material was sheared, so I’ll square up the backs when I get a chance for use with a ferro rod.

Sheaths: In my opinion, the sheaths are the one place where these knives fall short as a SURVIVAL tool. They are fine for everyday or around the camp use, but I would not “bet my life” on these sheaths. This is because they lack a positive retention of the knife and in the case of the Clipper, the sheath as well.

The Clipper sheath has a sturdy belt clip which is actually quite handy for everyday use as you can slip it on or off your belt quickly. The knife is held in with a light friction fit and the sheath comes about 1/3 of the way up the handle and provides a large target when replacing the knife.

The Craftsman sheath is a little bit more secure as the guard snaps into the flared part of the sheath. It is positively retained threading you belt through the hanger, but the hanger is suspiciously flimsy looking. The Craftsman sheath is ambidextrous, unlike the Clipper.

Again, the sheaths are fine and actually quite convenient for everyday use around a stationary camp where if it is dropped it is merely “misplaced” rather than lost. However, I would not trust these sheaths while moving through the woods without some additional means of retention. Any sideways pressure on the handle or vibration and the knife is now loose in the sheath held in place only by gravity. Now one hop over a log and the knife is gone.

In summary, I probably would bet my life on either of these knives if I find an economical solution to the sheath problem. They are very light and the low cost makes them an attractive option to add a respectable blade to multiple seldom used kits without spending a ton of money. As for which one is the “best”, I can’t say but I will let you know which one I prefer once I have used them a while.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#139842 - 07/16/08 06:01 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
My main issue with many Mora-type knives are their lack of adequate finger guards, particularly with the classic Mora's that have absolutely no guards and a smooth wooden handle. Talk about slippery when wet...

Frost has been rectifying this lately, but not on their carbon steel knives, which simply seem too dangerous to me. Looks as if you're as likely to slice a finger as anything else.

#139843 - 07/16/08 06:02 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I have the same Frosts Mora, and I used a simple fix to secure the knife in the sheath. I used a piece of 1/8" shock cord as the lanyard. When I place the knife in the sheath I stretch the cord down and under the bottom of the sheath. It's tight enough that the knife won't easily come out of the sheath without some effort.

#139844 - 07/16/08 06:13 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Fitzoid]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
My Järvenpää Puukko has no guard and I've used it to cut many things from oily to wet and from easy to tough, many times getting slop on the handle and I've never gotten so much as the slightest cut for lack of a finger guard.

If there were that many Scandinavian's slicing their fingers on knives without guards, I think they would have rectified the design quite some time ago. I also think that they offer finger guards more and more for people with no knife training. It's a skill that's not passed on like it once was.

Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

Of course, now that I've bragged about never having cut myself on a knife with no guard, I'm bound to loose a finger. LOL

As an additional note, yes it's probably best that a plastic handled knife with very little texture have a finger guard. These types of materials are probably another reason for more and more finger guards in designs.

Edited by Nicodemus (07/16/08 06:33 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional thoughts on the subject

#139847 - 07/16/08 06:24 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have these same two knives (except my Craftsman is in stainless, the Clipper in carbon).

The Craftsman is our around-the-house knife. Stabbing into large boxes to cut them down to recycling size, etc. Just general purpose tasks. It is perfect for this use and cuts like there's no tomorrow. I hate the sheath, but what do you expect for the price? And I don't need much in the way of a sheath for around-home use. The knife-to-sheath fit is snug and you end up shaving off parts of the sheath unless you very consciously insert the knife just perfectly.

I like the feel of the Clipper in my hand better. And its looks (very subjective). I also like the sheath better (ignoring the stay-on-your-belt concern that was mentioned by thseng). I find knife-in-the-sheath retention to be adequate, but a little light. I doubt you'd lose the knife out of the sheath during strenuous activity, but losing sheath-from-the-belt would be more likely.

The Craftsman has a larger and more abrupt finger guard whereas the Clipper has a minimal one. Thus I think the Craftsman would be safer for those not well practiced in knife use, hence my decision to use that one for around-the-house duty where family and friends may get ahold of it.

Neither knife is a beauty to behold. They are quite functional, but not works of visual art. I like the carbon look of my Clipper better than the stainless look of my Craftsman. The carbon look says "we didn't put much work into final finish" whereas the stainless look says "chrome plated" (obviously it's not chrome plated, but it kind of looks that way).

I rate both knives as stellar in the functional and quality categories. I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to buy either of them again. They really are amazing in what they can do at their price point. If you want a show knife for your display cabinet ... look elsewhere. If you want a knife to use rather than gawk at, these babies will do that perfectly. Highly recommended.

#139848 - 07/16/08 06:33 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Nicodemus]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
And the truth is, for the price, they have no competition. I can't even think of anything that remotely comes close to the Moras in terms of functionality or durability.

And as everyone has agreed, they're ugly as hell but who gives a damn? grin

#139850 - 07/16/08 06:41 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Stuff that just plain works has its own beauty.

#139851 - 07/16/08 06:43 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Nicodemus]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
If there were that many Scandinavian's slicing their fingers on knives without guards, I think they would have rectified the design quite some time ago. I also think that they offer finger guards more and more for people with no knife training. It's a skill that's not passed on like it once was.

You are probably right, but I suspect there's more to it. Having made a knife from scratch I can tell you that a good guard is not that easy to either design or affix securely using traditional (primitive) methods. It can be done, obviously, but it adds time and trouble. Older (before 1800 or so) knives, as opposed to swords and daggers intended for use in combat, didn't have much in the way of guards. I suspect this was because it was easier and quicker to make them without guards.

And don't forget the ease of carry issue - it is much easier to tuck a hiltless knife deep into a soft leather sheath and have it stay there than it is to secure it in a sheath that holds it by the blade only because the guard needs to be accommodated.

True, these knives weren't typically being used for heavy stabbing or chopping - there were other implements for that. It is also true the steels and thicknesses of these older blades were such that putting too much strain on a blade could bend or break it, so they weren't used the way some people use knives today.

#139853 - 07/16/08 06:52 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Frank2135]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The main reason scandinavian knives don't have guards is that the guard gets in the way for carving, wood working, and bush craft. The second is that they're not a fighting knife and not really intended for one handed stabbing (if you need to, you use two with one on the pommel and there is little risk unless you're over-doing it).

Nearly all of the 'cheap' Frosts knives I see locally have a small plastic guard as part of the handle. It's shape leads me to believe that it's only purpose is to keep hands from slipping onto the blade. But since this $9 knife is a common one for boys to get a start with...typically at scouts or a similar organization, I imagine that marketing works for them here in North America.

I've used many wooden and plastic handled Mora's over the years...with and without guards. I've never had one slip in that way (I HAVE cut myself many times on them but not since I was a teenager). If wet or frozen I could see some risk but when the risk goes up that just means there is more responsibility on the users part to be mindful of the limitations due to the conditions. I think it's been said many times here that any knife will do it's job if you don't ask of it more than it was designed to provide or use it in a way it wasn't designed to be used...handle design isn't exempt from that rule.

My new JA Puukko has a wooden handle with no guard and it's as solid as a rock in my hand. Part of that is due to the fact that it's not painted or varnished. The real wood texture is better than any rubber knife handle.

#139915 - 07/17/08 01:35 AM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Heh heh, you must have been looking at a previous post of mine. Your knives are the same as mine except for the colour part.

As far as the cheap sheaths go, they're passable. But I gotta disagree with you on one point, they do hold the knife securely if they are pushed in completely.

Yes the handle on the Craftsman favours a thumb on the spine sometimes but not always. And even though the Ragweed Forge website says they are the same width, mine aren't - the Craftsman is definitely thicker when I compare them along the spine. (Opps, sorry, just checked - mine is the #780 Craftsman which is 0.098" thick)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.