Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133892 - 05/28/08 01:27 PM Pocket Ref - Survival Edition???
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
When I came across the pocketref, I was thinking about this idea while trying to add on some more books to my order with amazon to make the shipping charge worth while.

After looking at Sequaia's web site (the publisher), it doesn't but is there a publisher out that offers a survival book of some sort along the lines of the pocketref?

Such topics to include would be (imho):
-first aid
-communications (hand signals - to a helicotor for instance, morse code, how to communicate over radio, etc)
-basic survival needs (fire, shelters, etc)
-knots
-how to use a compass
-basic maps
-trapping
-fishing
-urban survival
-hurricane/tornado warning levels
-top 5-10 language translations (words & phrases, pictures assoicated to the related words, etc)
-can have some of the topics that are in the pocketref (or deskref), like: general info, general science, calendar, hardware, geology, math, etc.

Extra points if its all on waterproof paper and the same size as the pocketref (3.2"x5.4"x0.9")! So, does such a book exist?

You can get Sequaia's pocketref and pocket partner (mainly for the first aid) and you have a tonne of info but none of really for the 'outdoors'.

Just an idea...
Kris

#133895 - 05/28/08 01:54 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Kris]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Good point... Is there a good quality waterproof wilderness survival pocketref out there?

#133898 - 05/28/08 02:01 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Kris]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have several copies of both stashed all around. There are already certain sections of the PocketRef which could be in an urban survival guide but most of the info would not be helpful.

If such a book existed I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Any pocket reference is nice to have though. You never know when you're going to need it. I needed to buy some bulk Hydrochloric acid once and the PocketRef helped me calculate how much it would weigh!

#133910 - 05/28/08 02:57 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Kris]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You will find eerything & more by going to Amazon.com and putting the following into their search engine: "cal99 The Mariner's Pocket Companion (paperback)"

I don't recommend getting a used copy.

#133912 - 05/28/08 03:22 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Kris]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't know for sure, never having actually seen one, but the mini SAS survival manual might work...

#133914 - 05/28/08 03:42 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The mini SAS book is good but buy a Freznel magnifier at the same time. It's even smaller than the PocketRef and the print and diagrams are identical to the full size book...only tiny. I carry one in a ziptop (with a Freznel) in my EDC shoulder bag. If you want to actually read the book I highly recommend picking up the full size copy.

Unfortunately the SAS guide is very 'global' and I'm carrying around information about locatlities which are of no help like which plants to eat in the jungle.

Edited by Hacksaw (05/28/08 03:43 PM)

#133923 - 05/28/08 04:23 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: ]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
The SAS survival flick book was very popular but now out of print.

#133928 - 05/28/08 04:53 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: wildman800]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: wildman800
You will find eerything & more by going to Amazon.com and putting the following into their search engine: "cal99 The Mariner's Pocket Companion (paperback)"

I don't recommend getting a used copy.

All I get from amazon and google for that matter, is the "Cal 99 The Mariner's Pocket Companion Calendar", which is the reference along with a calender. But the newest I can find is from 1998. I do see the reference books (Mariner's Pocket Companion -- Had about 18 hits on amazon) from 1975 and 1986, and the rest are just uniavaible.

Did some google-ing, just keeps coming back to amazon.

Looked on the publisher's site, and nothing.

Are they making them any more?

#133930 - 05/28/08 05:09 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Kris]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Like Hacksaw said, a lot of these books are too generic. Its nice to know what plants I can eat in the jungle, or how to cook an alligator, but not necessary for me to know since I have not been to one, nor do I ever plan on it. I wanted to have something specific to where I am likely to be most of the time. I can only fit so much info into my brain. Like Homer Simpson I think every new thing I learn pushes something old out of my memory so there is a fine balance between "need to know" and "nice to know" information. I could not find a pocket reference book I liked.

So................I made my own.

I gathered every bit of local info on poisonous plants, Eatable plants, dangerous animals, seasonal climate/weather info and some skills(shelters that are best for where I live/hunt/hike/camp for example) complete with diagrams and pictures that I took myself while out and about. I added other things like a constellations chart and the knots and lashings that I use most etc.

Now what I have is a good little reference and memory aid specific to Canada which I got laminated and made into a little flip book about the size of a large deck of cards.

When I travel overseas I make one for the area I will be going.

Besides being really handy for those times when you forget how to tie a certain knot or what a certain type of poisonous plant may look like before you eat the berries it really was a bit of fun to work on.

#133933 - 05/28/08 05:39 PM Re: Pocket Ref - Survival Edition??? [Re: Taurus]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Some more idea can be found in this thread

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.