Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#138138 - 06/29/08 11:54 PM Fallkniven F1
WolfTracker Offline
Lost in the swamp
Stranger

Loc: S. Florida
Hey all,

New guy here with a question. I'm looking for some info on the Fallkniven F1. I'm looking to make it my primary field knife and would like some feedback from owners who use it. I have searched for answers with limited success.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

#138140 - 06/29/08 11:57 PM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: WolfTracker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Wolftracker,

I have no advice on the Falkniven F1, but WELCOME to the site anyway!

Mike

#138142 - 06/30/08 12:20 AM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums ... a great place to spent waaayyy too much time with friends!

Though I don't own an F1 myself, but from what I've read the F1 is a very nice knife. I really REALLY like my Doug Ritter RSK Mk3 fixed blade. Though it isn't cheap, I'd encourage you to take a hard look at it.

One comment though, the F1's blade is pretty thick (0.18"). I myself prefer more of a slicer (the Mk3's blade is 0.14" thick). My first "survival" fixed blade was the Becker BK10. It's blade is 0.188" thick, and I found it a bit too thick to be a good all-around camp knife - also a bit too heavy.

If it isn't with me at camp, then it doesn't come with me.

Ken

#138181 - 06/30/08 11:21 AM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: KenK]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

F1 has a very good rep as a small survival knife

#138205 - 06/30/08 01:44 PM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: bigreddog]
WolfTracker Offline
Lost in the swamp
Stranger

Thanks for the welcomes and the info. I found one, new in box, for $85 so I took the plunge. Will report back.

#138222 - 06/30/08 03:37 PM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: WolfTracker]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
There is a discussion forum for Fällkniven knives. Peter, the maker, drops in irregularly. If the group can't answer any questions just send Peter a note via the Fällkniven website.

#138288 - 06/30/08 11:54 PM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
WolfTracker Offline
Lost in the swamp
Stranger

Thanks, James... I have bookmarked the site.

#138290 - 07/01/08 12:06 AM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: WolfTracker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

another review can be found Here!

Welcome newguy!!!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#138307 - 07/01/08 06:33 AM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: climberslacker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The F1 is Fallkniven's flagship knife . There have been 3 different steels/combinations and one limited run to test the new process used in the U2 folder. The early F1s had a far thinner edge profile before the MORAN type used today. There have been different sheath options and of course the two finishes; dark for those who fancy subdued kit or the shiny ( and less expensive)which is what the subdued blade will eventually scratch up and require polishing to ( Peter is quite candid about this- and everything regarding his fine knives.)You get a knife with a lanyard hole and a small choil which is usefull for breaking wire. Peter will also tell you both are also used to secure the blade blanks during production, but few people complain. There is a small protruding hammer face. So that is a brief and probably useless background >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The F 1 has long been my dedicated survival kit blade ( until the recent car theft of my BOB.)So, what do I think after several years? Many people find the handle just on the small side and less than comfortable and complain the guard is to small.One knifemaker, and this seems endemic to the industry made a direct swipe claiming the unsealed handle would allow thingies to get inside and corrode the blade.But this maker also claimed the choil to be their idea ( not threatening suit against various weapon collections in museums.)The checkering can be uncomfortable to some.I am usualy wearing gloves or mittens and it's moot. I've adapted my hand to the blade over the years much like Marine D.I.s heads to the campaign hat.I have yet to overwhelm the lower guard with my carelessness and cut myself. Nor has the handle rotted off a corroding tang- and I've used the blade in salt water, mud, snow and ice, sand and the most corrosive environment of all- California inner cities. Sharpening a Moran edge intimidates people at first. Just follow the very simple instructions and it becomes second nature. If I can do it you can do it.Is the F 1 sharp? Or is it a prybar? Well, again the Moran edge, a name of recent use to an old design, is what a Japanese sword uses. You won't be making rooster tail fuzzsticks or carving personal spoons and cups for your spruce needle tea with one. But for all the tough chores it works very well for such a relatively small package. Can you break it? yes, Peter even provides the actual laboratory tests and results. But breaking a Fallkniven takes effort, lots of effort ( unless you use another infamous website's methodology) and at most you might snap a small bit of the tip off or put a few degrees of bend into one.If you can bust a Fallkniven, odds are you're trying way to hard and need to brew that Black Tea in your PSK.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> So, what am I hoping to spend my $300 economic incentive check on? There are lots of great blades out there, and I've felt the itch for something different, like after my third, blue 240 Volvo Wagon let me down after 500,000 miles and cirumstances put me in a Toyota. I'll probably get another F 1, unless I can budget another Fallknven I always wanted ;o)

#138389 - 07/01/08 11:18 PM Re: Fallkniven F1 [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
WolfTracker Offline
Lost in the swamp
Stranger

Thanks, fellas. Both of those reviews were great. Seems as if I made a good decision. Like any knife purchase, the best one is the one that fits and works well for me.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.