The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#135250 - 06/09/08 12:23 PM S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My local Walmart has the Midland Model 74-250 All-Hazard radios on clearance for $9 (originally $39.99). These are handheld, battery powered radios with the location specific warning capabilities. They were locked up in the cabinet with the GPS units in the hunting section.

It's not a great radio, but at that price it'd be good for a BOB.

Review here.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/09/08 12:23 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135262 - 06/09/08 01:39 PM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We already have three different radios that can pick pick up weather info, so we don't need one, but if we had a need, the price sure sound right; even if that link you gave describes "...Horrendous battery consumption, Large antennea, Flimsy beltclip, Complex programming...occsional use only. This radio is not acceptable for daily use..."...

#135275 - 06/09/08 03:32 PM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I checked this out when I woke up after seeing your post.

My post knocked you unconcious? And you think if you moved to Houston you'd have to spend too much time rescuing ME? grin

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135283 - 06/09/08 04:29 PM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This is a good portable weather radio with SAME capability. Anyone who reads the review should read everything the writer says since he/she says good and bad things. On the one hand, the person complains about the big antenna, but in the next breath, praises the big antenna for the unit's good reception. He complains about the flimsy belt clip but also praises the ruggedness of the actual radio itself. I don't disagree with the opinions, just that it isn't an entirely negative review, for any of you who sees OBG's little snippet of the negative comments.

I'm not sure where the battery consumption problem is, but my 74-250 will last about two weeks on 2xAA alkalines. That's not bad for 24/7 stand-by, particularly running on just 2xAA versus the more typical 3xAA/AAA arrangement. However, running on NiMH batteries, I also get only a few days of use before it shuts off. It's not clear what is going on with the rechargeables.

Anyway, personally I would say this is a steal at $9.

#135290 - 06/09/08 05:47 PM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: Arney]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Word of warning: I bought two this morning and opened one of them. A bad switch has it trapped in "REC. MODE", rendering it unusable. I called Midland Radios and spent ten minutes with a "tech" trying different things to make it operational. She finally said just return it to Walmart. I'm not sure if I'll replace it or just get my money back. I'll let you know how the second works when I try it tonight.

-Blast

#135335 - 06/10/08 01:03 AM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

The second unit seems to work okay, though reception leaves much to be desired. Overall, It might be worth the $9 if you are already at Walmart but I wouldn't make a special trip.

-Blast

#136493 - 06/17/08 10:01 PM Re: S.A.M.E. radio on clearance at Walmart [Re: Blast]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
I just grabbed this Crank Radio at Princess Auto for $7.
Forever Flashlight,Made by Excalibur Electronics.
So far the crank charger, amfm radio, and light work fine.
www.excaliburelectronics.com

cheers
al

Attachments
Crank Radio 001.JPG

Crank Radio 002.JPG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.