Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112878 - 11/19/07 01:04 AM Vehicle defenses
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

I recently watched a report on CNN or a simular outlet, about how Kidnappers attack, stop, and kidnap people out of moving cars.
It was a real eye opener.
In some ways, it reminded me of those old MAD MAX films.

The people in training, would swarm upto a target vehicle on motorcycles with two riders per cycle. The passenger rider, carries an automatic rifle, and points it at the cars driver, and passengers. If they do not stop, they shoot out a couple of tires, or fire at the engine compartment. The car stops. The rifle carrying riders dismount as soon as the car is disabled.
There are at least four cycles in the inital attack.
As the terrorists are starting to pull people out of the car, a secondary vehicle roars up. It is a small pickup truck with men in the box pointing a heavy machine gun at the car.
Then a van type vehicle enters the scene, and the aforementioned armed cyclists, push their victims into the van. The van speeds off, the cyclists depart along with the small truck. It all happens in a matter of less than two minutes.
They usually will kill every one but the intended victim of the kidnapping.

It is a quick, unforgiving, deadly, precision take down.
It is for a lack of better discription, a pack of preditory
animals making a kill...

Here in America this situation could very easily be pulled off.

Quite frankly, I do not know how you'd out manueuver a group of
attacking malcontents bent on robbing you, or kidnapping you.

Four automatic rifles aimed at you from all sides in pretty intimidating. Blown out tires, or a shot up engine is going to stop you whether you want to stop or not. A pick up truck pulling up,and aiming a big ass machine gun at you as well is going to force most to comply.

Thus, the whole senario got me to thinking. How would you stop a group of bad boys from running you down, and disabling your vehicle,and then robbing you of everything you have? ( i.e. Mad Max tactics )

Even if you had others in your vehicle shooting at them as you fled, the likely hood that you'll have a high speed crash, or get killed by their gun fire is high. Short of having an armored car/truck, I think the winning bet is going to be on the marauding hordes.

I think, that once out on the roads, it will not be easy going. I think we have to seriously think about the idea that we may have to contend with highway ambushes/ robbery in some fashion. I think secondary roads might be just as dangerous as the main highways too. Bad men in big heavy trucks, with powerful V8 engines ,armed with big guns will stop any SUV/car without a problem. Count on it!

Even the nations Police forces have perfected the high speed bump and push action, to knock a car off the road using just a police cruiser. They even knock trucks and vans off the road..

How do you defend yourself on the road in your vehicle?

This problem deserves some real attention...

The terrorists training in Pakistan have brought this to our attention folks...

This is why our officals travel in heavily armed convoys with Black heliocopters following overhead. WOW! Lucky them.
The every day shmuck is on his own...

WAR DOG out!

Edited by DOGSOFWAR (11/19/07 01:10 AM)

#112879 - 11/19/07 01:10 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In South Africa (where kidnapping and car jacking and murder all go hand in hand...and are very common), it's legal to have active defenses on your car. Flame throwers, electrified panels, pepper spray ejectors, etc. are all OK. From what I've been told if your car kills somebody who's trying to carjack/kidnap you, it's less than a slap on the wrist if it goes to court.

Armored car sales are also one of the highest anywhere in South Africa.

#112882 - 11/19/07 01:17 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: ]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

I'm not sure this is really something most of us need to be worried about. I mean, does this ever happen in the US? Maybe if you're traveling abroad you should be concerned.

#112884 - 11/19/07 01:24 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: ]
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

Somehow, I don't think the little lady is going to let you weld armor plating on the family Lexus RX 330. Once you start cutting gun ports in the sides, adding pepper sprayers, electric defenses, etc, you'll most likely end up being served divorce papers from the friend of the court!

Try talking her into trading in the family Ford Freestyle on a used surplus Bradley Armored Vehicle, and she'll shoot you herself!

A Jeep Grand Cherokee, or a Dodge Mini Van is no match for 50 cal. gun fire...

No SUV on the planet can out run a Mini-Guns rage...

Nope, we're screwed!

#112886 - 11/19/07 01:27 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: harstad]
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

Maybe not yet it doesn't happen, but it could when all hell breaks out, and law and order are out the window!

Think about the LA riots...they stopped cars and mugged the drivers.

#112887 - 11/19/07 01:27 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: harstad]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just be poor and insignificant, and you'll never face such a threat. (I mean the one with heavy m-guns from the first post) crazy

Edited by Alex (11/19/07 01:29 AM)

#112888 - 11/19/07 01:30 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have kinda lost interest in CNN, but my thought is that if I have large vehicle with a heavy machinegun pointed at me I am SOL. On the other hand, if I am moving and a couple of M/C's pull alongside and point anything at me, I figure that I have a better than even chance of taking them out with a couple of fast swerves before than can do all that much damage to me or my vehicle. Flat tires to not stop you, they just make you add power to maintain speed, created a nice roostertail of sparks at night, and will eventually set your car on fire. But that can take a while. With todays plastic fenders, your engine, with its computer, sensors, etc etc etc, is pretty vunerable, that could bring you to a stop in a hurry. So take those BG's on the bikes out asap...

#112889 - 11/19/07 01:30 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: Alex]
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

This is exactly what I advocate,,,sort of. Act stupid, and uninformed...but, be sly like a fox in the hen house.

However being poor is not neccessarly a good tactic. Even the homeless are being mugged for thrills...

#112890 - 11/19/07 01:37 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'd be surprised to see it in the US or Canada but kidnapping is very common in Mexico. Mexico City is also one of the top armored car sales locations in the world.

#112893 - 11/19/07 01:53 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
As harstad indicated kidnappings are not something the general public is really worried about, but carjacking occur frequently and while they are not as well trained they can use the same type of violence. Chances are if you’re in an area that is prone to this kind of violence your choices are going to be extremely limited. I’m not sure how you would explain to the police about the armor let alone the electrified panels and flame throwers. I can’t think of any thing that would be 100% legal in all states. So all I can say is you will have to defend yourself as best as you are able and willing to.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.