Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#128881 - 03/31/08 09:08 PM Compression-only CPR is official
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
It's sooner than I expected, but compression-only (or what AHA calls "hands-only") CPR is officially recommended by the American Heart Association. Not in every single instance, but it's the standard recommendation for cases where an adult suddenly collapses. Anyway, more info can be found here.

The more medically-inclined can read the journal article in Circulation announcing the change here .

Now we just need cell phone-sized AED's. Or even better, a cell phone that can double as an AED.

Edit: By the way, this is an old thread about the last time the CPR guidelines were changed significantly. Just reading it over again, it was an interesting thread. Anyway, the last change was at the end of 2005, so changing them again so soon means they thought the results of recent research shows that the benefits of compression-only CPR for lay people is signficant enough change to implement it sooner rather than later.

Edited by Arney (03/31/08 11:42 PM)

#128883 - 03/31/08 10:21 PM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: Arney]
Huck Offline
Stranger

Arnie,
In December 07 I got recertified in cpr. Red Cross is still teaching compressions and breaths. I was told they will not change for at least a year yet. So yes it has changed, but it depends on the person certified, if that makes sense.

Huck

#128884 - 03/31/08 10:29 PM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: Arney]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Arney

...a cell phone that can double as an AED.

Can you imagine someone using their phone and suddenly get a shock from H-E-double hockey sticks!!!!

(btw: I'm familiar with AED's...)

#128885 - 03/31/08 10:33 PM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: Huck]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Huck
Red Cross is still teaching compressions and breaths. I was told they will not change for at least a year yet.

That's understandable. Even the AHA-affiliated courses may take quite a while to change just to use up their supply of "old" materials, create new ones, re-train all the instructors, etc. I mean, the next formal review to the CPR guidelines wasn't scheduled for another few years, I believe, so this change in practice is an "off-cycle" event.

#128899 - 04/01/08 01:07 AM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: Arney]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I am a ARC Health and Safety Instructor, I'll post something when the standard changes, which I would expect would be at least a year. The curriculum will need to be changed and approved, books ordered, instructor's updated, etc.

Edited by ki4buc (04/01/08 11:00 AM)

#128920 - 04/01/08 02:59 AM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: ki4buc]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
not an expert, I'm only asking ... but does this assume that 9-1-1/paramedics are enroute, within x minutes, within an urban area?

#128958 - 04/01/08 03:26 PM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: dougwalkabout]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
not an expert, I'm only asking ... but does this assume that 9-1-1/paramedics are enroute, within x minutes, within an urban area?

Well, not necessarily just "urban" but yes. Going to the other extreme, I've never taken a wilderness medicine course, but I don't believe you are taught to start CPR if you know help is a long, long time away. (This last statement is an important point to get right so someone please correct/clarify if I'm wrong).

I can't find it, but the first news story I read about the change in protocol mentioned a chiropractor in Temecula, California who had already read about compression-only CPR and used it on a guy who collapsed at his gym a couple months ago. He did compression-only CPR for over 12 minutes before help arrived and the guy who collapsed was fine the next day. Impressive--both the result and the effort. (There's no mention of an AED in the article, though, which I assume that the gym would have.)

The important thing is to start early and to keep up those fast, hard compressions to keep the blood circulation going and oxygenating vital organs like the brain and heart. Physiologically, rescue breaths typically take too long to perform and it stops that flow of blood. After giving a couple breaths and going back to compressions, it takes some time for the blood to start flowing again, and every second counts. Psychologically, there's that delay or reluctance that people have about giving mouth-to-mouth, so either CPR is started late or people just don't want to do CPR at all.

#128965 - 04/01/08 04:14 PM Re: Compression-only CPR is official [Re: Arney]
plsander Offline

Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Well, not necessarily just "urban" but yes. Going to the other extreme, I've never taken a wilderness medicine course, but I don't believe you are taught to start CPR if you know help is a long, long time away. (This last statement is an important point to get right so someone please correct/clarify if I'm wrong).

I took the Red Cross Wilderness First Aid course last year -- The Boy Scouts are requiring that at least one member of a trek crew must have a current certification in Wilderness FA to go to Philmont or Northern Tier.

Wilderness First Aid does not include CPR - that is a separate course and certification.

There was no blanket statement of 'yes' or 'no' to starting CPR. We did cover when to stop CPR -- when you are too exhausted to continue (as first aiders we are not qualified or trained to pronounce death...)

I found that the majority of the 'Wilderness' part of the course was setting expectations of what sort of expert care you can expect in the 'Wilderness.' Where 'Wilderness' is defined as EMS is more that about an hour away.

We did a lot of scenario work - both play-act and thought experiment - and a number of people in the course had great difficulty with the fact that there are situations where you can't even try to save everyone who is injured.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.