The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128593 - 03/28/08 05:49 AM Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I am getting ready to go to Oklahoma D-Day paintball event (Go Allies!). I was reading on their site that they have a lot of ticks in the area.

My question is: what is the best way of preventing tick bites (chemically or otherwise) and also of preventing the little critters from getting into your tent?

If this was already discussed, please point me to the right thread, I couldn't really find it.

#128595 - 03/28/08 10:41 AM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: redflare]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: redflare
My question is: what is the best way of preventing tick bites (chemically or otherwise)

I have had very good experience by spraying my clothing with Permanone by Repel. It's for clothing use (not skin). Spray it on your clothing, hats, socks, gear, boots, etc. a day before you pack up so it dries well. No smell, no, stain, and the ticks will just about jump off of you. I live in Southeast Virginia which is thick with ticks and chiggers and this stuff is great.

You might be able to spray it on the tent floor if it's that poly type stuff, but not on the tent fabric because it might make it leak.

Regards,

Tom A.

#128596 - 03/28/08 10:45 AM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: TomApple]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Good ole tight cuffs is also a good way to help defeat them.

#128597 - 03/28/08 10:52 AM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: redflare]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Any kind of clothing spray containing permethrin is effective. I've spent many a day in east OK that way; my parents live near there and it's our favorite camping area.

#128603 - 03/28/08 02:17 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: NeighborBill]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've always just sprayed pants & cuffs with DEET - unless wearing synthetics - for that I've been using Cutter Advanced lately. Then do a REAL GOOD post-activity body scan as soon as possible.

#128605 - 03/28/08 02:38 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: KenK]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: KenK
Then do a REAL GOOD post-activity body scan as soon as possible.

Wearing light colored socks and pants will help you spot them -- they are just about impossible to find on dark colored clothes.

While it will make you look like a dork, you can tuck your pant legs into your socks if you need to walk through an area of tall grass. Also keep in mind deer tics and Western black-legged tics (the ones known to carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) are much smaller than traditional ticks. The nymphs are only about the size of the head of a pin.

There is a bunch of information availble online, so read up on things. The Western black-legged tick is the one that you need to watch out for in Oklahoma.

Jim

#128608 - 03/28/08 03:02 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: Paragon]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Permethrin for your clothes & deet for you. That combo has always served me well.

#128609 - 03/28/08 03:22 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: redflare]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts

I've heard that eating a lot of garlic will help keep mosquitos and ticks off of you .

#128619 - 03/28/08 04:25 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I think Garlic failed one of the tests for mosquitoes, but don't know about ticks.

BTW, it takes several hours, after biting, to infect you. So, check after you're done and you should still be OK.

#128622 - 03/28/08 05:15 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: MDinana]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I wouldn't tuck my pants into my socks because it leaves the top of your boots exposed. Those little critters can squeeze in through the top of your boot.

What I would do is get lightweight, light-colored fishing pants that don't have zip-off legs with an extra-long inseam. After you put your pants and boots on, drop your drawers and tightly blouse your pants to the outside of your boots. Use really good blousing straps, large ranger bands, or duct tape. That is what I do and it works very well for me, YMMV. I then do a full body check when the day is over. Those little critters will get into the craziest places.

The whole trick is light-colored clothing with long sleeves and gap/opening control.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.