Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128782 - 03/30/08 11:58 PM Multi-taskers versus single-taskers?
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
in the thread about walking home, I brought up the argument for carrying single use devices, especially where proprietary batteries are concerned. For things like cellphones, music players and PDAs, you often don't have the option of carrying spare batteries since the batteries are internal and can only be charged, not replaced, or are of a weird and expensive to duplicate type (like cell phone batteries). The pro is that when batteries die on one device like the camera or PDA, you can still use the cellphone or GPS. On the con side, you're carrying multiple devices which means you may leave some behind. What do people think? I'd even extend my argument out to places where traditionally multi-taskers are favored. A real ax (even a smaller one, like a boy's size one) and a smaller hunting knife are better then just carrying a giant chopping knife. At the same time, if you feel the need to leave something behind, you don't have to leave several uses with one device. You can leave the ax, but still have the knife when weight or speed is critical. Or leave the camera, but bring the cellphone. Heavier layers of tools can be stripped off, without eliminating whole categories of tools.

#128783 - 03/31/08 12:05 AM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: AROTC]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
I have to agree with the multiple layers of tools.
My BOB has a fixed blade, multi-tool, folder, Axe and a chopping knife

#128786 - 03/31/08 12:22 AM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: AROTC]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Well as far as batteries go (and if this was mentioned in the Walking Home thread I apologize as I didn't follow that one), I take sort of a hybrid approach to the multi/uni tasker argument.

It's just plain hard these days to find a cell phone, digital camera, etc. that will run off of AA batteries. There are some old standards like GPSs that do but you just can't count on it any more. I tend to buy stuff that can charge off of USB these days as it's sort of the new standard, then suppliment that with some a AA powered usb Charger.

Here's a list of some of the stuff I have in my camping/EDC/hiking/emergency compliment of gear which will charge off of USB or is used in the act of usb charging:

Energizer Duo Charger: http://www.energizer.com/usbcharger/language/english/download.aspx
Engergizer Energi to Go Charger: http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/Pages/ipod-cell-phone-charger.aspx
Ziplinq Power X2 adapter: http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-pwr.html
Freeplay Eyemax radio: http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/eyemax-weatherband
Freeplay Sherpa Led light: http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/sherpaled
Blackberry 8130
12W/12V folding solar panel: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443281867&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672503&bmUID=1206926414030&deptid=1408474396672395&ctgrid=1408474396672406&subctgrid=1408474396672503

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out a way to USB charge my new digital camera yet but my old one is still perfectly serviceable and runs off AAs.

As most of you know I'm very pro-multitask. Try as I might I've never been able to get rid of all the uni-taskers...it's just not always practical or possible...that's where I resort to the above mentioned 'layers' myself (big knife+axe+machete for example). Sometimes it's the act of thinking outside the box which makes something a multitasker, not that items original designed use.

#128790 - 03/31/08 01:33 AM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
EDC must be multi use. BOB and such are specialized as it is assumed that you can handle the extra weight.
I refuse to be the utility belt guy.

#128792 - 03/31/08 01:50 AM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everything in my bob is single task AA powered with a couple sets of low self discharge NiMH, a few spare and a pack of alkaline.
This is all real survival gear, GPS, scanner, radio so I want it more reliable and standardized.

My EDC where size and weight is a concern I have a combined cell phone, music player, camera, etc with its propritary battery. Thats where I make the exception, I can't carry all those all the time and you can't find a cell phone that runs on AA's like you can a gps or digicam.

My bob gear is for more long term, when we have to bug in or out for a longer length of time where the gear may be used more and need a battery re-charge.

The combined gear I edc isn't as critical, if I can't listen to music then no big deal.

#128800 - 03/31/08 03:31 AM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: Eugene]
duckear Offline
Addict

http://www.igo.com/product.asp?sku=3296835

iGo has a AA pack that will recharge phones, smartphone, iPod, cameras, etc with an interchangeable tip.

One AA pack and small tip(s) specific to your device(s)

#128814 - 03/31/08 12:30 PM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: duckear]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think for most folks, edc space is at a premium. I used to be able to pack a shoulder bag with me everywhere that held what I'd consider a massive amount of survival gear for edc. Now I am really compelled to make limited use of pant and shirt pocket space. Bulging pockets, belt packs, and klingons just won't pass muster for me in the office, so in that situation it is imperative that my edc items be as multi tasking as possible, or at least as small as possible if single use. This is not to say I am without a certain level or redundancy, such as two flashlights, two lighters, two knives, but that is mostly the extent of my edc. Specifically, it is what I keep on my person pretty much all the time while I'm awake.

The trade-off, then is to have more items stashed at my various locations, such as my desk or car, that will service my needs further as they come up. This can include more elaborate, bulky and single function type items. Likewise, my BOB is much more robust. Even my computer bag, which follows me everywhere but isn't always right at hand, allows me to pack a whole lot more stuff around than what I can fit in my pockets, thus allowing me to specialize the type of equipment I can stow, including things I don't necessarily use all the time.

So for me, the ideal EDC list will include as many multi tasking items that see frequent use as possible, realizing that this incorporates a certain level of compromise for convenience, but still far better than having to do without a certain function entirely.

As for the putting all my eggs in one basket approach, I suppose there's inherent risk in that, just as there is in not bringing every single use items I can because of space limititations would be. Since I cannot bring a list of devices that each have a discrete function that satisfies my needs for edc, especially from an electronics perspective, I am going to make do with and accept the limitations of having one or a couple of multi taskers that will get the jobs done that I need done, and when the opportunity for gearing up further presents itself, I will capitalize on it as is warranted. In a SHTF mode, I am going to always wish I had more stuff, but inevitably make do with whatever I have, and if it breaks or runs out of power, it is little more than a factor to recognize and account for in the plan.

Otherwise, I am going to end up with a lawn cart full of stuff for edc. Here's another twist of logic, the more stuff you have with you, the more likely it is some of it will fail, break, get lost, or run out of juice. To me it seems to be a trade off on the odds; on the one hand, if you edc a multi tasker and it fails catastropically, then you lose all function, but if you edc discrete items, then the chance that one will fail goes up. Most likely the odds still favor single task items, but then you factor in convenience and it seems to be a wash.

#128815 - 03/31/08 12:35 PM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Here's another wrinkle, what about carrying redundant multi-taskers? If I had two Blackberry Pearls, I would have doubled my entire edc electronics functionality. What are the odds both would fail entirely? How about two Leatherman Wave multi-tools? Or two of those hand cranked LED flashlight/radio/siren/batt chargers?

Things that make you go "Hmmmm...".

#128821 - 03/31/08 01:33 PM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: benjammin]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

EDC is one of those things that we continually ponder...especially here!

Last night I decided it was time to semi-retire my Columbia shell jacket for the winter (figures that it froze last night) and switch off to my Scott e-Vest...an article of clothing that I have a true love/hate relationship with. It's very well designed, well put together and has over 3 dozen pockets...but it's like putting a fat kit in a candy store and I always end up with a rediculously bulging, overweight vest.

Last night I tried to transfer my EDC stuff to the vest. Like benjammin I can't walk around work with my SAK and E+Lite on my belt and knives hanging off every pocket...the vest is a good compromise because it's suble enough to carry around if I need to...or even wear indoors, without getting too many funny looks.

Even multi-taskers can be a mixed blessing. I love to carry my Gerber Diesel multi-pliers but they're HEAVY! Sometimes too heavy and I go for just a pocket knife instead or a small SAK. My Victorinox Cybertool is one of my favorites but it's BULKY (by pocket knife standards)...it's all about compromise...usually.

Even today I thought I was at the very limits of maximum weight (to still be comfortable and not have my clothing hang around my shoulders like dead weight) even though most of my vests many pockets were empty. I think I'm only using 5 or 6 in fact. But it allowed me to take my E+Lite, an extra (good) folding knife and my ERT-1 Tool and have easy access to it all without looking tacticool or like I'm shoplifting the kitchen sink or like a clock tower nut case at work.

#128843 - 03/31/08 05:17 PM Re: Multi-taskers versus single-taskers? [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
You guys are killing me!! cry Just when I am heading down the road towards making up my EDC using a generic multimedia player belt pouch you start this.

Hacksaw, the vest is not an option for me because I overheat so darned easy. I'd be a big ol' nasty, sweaty hog by the time I had the silly thing on for an hour. That leaves me the belt pack.

The belt pack, unfortunately, has already taken on a life of its own. I still don't have everything I want in it. I am probably looking to have to much stuff with me. What an adventure.

Now, on to the subject matter: Multitaskers do show up, as stated, by design and necessity. I believe as we gain experience the designed multitaskers will drift into the background with a few exceptions; Gerbers, SAKs, duct tape, and the like.

Right now I am looking at "tubifying" a PSK/EDC. I have a Nite-Ize Mini POCK-ITS(tm). I will carry the multitasker (Crunch) in there. Then in place of the flashlight (my Inova X5) I may try to use to nickel or quarter collector tubes for the EDC/PSK in the flashlight portion. Since I am partial to the Inova keyring flashlights (cost) I should be OK.

The fun of experimentation. crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.