The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124086 - 02/17/08 03:05 AM Buck X-Tract LED
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
My regular EDC probably falls into the "Light Urban" category, and as far as my purse and pockets are concerned I'm still trying to shrink everything down.

I've been looking at the Buck Extract LED after reading a bit about the previous model from the Shot Show 2007 Report. Mostly I'm attracted to the fact that it is a knife first and foremost, but it also has many of the tools I find myself using most often. With everything in one package I don't have to worry about lots of things rattling on a keyfob or rolling around in my bag. I also don't think the price is that bad, and the one-handed operation is nice. I've read some other reviews and mostly it is positive.

Does anyone have experience with this knife, or can offer any better recommendations for my needs? I don't exactly have the budget for a Leatherman Wave or Charge.

#124092 - 02/17/08 04:14 AM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: ]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
So what is the preferred multi-tool for everyday/carry around use?

Most of the garden variety multi-tool/pocketknives that I have come across never hold up very well. Most often the screwdriver/phillips features can't handle the slightest torque. One had a useless pair of sissors, another a cork screw that I've never used.

I'm looking for quality over quantity of 'extras' The Buck Extract line looks like a better quality (with or without the LED).

If you could have one multi-tool in your pocket,which would it be?

Thanks in advance for your input.

#124102 - 02/17/08 08:11 AM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: ]
Giant1 Offline
Stranger

Leatherman is the way to go in multi tool.

#124104 - 02/17/08 10:08 AM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
It's fine for light urban use. Best prices seem to be on e-bay.

#124122 - 02/17/08 03:13 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

After nearly a decade I still can't pick a favorite between my Gerber multipliers and my Victorinox Cybertool. I'll even carry both sometimes since each is uniquely usefull.

When I'm 'urban' I like the SAK because it has things like a bottle opener, ball point pen, scissors, multibit screw driver, etc. In the bush I prefer the pliers because the pliers are beefier, the scissors are beefier, and it has a saw. Aside from the redundant bits like the can opener and the blades, the two compliment each other pretty nicely.

#124126 - 02/17/08 05:39 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Considering the two features you mention specifically — respectable knife blade and one-hand operation — don't believe you're going to find a similar multi-tool from another maker.

In case you missed these in your research, here's some informative reviews and user comments: multitool.org , ToolMonger Blog, EDC Forums, Blade Forums, and Amazon.com. Like you say, they are positive for the most part.

I notice a couple of recurring comments: ergonomics not entirely suitable for left-handed folks; as you say, decent blade size/design; one-handed operation seems to work OK; pliers are light- to medium-duty. Some folks commented on the grip being awkward when using tools.

Would suggest actually handling one if you haven't yet. And as for the blade — will it pose any problems with state or local laws governing knife carry?

I see both versions offered on-line ... the original 730 without light, and the 731 with the flashlight. Make sure you get the one you intended.

#124129 - 02/17/08 06:55 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: xbanker]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Christina, sorry haven't handled one although for a "good" sized folder/knike combo it does seem to be the ticket as most other multi-tools are akin to the pen knife sized blades found in SAK's..... It seems to be a build on a modified buck cross lock. As in the one handed knife portion, mated with a pliers instead of another knife, saw or gut hook on the flip side. I used to have one, blade/gut hook option that I used to use when I was bouncing. The gut hook was very handy cutting off the wrist bands of patrons from other bars or when being thrown out of ours. It was solid and a good design but I also echo the advice to see if you could handle one first as it might be a little unweildy, especially if you're a girl of slight build.
NorCalDennis, I live in Tampa, FLA and although it's definately urban, I can hit pockets of woods/swamp easily within 15-20 mins tops. What I EDC is a Victorinox swisstool (true needlenose not being a high priority) that gets extensive use/abuse in the warehouse I work along with a swisschamp for general use amonst urbanites who might panic at the sight of a full size folder. My full size folder of current choice is a buck/strider 880 spearpoint plain edge. Its built like a tank and nigh bulletproof IMHO.

#124134 - 02/17/08 07:25 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: BillLiptak]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I carry both the Leatherman Wave (original) and the Swiss Champ. One was a gift and the other I bought. Each has strengths and weaknesses but together compliment each other very nicely.

#124149 - 02/17/08 08:21 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: stevenpd]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I just looked on the Victorinox site and they now make the Cybertool Lite with an LED light built in...if that's a feature you were specifically looking for in a do-all pocket tool.

#124276 - 02/18/08 09:15 PM Re: Buck X-Tract LED [Re: stevenpd]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I own the buck x tract without the LED. I love buck knives, but the x tract is disappointing for several reasons. The knife is excellent, but I find the pliers a little awkward. And the philips head and regular screwdriver are too short - they don't extend out far enough from the body of the knife. Big shortcoming.

If you really want a knife with an LED, have a look at another buck knife, the buck whittaker lumina. Just a knife with a light, and some good reviews on amazon.

And if you want a low cost multi-tool with everything the x tract has(but no light), look at the leatherman fuse. The knife is not as good but it's adequate. The tools come out easily, they lock and the fuse has a scissor. you can get one for under $25 on ebay, including shipping. It's about half the price of the wave, with 80% of the functionality (who needs aone hand opening 3 inch saw, anyway?).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 495 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.