Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131156 - 04/26/08 03:38 AM Laptop Backpack
suertetres Offline
Stranger

Ok- i know a laptop is not an essential piece of survival equipment- well to some it is- but i currently carry all my gear in a Northface Recon Backpack- however it doesn't fit my laptop.

any good suggestions on a good laptop backpack that is sturdy and will carry gear as well as a laptop? Usual gear, is gun, extra holster, ammo, shot shells, fire starter, flashlight, extra knives, pens, lighters, first aid, sting kit-etc..nothing fancy.

I'm looking at the swiss gear synergy backpack= does anyone know if these hold up well?

Thanks!

#131157 - 04/26/08 04:08 AM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Hands down the Targus Matrix: Product page My brother carried this pack for 2+ years and when he graduated he gave it to me and I have been carrying it for 2 years. I have not had a single problem with it the entire life of the bag. Click for pics of the Matrix and my edc (link)

Good luck picking a bag!!!

#131159 - 04/26/08 05:03 AM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: Rusty]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

I have used a few different bags from Crumpler for computers and cameras and have found that they hold up very well and do not generally look like computer or camera bags.

Their site is a little goofy but the products are great:

http://www.crumplerbags.com

I currently haul my computer and a basic camera around in their Customary Barge which also lets me pack a camera and a couple of lenses and looks like a basic book pack. The padded camera case can be removed to provide a lot of extra storage.

#131164 - 04/26/08 11:21 AM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I carry my laptop in a bag like this one from bug out gear.Bugout Bag Mine's black, but look carefully at that site. Mine has the extra outside pocket with MOLLE attachments like the ACU or Tan one, the black one on that site doesn't. Its a heavier bag, with a belt and sternum strap to help with load bearing. The larger front pocket is perfect for a laptop (I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, for size), I also put the laptop inside a semi-rigid case before putting it into the bag, so that adds some protection and a small amount of bulk. The main compartment expands slightly and will hold plenty of gear. My brother has one identical and uses it as carry on luggage for short trips.

#131166 - 04/26/08 01:01 PM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I carry 2 Israeli Parachutist Messenger Bags. One is my paperwork management bag and the other is my electronics bag.

The paperwork management bag has: Log book, steno pad, spare glasses and sunglasses, bic lighter, driving gloves, chargers for cell phone, and a few other items.

The electronics bag has: laptop computer, power supply, cd's, bic lighter, and other electronic items.

#131172 - 04/26/08 01:28 PM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: wildman800]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
The best laptop bag is one that's not a laptop bag. Then you aren't such a target for thieves.
The Sock

#131175 - 04/26/08 01:57 PM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My personal favorite- pick the pack you like the best. Doesn't have a laptop sleeve, big deal. You can buy sleeves that you put the lap top in then put into a bigger bag, OR buy 1/2" (or 1" or thicker) close cell foam, and make your own sleeve.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#131181 - 04/26/08 03:01 PM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: ironraven]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Or even wrapped three times with bubble wrap and a rubber band to hold it.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
My personal favorite- pick the pack you like the best. Doesn't have a laptop sleeve, big deal. You can buy sleeves that you put the lap top in then put into a bigger bag, OR buy 1/2" (or 1" or thicker) close cell foam, and make your own sleeve.

#131189 - 04/26/08 04:57 PM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I haven't looked at the Synergy but I've been using their Swiss Gear Maxxum for the last two years. This semester it's had up to 40lbs worth of books, notebooks, & laptop two days a week & lighter loads the other three and walking about a mile round trip to classes. The only change I'd make would be to add a waist belt.

Edit:
Letting all the compression straps loose will give you an extra two inches worth of capacity in an open topped pocket just the right size for text books.

Edited by UTAlumnus (04/26/08 05:01 PM)

#131235 - 04/27/08 01:28 AM Re: Laptop Backpack [Re: suertetres]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Just recently picked up a Maxpedition Typhoon Gearslinger. It holds my 12" screen laptop, might hold a 13.3 but not anything larger. Has two outside pockets for accessory gear, a small pocket I put my ham HT in, a built in tactical flashlight holder and an interior pocket for either a 50oz hydration bladder or a weapon. Has single over the shoulder strap, waist strap and plenty of MOLLE webbing.

So far so good, seems well constructed and offers plenty of configuration options if you add some MOLLE pouches. I also use a couple of Grimlok carbiners to hold a water bottle and keys.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.