Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#129303 - 04/04/08 02:49 PM Homebrew survival kit
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I found this at my mom's house last week, left on top of the back of a shelf in the basement. My dad (who died about 4 years ago) was alway one to have some extra "stuff" around, and here's one of several bare bones survival kits he'd keep in a trunk or sitting around for when we went camping or whatever.

This thing is at least 30 years old, as evidenced by it being in a one-pound Kroger's coffee can. Dad made his own wire coat hanger bail handle. There's the residue of a strip of duct tape that held the lid on - that stuff never dies. Then there's the contents: Four paper cups, a plastic bag holding several tea bags and two books of paper matches, a broken plastic spoon and fork, two candles and a large rubber band. I'm sure there had once been a few other odds and ends in there - a can of sterno or a can of sardines. Those were the kinds of things my dad kept around.

Finding it was a real blast from the past - took me back to summer days canoeing or waiting out a tornado warning in the basement with candles, the radio on and playing a card game.

So - proof that I come by this packrat/low budget survival kit habit honestly. :-)

Dave

#129306 - 04/04/08 03:03 PM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: DaveT]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
DaveT,
What a find! I have several things from my Dad, from days gone by that I consider real treasures. Being prepared seems to be in your blood. Congrats.

#129339 - 04/05/08 12:08 AM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: DaveT]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
DaveT,

Sorry for your loss.

I don't know but maybe I sense/feel that your Dad is still with you. Maybe that kit is a way to show/guide you.

Blitz

#129342 - 04/05/08 01:16 AM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: ]
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
Oh Boy; a Time Capsule!

Back in the day when........Folding knives were not made with locks on their blades, and flashlights were just plane - Junk !

I find it amazing, how much the woodsmen of the previous generation, or two, could do with what was available to them. What, & how little they chose to pack aloung on their travles, and how much "closer to the land" than "we" are. I tip my hat to them, and them that came before, and just how safe I felt with them, because they has a plan "2".

Yet, I can't imagine showing my GrandPa my psk,Him, looking at it's contiains, and him asking..What would you want this/that for?.....I can see him asking ..where did you get that?, can you get me a few of these? Boy now there's something, I could use a few of them....And if you knew my GrandPa.......Your-a-gonna nead a new one-a-these, cause I'm-a-takin-it!

We are all bourne to our "time slot", we make our gear selections based on availibity, and we "Get-er-dun" with what we got, we tip our hats to those before us, and we wonder what might be avalible to our kids???

We're a long way from: carry a knife ,a candle stub, and a book of matches in your pocket advice of old,,, but if you think abought it , that's what you really nead........If you keep the matches DRY.........I'ts a 3 + day kit...,...If you don't screw up.

#129366 - 04/05/08 02:14 PM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: DaveT]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That's so cool.

Kinda makes you think what our children or grandchildren will find of us when we're gone.

What little pieces of our emergency preps will turn up over the years and be sources of reassurance (or amusement) to our loved ones.

Reminds them of how much we love them.

(sniffle, I'm going to go hide some duct tape and zip ties in my child's room now).

#129487 - 04/07/08 12:41 PM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: samhain]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Makes me think, when was the last time anyone here saw a carbon steel non-locking folder new for sale? Maybe Case has some. Any ideas?

#129514 - 04/07/08 06:18 PM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: benjammin]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Makes me think, when was the last time anyone here saw a carbon steel non-locking folder new for sale? Maybe Case has some. Any ideas?

Ontario/Queen and Canal Street Cutlery has traditional folders in D2 and Boker has a few in 1095 and other non-stainless steels. All the other major manufacturers seem to use a stainless now. Even Case and Buck knives are all stainless.

It's a shame there are so few companies making traditional style non-stainless folders. I used to love carrying and using them. They were easy to sharpen, held a good edge, and I loved seeing the patina they would get with use. That's why, when I heard Schrade was going under, I bought a bunch of their old folders. I also have my father's Schrade stockman from when he was a kid. That way I have some put away. It's a good thing I did as they're getting tougher and tougher to find in good shape, even in antique stores.

#129529 - 04/07/08 09:10 PM Re: Homebrew survival kit [Re: gunsmith]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: gunsmith
... and we wonder what might be avalible to our kids???...

Uhhh seeing as I am young enough to be many of you ppls kid I would have to say, probably the same exact stuff as you have...lol

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.