Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113591 - 11/26/07 01:29 AM Fenix over Gerber lights?
Grant Offline
Stranger

I am expecting a trip to Kenya that may involve some time in the bush. If I go I will be spending some time in tent camps and want to pack a small flashlight that I can carry around in my pocket. I already have a keychain Photon light, but I want something a bit bigger and brighter. One friend recommended the Gerber CMG Infinity, but another said to go with the Fenix L1D CE. Anyone have any experience with these lights? Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

#113593 - 11/26/07 01:35 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: Grant]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The Infinity Ultra is my EDC light and I think it's outstanding. Weather resistant, tough, and it runs on an easy to replace AA battery. It's also very bright for a single LED with no lens. I use it daily and it never lets me down.

The Fenix looks nice and has more features...looks more expensive and has moving parts to break when you least expect them to. It also appears to be larger than the Gerber.

If you're looking for a pocket size alternative to a photon check out the Petzl e+Lite. It's my other EDC light. It's cheap, bright, works as a headlight or a clip light. It has several 'modes' like the Fenix (including a red LED). It's even water resistant to 1 Meter.

#113595 - 11/26/07 01:36 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: Grant]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I have a Fenix P2D (uses 1 CR-123 battery), Gerber Tempo, Mini-Mag, Surefire, and some off-brand stuff. Never tried the CMG though.

It depends what you want to do with it. The Fenix is great, good battery life, has variable light levels. The Gerber uses 1 AAA, and it's about the same output as the lowest level the Fenix has (about 5-10 Lumens). The Fenix is as bright as the Surefire (with the capability to go higher), and a bit smaller. I haven't tried to break either, so I can't tell you which is tougher, though the Fenix doesn't seem to be cheap. But, I like that you can get a red filter for the Surefires, which I've done. On the flip side, the battery life on the Fenix is MUCH better than the surefire. I guess a Mag would be a good general light, as I've used one for years while in scouts. I also have a Rock Ridge (I think) light from Target - $30, about as bright as a Surefire, a little smaller, not adjustable output. If I had to do it again, I'd just stick with that and not get a Surefire, simply due to cost.

When my gf was in Africa, she said they never needed lights, as the stars or moon was always bright enough (no light pollution). Personally, I love the Fenix. I suggest that whatever you do, get something that runs on the common batteries. AA was fairly easy to get even in her village.

#113597 - 11/26/07 02:06 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: Grant]
HerbG Offline

Another alternative is the Jetbeam CL-E V. 2. It used one AA battery, has three levels of brightness, strobe, and SOS. I have two of the CL-E's and they are very high quality and quite a bargain at about $32 from: http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

#113618 - 11/26/07 04:13 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: HerbG]
Rotncore Offline

Loc: Canada
I have both the Gerber IU and several Fenix products. As stated by others, it depends on what you want it to do. The Gerber will be tougher, and can be easily clipped to a ball cap to double as a headlamp, but isn't as bright, but will go for 35-40 hours. If you want something more powerful, you may want to go with the Fenix L1D CE. The Fenix P1D CE is the 1 CR123 light, not the P2D CE as stated above. The P1D CE is my EDC light, as it is tiny, the twist mechanism is reliable, and it's bright.

AA's should be far easier to find locally, so if you are there for a long time, that should be your choice. If I were going and had one choice, it'd be a headlamp, hands free is a huge benefit. If limited to those 2 options, Gerber. If you want a do it all light and money isn't an issue, look at a Novatac.

#113629 - 11/26/07 09:13 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: Grant]
LED Offline
Veteran

If you can afford it I'd say get both. The Infinity is great for general illumination and runs forever. The Fenix throws well and is bright enough to light up distant targets. (and on the low setting it can also run forever) They compliment eachother very well.

#113635 - 11/26/07 01:12 PM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: LED]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree. Personally I'd get the Gerber Ultra Infinity (CMG sold to Gerber) and I'd get the Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80. The L2T only has two modes, 15 lumens and 140 lumens, but it uses the Rebel LED, I like mine. If you like lots of modes, go with the Fenix L2D RB80 or the Fenix L2D CE. Both the L2T and L2D Fenix lights are 2xAA lights, keep it in your vest. Keep the 1xAA Gerber in your pocket. The Gerber has a good flood like beam for close work, the Fenix lights will reach further. Edit: Just did an informal side-by-side comparison and found the Gerber Ultra Infinity and L2T V2.0 had virtually the same beam shape, that is a hotspot in the middle surrounded by a large spill area, the L2T was brighter, but it has two new batteries and the Gerber battery needs to be changed (later, it's fine for my needs).

Based on that experiment and the multiple output modes of the Fenix L1D CE, the 1xAA Fenix is a better light if you only buy one. . . although at less than half the price of the Fenix lights, the Gerber is a great value. I'll stay with my original thought, buy the 1xAA Gerber and a 2xAA Fenix (your choice of the three link'd).

Just an observation, but did you notice that the L1D lights Turbo mode only goes to 90 Lumens while the L2D lights go to 140? Looks to me like there's a limit on how much power the light can pull from a single AA battery; the L2D and L2T lights can pull more juice. Considering they're only $1 more, the L2D/T lights seem to be a better value than their L1D/T counterparts. $.02

Note: I have the Gerber Ultra Infinity as a mobile night light at home, a Fenix L2D CE is in my walking kit and a Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 is in my flight jacket. I also have a small 1xAAA Peak Matterhorn in my pocket. For your trip stay with AA batteries. Buy a supply of NiMH rechargeables and a small solar battery charger.

Edited by RAS (11/26/07 03:29 PM)

#113705 - 11/26/07 10:51 PM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: Grant]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Another option is the Zebralight H50. Lots of carry options and the cleanest flood beam I've seen in an LED or incandescent flashlight. Great light for close up work.

#113708 - 11/26/07 11:44 PM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
L1D CE
3.8" long
.85" diameter

IIRC its a little bit thinner and about an inch longer than the original Infinity from CMG. I never got one of the Gerber models because it looked like they took a Very Good design & complicated it.

#113714 - 11/27/07 12:25 AM Re: Fenix over Gerber lights? [Re: MDinana]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
can get a red filter for the Surefires

They've come out with filters & light wand attachments recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.