Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#109289 - 10/20/07 01:01 PM Need help with Ohio matches
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I tried the search. No luck. ???

I have two kinds of strike-anywhere kitchen matches: Ohio Blue tip and Diamond.

The Ohio's are not acting strike-anywhere. They will not light when I strike them on our concrete sidewalk. I used them on different coarseness of surfaces. But, they will light when I strike them against the box.

The Diamonds, on the other hand, will light when struck against the sidewalk and, of course, against it's own box.

Is there something wrong with my Ohio's? I don't know how old they are. Do they have a shelf life? The box reads damp proof and they have never been wet.

I am also extremely disappointed that both matches will not light against either side of an emory (spelling?) board. The emory board simply sands the top of the match away, without lighting it. Are there different coarseness of emory board? I'll be in the White Mts of Arizona in two weeks and it is disturbing that I might have been in a situation to rely on my Ohio's and emory board.

How am I supposed to light these matches when everything is wet?

Thank you very much.

#109291 - 10/20/07 01:30 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: xavier01]
sotto Offline
Addict

I've found that generally the quality of strike anywhere matches has deteriorated substantially over the years. There seems to be less striking material, and the matches themselves do seem much more sensitive to the type of material that are struck against--as you say, some materials simply sand off the striker.

Also, I've noted that the matches simply deteriorate over time, becoming useless.

Get a Cricket piezo butane lighter or similar and never look back. I've carried the same little one in my gritty pocket for years, held it under water for 30 seconds, blown the water out, and the thing still lights reliably.

#109294 - 10/20/07 01:40 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: xavier01]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Buy a mini-BIC and use it to light your matches grin grin

(sorry ... could not resist ...)

#109301 - 10/20/07 03:04 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: sotto]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: sotto
I've found that generally the quality of strike anywhere matches has deteriorated substantially over the years. There seems to be less striking material, and the matches themselves do seem much more sensitive to the type of material that are struck against--as you say, some materials simply sand off the striker.

I have noticed this too. Right now I have some Diamond Strike Anywhere in the large box and they seem OK. But I have been very disappointed with the smaller matches in the small box. At least half were duds.
Maybe matches are a bit obsolete. If you have a Bic or two, a firesteel, sparklite and tinder maybe you don't need matches?
Bill

#109303 - 10/20/07 03:13 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: billym]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: billym
Originally Posted By: sotto

I have noticed this too. Right now I have some Diamond Strike Anywhere in the large box and they seem OK. But I have been very disappointed with the smaller matches in the small box. At least half were duds.
Maybe matches are a bit obsolete. If you have a Bic or two, a firesteel, sparklite and tinder maybe you don't need matches?
Bill

There's a reason for this. My dad told me a story once that, to me at least, explains this perfectly.

When he was young he smoked...most people did back then. Living on a farm there were no lighters and he carried light anywhere matches. They were common and easy to get back then. One day he was out in the field and the tractor broke down. He had to walk back to the farm house. About half way the matches in his pocket all lit from the friction of rubbing against each other in his pocket. Fortunately denim doesn't burn THAT easily and he was able to beat the fire out before he was too badly burned.

If I were a match making company, this would be a huge liability and I'd make the matches harder to light to prevent accidents.

#109306 - 10/20/07 03:27 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: xavier01]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

the quality has gone down over the years and the white
striking "stuff" has been reduced in size..i have new matches
that are only a few years old that turn to butter when you try
and light them but some i found in my old scout match safe--
1960's would still light on a match box striker but not a
rock...i pick out ones with the best looking heads and put
them in a WP pill bottle along with a strip of striker from
the box..i prefer a long wood match for lighting camp stoves
so i can keep away from the burst of flame when the stove
lights..

#109311 - 10/20/07 05:57 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: xavier01]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Check the matches to see if they really are 'strike-anywhere'. I once got a box of Diamond strike-anywheres without the phosphorus tip. They had been mispackaged and were really the strike-in-box kind.

But matche quality really has deteriorated.

If you're just taking a few with you, make sure they have the largest glob of white on the tips.

I usually keep an empty box of strike-anywheres, and if I need a striker to put into a container, I cut one end of the striker strip off (the ends usually have the least wear) and cut it to fit the shape of the end of the container (press it in with the striker against the lid, to prevent accidents).

I was looking for the Ohio Blue Tip home, and found this from a Yahoo discussion board:
"As for the Ohio Blue Tip Matches , I believe that particular company has went out of business. Diamond Brands Inc. is the mother company of our beloved "Ohio Blue Tips". The company has moved out of OH and is now located in LA, they just dropped the Ohio Blue tips name, although the quality seems to have slipped as well."

Sue

#109316 - 10/20/07 07:14 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

A little clear nail polish might help. After waterproofing them I can light my Diamonds on one strike every time and have never sanded one down (like the unvarnished ones) trying to light it. Haven't done a controlled study but it seems to work.

#109330 - 10/20/07 10:45 PM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: xavier01]
widget Offline
Addict

Ohio Blue Tips have not been made for quite a few years now. As others have said, the Diamonds have deteriotated in quality. The heads are smaller, the matchstick itself is thinner and shorter too.
Find some Penley brand strike anywhere matches, much better than the Diamond brand and they have a stronger matchstick too.

#109343 - 10/21/07 02:21 AM Re: Need help with Ohio matches [Re: widget]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I'm with LED. I've waterproofed the Diamonds with clear nail polish and I've never really had a problem. I thought quality would be a problem since they were three boxes for a dollar but that didn't prove to be the case for me. Once in a blue moon I get a match with little white phosphorous on the tip which makes striking difficult, and very rarely do I get one that just "pops".

My best advice though would be to supplement your fire-starting capabilities; take along several methods. Take along a lighter, a flint/magnesium striker, and maybe even a small magnifying glass and you should be fine. Practice, practice, practice with the last two techniques though. It's better to learn in the backyard now than if you have to do it if something goes wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.