Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132879 - 05/14/08 04:08 PM How to repair hole in camelbak hose?
raven397 Offline
Stranger

hi all,
my first post here! I recently discovered a pinprick hole in my camelbak hose. I would like to repair it if possible. I first thought of using a bike innertube repair kit, but a buddy thought that this might get something noxious into the water.
Has anyone tried doing this repair, and if so, what did you use?

#132880 - 05/14/08 04:10 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: raven397]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Welcome newguy!

I'd just replace the hose. They're dirt cheap (the bladders are dirt cheap, you could replace the whole bladder for under $12).

If I didn't have that option I'd use aquarium grade silicone sealant.

If it were an emergency repair I'd use a hot glue stick.

#132882 - 05/14/08 04:22 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: raven397]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy! Hacksaw has it right, buy a new one...

#132894 - 05/14/08 06:22 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: raven397]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If it's just a pinprick hole, you might try carefully melting it closed by holding it over a BIC lighter (don't let the flame touch the hose, you just want the heat).

#132895 - 05/14/08 06:26 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: haertig]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Good call on the heat. Maybe a soldering iron to quickly touch it?? How about some heat shrink tubing and a hot blowdryer/heat gun? I would think that would work quite well.

I would think that good old duct tape would take care of the problem too.

#132900 - 05/14/08 06:36 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: Mike_H]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Welcome NEWGUY...Join the party...feel free to jump in with both feet.

Buy another hose, then use the old one to make various types of repairs. Post the results here for us all to learn from. The repairs could be based on what you have in your pack or EDC.

Edited by MoBOB (05/14/08 06:37 PM)

#132903 - 05/14/08 06:39 PM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: raven397]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'll chime in on replacement, too. I broke a hose and went to a local hardware store. They had the identical hose on a huge reel with a few hundred feet. I bought what I needed and just replaced the hose. Rinse it first to get rid of the taste, though. Eyeeew. Wish I had.

The issue with fixing a hole is whether your fix fails when you really, really need the hose to work. The second issue is whether your fix causes nasty agents to get loose into your water stream - glue from a patch, tape, or other repair; chemicals freed by heat to the plastic.

#132932 - 05/15/08 12:56 AM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: philip]
z96Cobra Offline
Stranger

I'll 2nd the heat shrink tubing. If you have any around it would be a quick and easy fix, and it won't introduce any "extras" into your water.

Roger

#132934 - 05/15/08 01:07 AM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: raven397]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: raven397
I recently discovered a pinprick hole in my camelbak hose. I would like to repair it if possible.

As many have already suggested, I'd simply replace the hose and be done with it.

If you're dead set on repairing it, the best solution would be to eliminate the portion of the tube with the hole. If it is located at either end, simply remove the tube, trim it slightly beyond the hole, reinstall it, and live with a slightly shorter drink tube.

If it is towards the center of the tube, remove a half inch (or so) section containing the hole, and then rejoin the tube with a non-toxic plastic coupling.

Most of the better water purification systems include quick disconnect fittings such as I've described to allow for refilling the bladder directly from the hand pump, so that would be a viable source for the coupling.

If after all of this you're still on the fence regarding complete replacement of the tube, I'd suggest going with the insulated tube with the covered bite valve, and then you'll have the additional benefit of reduced freeze-ups in the winter and cooler water in the summer. This might make it easier for you to justify spending a few bucks.

Jim

#132940 - 05/15/08 01:58 AM Re: How to repair hole in camelbak hose? [Re: Paragon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Replacing the hose sounds like the right way to go. I guess it depends on the design.

Some designs I saw a while back seem to have the tubing permanently welded in place. If the hole was tiny I think I would cut a circle of 3M clear packaging tape, wash the hose well with alcohol and make sure to round the corners on the piece you use and don't overlap it, and see how it went. If it sealed well I would make the repair more durable by slipping on a piece of adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing. Or lashing a cover of nylon string. Stacked half-hitches would do it. Depends what I have on hand and my mood at the time.

If I couldn't replace the tubing because it was welded to the bag and it looked like the hole might spread I would probably cut the hose square at the hole and insert a standard double-barbed connector. To get a god seal I would get one that fit rather tight and heat the tubing so it would fit over the ends of the connector. Fit this way there should be no need for any clamps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.