The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122356 - 02/02/08 03:12 PM Crusader canteen/stove kit
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
I was wondering what the opinion is on the Crusader canteen cup/stove kit is. I purchased one for my B.O.B. and am torn between the functionality of it and the amount of room it takes up in my pack. I Think it would be priceless in certain situations but one could get by with a small titanium backpacking cup as well.??????????????????????/

#122358 - 02/02/08 03:41 PM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: mtnhiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I haven't had a chance to use mine too much yet but if you're not nuts about everything being super light weight it's a good solid system.

I've frozen water in the cups and canteen and ice doesn't bother any of it in any way as it's extremely sturdy. I've also tested to see how long it takes for water to freeze. In the bag and inside all the cups in the system it takes over 5-6 hours from room temperature for the water to even begin to ice up at -20C to -25C. I guess there's just enough dead air to keep things warm. I've been tempted, since there's some room in the bag, to line the bag with foil bubble wrap and test again...not really needed though. 6 hours is plenty IMHO.

The stove I've found is very versatile. I carry a modified Vargo titanium alcohol stove inside the cooker at all times and a 4oz. bottle of fuel (good for about 3 fills) down the side of the carrying bag along with some matches and my MIOX pen.

I've tested the cooker with Esbit style fuel tablets and they work really well but are more messy than the alcohol.

I've also tested using the cup in the bottom of the cooker (there I imagine to retain the goo that can melt off of Esbit style tablets) as a tea light cooker filling it up with alcohol and lighting it as is. It works but is WAY less efficient than the stove. Dropping some fuel down into the cup when using the Vargo helps prime it in super cold temperatures at the cost of some extra fuel. It's worth it because there's no relighting an alcohol stove when it's really cold. You have to refill it and go again.

No matter what you burn, the cooker does a good job of shielding the wind out though I recommend keeping the low 'notch' in the front facing you as that's the only place a gust can really get in.

I also intend to light a twig fire inside of it one of these days and try to boil water Kelly Kettle style...not sure how well that's going to work but if it does, it's going to be an incredibly versatile system.

I carry just the cooking cup and stove in my car BOB with Esbit style tablets and store bought bottled water. It was just a happy coincidence I had two of each to do this with.

The cooking cup only holds about 2 cups of water which is my only real beef. For melting snow it's a bit inadequate but since the alcohol stove is as well I've been tempted to carry the canteen, leave the cooking stuff at home for winter use, and use a more appropriate pot and stove. That being said, I've found it to be perfect for freeze dried entrees as they typically require 2 cups of boiling water be added. I've also reheated Eaterz boil in the bag entrees with it...a bit of a snug fit but the food got warm enough by the time I was out of alcohol in the stove.

You can also buy a hanging handle to suspend the cooking cup over fire but I think just setting it in some hot coals is more effective and secure as the surface area of it's bottom isn't huge and the hanger isn't super secure...guess it depends on what kind of fire you're working with at the time. I carry the hanger anyhow since it weighs next to nothing.

The other thing that might be an issue for me in the summer time is that the strap on the BestGlide carrying bag is very narrow. In winter it's not a problem as my shoulders are well padded but in summer I may have to replace the strap or supplement it with a pad. If I'm on a short day hike I'll carry it just the Crusader system and my MEC shoulder bag and I'm pretty much good to go all day.

#122374 - 02/02/08 05:12 PM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i have had one, but sold it. It was to heavy, expensive and big for what it is. It's just a little to small to cook something properly and to large to just carry it around.

#122433 - 02/03/08 02:31 AM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: Tjin]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I haven't had a chance to use mine too much yet but if you're not nuts about everything being super light weight it's a good solid system.

I agree with Dave. I purchased one of these a few months ago based primarily on the quality of the unit (I bought the canteen with the plastic cup, the PTFE-coated stainless steel cup, the clear plastic lid, and the stove). I choose not to get the NATO carrying bag that BestGlide sells, as it seemed a bit large, and didn't really fit well with my intentions for wilderness or survival use.

My two primary (lightweight) B.O.B.'s are a Camelbak Alpine Explorer and a North Face Recon II daypack, both outfitted with 3L internal reservoirs, along with a 1L Nalgene LC-2 (military style) canteen and stainless steel cup in each side mesh pouch. My extended (heavier) B.O.B. is a 85L North Face internal frame backpack that also has a 3L Camelbak internal reservoir, and once again, a 1L Nalgene LC-2 canteen and stainless steel cup in each side mesh pouch.

The BCB Crusader system currently resides in my vehicle B.O.B. so weight and size really aren't of much concern to me. I keep it stored in a Sea to Summit XS (4L) stuff sack that serves as my "water storage and purification module", along with (25) REI stormproof matches, a Mini Bic lighter, (10) Tinder Quik fire starters, (8) Esbit fuel tabs, (10) Katadyn MP1's, a couple of Gerber bags, and a Stansport flat-folding 2 gallon water storage container. The entire kit weighs 1,149g (2.5lbs) without water. It stays in the car kit except when I am camping or otherwise using the larger internal frame backpack, at which point I simply toss it one of the backpack's zippered side storage pockets.

The only complaint that I originally had with the Crusader was keeping the stove kit attached to the canteen during use. Both cups snap securely onto the canteen, although the stove just kind of hung there due to friction, and would fall off as soon as I started walking. I solved this problem by placing the handle of the stove under the butterfly handles of the cup, and then attached a short elastic velcro strap between the two butterfly handles (connecting one end of the strap to the first handle, wrapping the strap around the front of the cup, and then attaching the other end to the second handle).

I've only used it a couple of times to boil water for coffee and tea, but I am very pleased that I went with the PTFE (black) stainless cup instead of the standard stainless finish, as it cleans up like new after use. The stove seemed to do a pretty reasonable job shielding the wind, but I would generally opt for boiling my water over a small fire instead of using the stove if I were set up in camp for the night.

The other thing that might be an issue for me in the summer time is that the strap on the BestGlide carrying bag is very narrow. In winter it's not a problem as my shoulders are well padded but in summer I may have to replace the strap or supplement it with a pad.

Suck it up Dave -- Bear Grylls actually carries his with paracord. Then again, he drinks his own urine, so maybe a pad is a better idea. wink

Jim

#122434 - 02/03/08 02:47 AM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Yeah well I haven't climbed Mt. Everest either. Maybe drinking urine toughens the body in unknown ways! wink

The fit of the stove to the steel cup didn't impress me either but because the bag is sized to fit the kit, it holds everything together well enough.

You're right the bag is bigger than it needs to be. I would love for them to offer a form fitting option like a neoprene sleeve to hold everything together (it would also help keep the water from freezing)...or something at least less 'paracool'.

#122440 - 02/03/08 04:26 AM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: mtnhiker]
CBTENGR Offline

I have the whole system with the plastic cup and all. I like having all of my hydration, cooking and water purifying gear together. I did not buy the carrying case. $30 for a nylon pouch was a little extreme for me. Instead I went to the local military surplus store and bought a molle style canteen pouch. They have a flap that goes over the top of the pouch and an adjustable strap that holds the flap down. If you don't mind having a bit of the canteen showing, the molle pouch holds the cup, canteen, canteen cook cup and the stove. It also has two small exterior pouches for fire starting, small fuel tabs, or water purification tabs. The molle pouch cost me $10.

#122449 - 02/03/08 11:29 AM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: ]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Yeah well I haven't climbed Mt. Everest either. Maybe drinking urine toughens the body in unknown ways! wink

yeah, after you die of blood poisoning, you could freeze solid or, in the desert, be dried into jerky by the sun. That'll toughen the skin quite nicely. crazy

When i go out camping, i carry the US version of this kit, which i think is better since everything fits together perfectly inside the belt pouch. My only gripe is that the pouch only has one little outer pouch, which is just big enough for a bottle of iodine tabs and a book of matches. It'd be nice if it had some more larger compartments for other small gear like trioxane tabs or proper matches.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#122451 - 02/03/08 12:10 PM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: Erik_B]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Erik_B

yeah, after you die of blood poisoning, you could freeze solid or, in the desert, be dried into jerky by the sun. That'll toughen the skin quite nicely. crazy

When i go out camping, i carry the US version of this kit, which i think is better since everything fits together perfectly inside the belt pouch. My only gripe is that the pouch only has one little outer pouch, which is just big enough for a bottle of iodine tabs and a book of matches. It'd be nice if it had some more larger compartments for other small gear like trioxane tabs or proper matches.

There are belt pouches available for the crusader. The Crusader is better build, has markings in them and more accessories available, than the US version. Compared to the US version the crusador looks and feels a more as a proper quality item. It also fits together just fine.

#122458 - 02/03/08 03:36 PM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: Tjin]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
I assume you're comparing plastic to plastic, and i totally agree the plastic US GI plastic canteens are weak. I personally use an aluminum canteen that i've had for years.
i've got an older one that i think might be made of steel. Got it from my grandfather, and he used it when he served.

Edited by Erik_B (02/03/08 03:44 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#122486 - 02/03/08 06:16 PM Re: Crusader canteen/stove kit [Re: Erik_B]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Erik_B
I assume you're comparing plastic to plastic, and i totally agree the plastic US GI plastic canteens are weak. I personally use an aluminum canteen that i've had for years.
i've got an older one that i think might be made of steel. Got it from my grandfather, and he used it when he served.

No i wasn;t just comparing the plastic. The SS cup is finished to a higher degree. The design of the cup is also more complicated. The handles are asymmetrical, so they fit in to each other to a certain degree, allowing to to be hold more easily. The rim is finished better, so you can more easily poor without loosing some liquids, etc. It doesn't differ a lot in function, but it does in the quality.

The plastic bottle has a better seal and is design to fit a additional plastic cup over the top.

But due to it's higher weight and larger size, i sold mine Crusader setup. Now owned by a fellow forum member here. I do still have the dutch army field bottle, cup, holder, etc, which is pretty much identical to the US version. I like the smaller size and weight. But that one will probably be replaced also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.