Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133165 - 05/18/08 01:45 AM where do you carry the whistle?
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
rather than hijack a post about whistles, let's start afresh.

where do you carry your whistle?

i carry a whistle on my car keyring. recent stories about cars over the edge or people trapped under buildings post earthquakes spurred me to this.

i day hike. i carry a 'storm' whistle in a pouch on the waistband of my backpack. it may be hard to reach and dig out in a hurry if i walk off a trail down a slope.

i also carry an 'acr' whistle around my neck on my dog tag chain. which, as a recent poster noted - thank you very much - stands a 50-50 chance of ending up between my shoulder blades if i crash off a trail.

perhaps a mountain out of a molehill, but...curious minds want to know...

where and why?

#133166 - 05/18/08 02:10 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: bsmith]
11BINF Offline

Loc: phx. az. u.s.a
i carry it in my pocket with a bit of dummy cord to a beltloop along with my flint and steel...it lays flat and is not a problem...vince g. 11b inf...

#133170 - 05/18/08 03:55 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: bsmith]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I carry a bunch of whistles.

I have 3 large key rings (work, home and play) and each have a whistle of a different colour so I can quickly tell one from another. I am now switching brands of whistles on the key rings (they were all Fox 40's) so I can tell by feel which ring of keys I have. I carry another whistle on my work belt, actually 2 if you count the 1 in my mini-PSK. When off playing in the bush I have one clipped to my Nite-ize pockets pouch and another buried in the mini-kit in my EDC cell phone pouch. More whistles can also be found in every vehicle, boat, ATV, snowmobile, PSK and FAK plus in my shaving kit attached to a small flashlight. Whistles are a cheap but very effective signaling device.

I even have a whistle collection that I use when teaching signaling to children, the kids blow the whistles and we rank them by loudness.

Mike

#133172 - 05/18/08 06:15 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: SwampDonkey]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

In one of my EDC's (I have several I can choose from, because it's fun in life to mix things up a little, lol) I've got a pealess metal whistle clipped on to my black SAK Compact model, and with that a black Photon.

And in a hand-made pouch I threw together, I've got another pealess whistle I have from some type of a convention, along with a locking-blade SAK, a flint/steel, compass, and some petroleum jelly/cotton balls in a baggie.

I've never had the need to blow on them in an emergency but they're there for that purpose should the need arise. And for me that's all that matters.

#133173 - 05/18/08 08:50 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
One on my compass lanyard.
One dummy corded into my jacket pocket, when out and about.
One on my car keys.
One on my flotation suit.

#133174 - 05/18/08 09:01 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: Johno]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I have a cut down Fox 40 on my EDC PSK Keyring and several different kinds of whistles in various other PSKs.

#133180 - 05/18/08 10:56 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: Nicodemus]
Hookpunch Offline

I keep a Fox 40 on EDC keyring (i.e. house and car keys), a Storm
in the glove box of my main vehicle and a Fox 40 in the second car.

In my emergency kits BOBs, I usually have a whistle and some spares for the rest of the family.

#133181 - 05/18/08 11:41 AM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: bsmith]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Everywhere. I mean literally everywhere, even on the plane.

While I've not used it in an actual life or death situation, I have used it for a number of interesting things like stopping a moonbounce full of kids to retrieve my three-year old who had been bopped in the nose and I needed to get the other kids to stop jumping so I could get in and grab my kid.

We've also used it at impromptu games of soccer to referee, and we were at a festival and there were various races (sack race, 3-legged race) and it was fun to become the race-starter.

But I carry it mostly for the NYC factor. Three things I think I need in NYC if I survive the initial blast - a way to signal rescuers, a bandanna to cover my face to lower the risk of long-term illness from the dust, a light to see my way, and some water to drink and keep my bandanna wet. All of this is on my person all the time, everywhere except in the shower and in the swimming pool.

#133184 - 05/18/08 12:48 PM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Three things I think I need in NYC if I survive the initial blast - a way to signal rescuers, a bandanna to cover my face to lower the risk of long-term illness from the dust, a light to see my way, and some water to drink and keep my bandanna wet.

That's actually four things. wink

I've heard it said that there are three types of actuarys; those that can count and those that can't.

Jim

#133185 - 05/18/08 01:24 PM Re: where do you carry the whistle? [Re: Paragon]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
I carry a DR PSK so I have it with me pretty much all day
(except when sleeping then it's about 12" away from my head)
Like Martin said you never know when it will be needed.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.