Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132662 - 05/12/08 03:41 PM Checklists
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

More than once I've gone for my FAK/ cell phone/ multi-tool only to find I hadn't moved it to the right kit...So Here's the question -- Who uses a checklist for prep/ packing? What's on it?

Teacher

#132663 - 05/12/08 03:43 PM Re: Checklists [Re: TeacherRO]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Am I the only one here who doesn't have a different EDC for every day of the week?

#132668 - 05/12/08 04:13 PM Re: Checklists [Re: Nishnabotna]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Nah, I only have one EDC as well. There are certain things that are always in my pockets, and it doesn't matter what day of the week it is, or (unless rare circumstances) where I'm going.

#132669 - 05/12/08 04:15 PM Re: Checklists [Re: jdavidboyd]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

My EDC only changes based on where I'm going to be.

For example Work = No belt stuff and a smaller folder.

#132670 - 05/12/08 04:23 PM Re: Checklists [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I might transfer the Rescue Pouch (photos pending) from my class bag to a plain large backpack if I need lots of packing room, but otherwise it's just what I have on myself plus the class bag full of legally acceptable, but somewhat disconcerting to the untrained eye stuff. No BOB schedule here.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#132673 - 05/12/08 04:57 PM Re: Checklists [Re: TeacherRO]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

My new "modular" concept is working well. I was getting sick of all the God*****d lists.

I bought a bunch of those plastic drawers(like wal-mart sells) and placed all the contents of my BOB, hunting gear etc in each one clearly labelled, cleaned, sharpened and ready to go. I have a small multi-compartment one in the bedroom in the closet labelled EDC. Every morning when I wake up I grab the items I will need for the day. My EDC slightly changes as I change from civilian clothes to uniform so this system works great for me. At the end of the day each item goes back into its space so in the event of an emergency I know exactly where all these items are. Now I don't need to worry about where the items are all the time, and I eliminate a lot of redundancy as this gets expensive trying to add each item to every bag. This routine eliminate me haveing to wonder what pocket my zippo or surge ended up in because if its not on me then its in this drawer.

When I go hunting I go to the bigger drawers and place the items I need into which ever backpack I choose. The items are cleaned and put back in the drawer at the end of the trip and if I decide to go for a simple hike the next day then I just load up my hiking bag as a lot of the items are multi-purpose.
Furthermore, I took a picture of each item in each of the drawers and placed it on my computer in a folder. It makes it easier when planning a trip to drag the pictures over to an empty file to see what I have and what I need. I like this system a lot better than having bags packed all over the place and not knowing wher stuff was.

#132674 - 05/12/08 05:00 PM Re: Checklists [Re: Rodion]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
My EDC also changes based on what I'm doing:

Work: multitool goes into briefcase along with a few other "just-in-case type things". SAK goes into pants pocket.

Flint and steel is always on my keychain.

It is amazing how, in this society, you can have pagers and cell phones clipped to your belt, but if you were to put on a small knife pouch, you must be looking for trouble. Too bad we can't include knives in business casual dress.

#132678 - 05/12/08 05:41 PM Re: Checklists [Re: Nishnabotna]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have more than one kit, but I don't transfer gear between kits, each is complete on its own.

EDC is easy: keys, wallet, cellphone, Mission Wallet, change purse, folder and backpack. Sunglasses will either be on my face or on top of my head -- it's like getting dressed. Moving gear between kits would be too easy to lose stuff.

#132681 - 05/12/08 06:35 PM Re: Checklists [Re: TeacherRO]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
In the evening, when I underess, my EDC gear goes into the next day's clothing, which hangs on a chair beside the bed. That was, if I have to dress fast at night, everything is already in clean clothes.

#132682 - 05/12/08 06:39 PM Re: Checklists [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Absolutely, I use checklists for kits - especially when I travel.

Not only does it work great when packing, but it also helps when I'm on a trip and I realize I needed item X, and didn't have it.

I have three main lists -
The commuter pack/computer bag
The Carry-On Kit for flying domestically
The Europe Kit for travel to the less enlightened regions (no lock-blades, for example)

I print them on sheets of regular paper, and run down the list now and then.

This is saved me countless dollars by avoiding double buying and also helps if I'm not hope to pack for a trip - my wife can handle some of the packing.

For the fire company side of my work, I have a "jump bag"/"go bag" of sorts and the checklist is written on first aid tape which is stuck to the compartments and sections of bag itself, so I know what should be in each compartment and so do other people who might grab my bag.

I also have a habit of writing down anything I forgot or had to buy, or wished I had more than three times. I figure once is an anomaly, twice is is worrysome and three times means I should have never been without it.

Most recently, that was the addition of some 341, 357, 2032 and 2016 button cells to my go bag. There's just a LOT of stuff out there that uses these cells (garage door remotes, keychain lights, laser pointers, tiny radios) and while I tend toward the AA or no way school, it's very, very useful to be able to help someone else out with batteries for their gizmo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.