Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119392 - 01/08/08 07:50 PM Who the hell is Robert Redford...
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Of course I know who Robert Redford is. He's a movie star.

I was digging through one of those bargain book bins and came across a paperback from 1973 called "Outdoor Survival Skills" by Larry Dean Olsen. Right under the title was an endorsement from Robert Redford saying this book is "The finest of its kind."

This amused me, because what qualifies Robert Redford to know anything about outdoor survival? Because he played the Sundance Kid in a movie?

#119398 - 01/08/08 08:09 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Probably trying to profit on his role as mountain man Jeremiah Johnson.

#119401 - 01/08/08 08:30 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: LumpyJaw]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
Yes.....Jeremiah Johnson! The ultimate survival movie. Don't you remember he killed every indian across the west! Ate bugs!

LOL

#119405 - 01/08/08 08:43 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: MrDrysdale]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
IIRC, Redford was one of the original spokesmen for the conservationist movement dating back to the early 70's.

At least the man puts his money where his mouth is.

#119409 - 01/08/08 09:00 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: Misanthrope]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Larry D. Olsen is a well known "survialist" in the 1960's and even the early 1970's as no doubt the original Cody Lundin. Larry's training came as he experienced survival at its most primitive level. He emulated the Anasazi or "Ancient Ones" and carefully replicated the lifestyle of the Primitive Paiutes of the Great Basin Plateau areas of the western United States. Using tools and weapons of stone and bone, digging roots and trapping game, suffering cold nights without bedding, and hot days without water or even shoes, Larry gained a unique understanding of man in harmony with nature.

Larry then went on to teach Outdoor Survival Skills at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. One such student was Robert Redford, yes the actor, who upon completing the course and reading the book invited Larry Dean Olsen to serve as technical director for the movie Jeremiah Johnson. Subsequently, Robert Redford wrote a forward for the book, which is still in print, for Mr. Olsen. This book was once required reading in a Mountain Man class offered in the early 1980's from both Boise State University and Idaho State University.

Larry then developed a primitive living course for adjudicated youth from the courts in Utah County. In 1969, he and his staff won a national award for "Youth Rehabilitation Though Outdoor Survival." This course is still around today in both Arizona and Idaho. It is known in Idaho as the “Magic Hot Springs youth camp.” They have closed their main facility south of Twin Falls, but maintain a satellite office in Gooding, Idaho through the main office in Arizona. I believe some people call these “boot camps.”

Larry's experience grew from the area around the Magic Valley and the canyonlands of Southern Idaho.

#119411 - 01/08/08 09:15 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: stargazer]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

That's a lot of stuff I did not know.

Originally Posted By: stargazer
Larry then went on to teach Outdoor Survival Skills at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. One such student was Robert Redford, yes the actor, who upon completing the course and reading the book invited Larry Dean Olsen to serve as technical director for the movie Jeremiah Johnson. Subsequently, Robert Redford wrote a forward for the book, which is still in print, for Mr. Olsen. This book was once required reading in a Mountain Man class offered in the early 1980's from both Boise State University and Idaho State University.

Don't get me wrong. It very well may be a good book (especially when compared to the other stuff in a bargain bin). Larry Olsen probably knows his stuff.

Tom Hanks went to bootcamp for Saving Private Ryan, but he's still not a soldier. Robert Redford went to survival school, but he's still not a woodsman.

I'm not a woodsman either, and I live out here. whistle

#119428 - 01/08/08 11:18 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I was given that book as a gift...it's not too bad.

#119430 - 01/08/08 11:28 PM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Tom Hanks went to bootcamp for Saving Private Ryan, but he's still not a soldier. Robert Redford went to survival school, but he's still not a woodsman.

To write a foreward for a book does not always imply that you need to be an expert on the book subject. Many authors seek out celebrities, business people etc to add weight in a form of an endorsement which hopefully leads to higher book sales.

#119433 - 01/09/08 12:25 AM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: Themalemutekid]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
The Owner of Sundance ski resort besides every thing else.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#119435 - 01/09/08 01:53 AM Re: Who the hell is Robert Redford... [Re: MrDrysdale]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Ate bugs..."

And livers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.