Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122029 - 01/30/08 07:54 PM Campfire Salt Water Distiller
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I saw a book written by a guy who walked the entire coast of Baja, both sides. He had a tea kettle rig that enabled him to distill fresh water from sea water over his campfire. Looks kinda like this. Does anyone know of a rig that doesn't look so heavy? How about a home-made version for backpacking the coasts?
I either want to buy one or make one, but it has to be as light and less bulky as possible. It seems pretty easy; just a tea kettle and a length of stainless tubing; the only difficulty I can see is a smart connection between the two, or a way to store the tubing inside the kettle when not in use. ??? I am somewhat of a perfectionist, so of course I need some more ideas.

#122030 - 01/30/08 08:04 PM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: TQS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've heard of these things described but I've never seen an actual one.

The ones I've heard of use a kettle with tubing attached to the spout, then coiled through cold water (a stream or another pot) and into a 3rd to collect the distilled water. The lid needs to seal really well and I imagine the elevation of each vessel could be critical.

#122035 - 01/30/08 08:31 PM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: TQS]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
It would seem to me that if you took the Kellty Kettle or the Thermette and fabricated an adaptor w/ a metal coil to fit the pouring spout you could jury-rig an efficient distiller. The companies might even be willing to develop a proto-type for you to field trial as a potential accessory.

Pete

#122043 - 01/30/08 09:54 PM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: TQS]
LED Offline
Veteran

Does the tea kettle need to be stainless too?

#122044 - 01/30/08 09:56 PM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: LED]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Anything that you can boil water in is fine as long as it's sealed enough to get the steam out the tubing/pipe. Stainless might be a good idea though (or titanium). If you ran out of water and weren't paying attention, aluminum or some other choices would succumb to the heat fast.

#122048 - 01/30/08 10:31 PM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
You might be able to find a coil through a homebrew supplier. Someone who homebrews might have use for a "wort chiller," although I have never needed one. For an example, see: http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/5006. Your tubing to the chiller would need to be sufficient to withstand the heat, but the chiller should work well.

If you want something that is portable to use a still, why not a solar still like: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss.html.

#122072 - 01/31/08 12:54 AM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: Dan_McI]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Dan Mcl,
As far as cooling your wort. Get a wort chiller. The faster you cool and pitch your yeast the more stable you final product will be. Slow cooling increases the chance of "hot side aeration" which causes beer to oxidize. Wort chillers are easy to make.
Sorry for the hijack.

For copper tubing go to Home Depot and get it in the A/C section.
If you make a basic still you can distill the water out of many liquids including sea water.
Bill

#122084 - 01/31/08 02:04 AM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: billym]
sotto Offline
Addict

I read this book too. There's in interesting shot in there of him standing on a rattlesnake while he cuts off the head. He was always getting stranded by the tide off rocky headlands. It's a very interesting story and a good read. Somewhere I still have the book but can't remember the title. His still seemed to work quite well and, at the time, I was quite interested in it since I live near the ocean.

#122088 - 01/31/08 03:26 AM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: paramedicpete]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
The only problem with using a Kelly Kettle or Thermette is that you must take care to not build up pressure, especially with the Kelly Kettle since the bottom seam is not sealed that tightly.

Also, neither the Kelly Kettle or Thermette can be scrubed out. Salt will build up inside and make them unsuitable for potable water boiling.

#122094 - 01/31/08 03:57 AM Re: Campfire Salt Water Distiller [Re: TQS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

anyone who has use a small distiller like that--think--
high school chem class--will tell you that it takes
forever to get anything worth drinking out of it..drip-drip
drip-drip---find fuel..keep the fire going--drip-drip..
i would need to see some numbers on this--quarts per hour..
pints per hour???---

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.