The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105257 - 09/11/07 07:04 AM New desalination technique
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
This just popped up on one of the lists I subscribe to, http://www.sea-pack.com/ - it's claimed that "USCG has them on their aircraft in their ditch bags".

#105259 - 09/11/07 10:32 AM Re: New desalination technique [Re: pteron]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
Looks like a "must have" if it works!

I wonder if you have to use the syrup, or if you can get drinkable plain ol' water without the syrup. I'll have to call them, and I'll report the answers I get.

Thanks for the link!

#105261 - 09/11/07 11:14 AM Re: New desalination technique [Re: Farmer]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
From their "What's New" page

Quote:
The syrup, Feineis said, creates osmotic pressure that pulls water through a proprietary membrane. The syrup is necessary for the forward osmosis system. The membrane has a pore size of 3 to 5 angstroms, 100 times smaller than the smallest pathogens, he said.

It takes about five hours to produce half a liter (about a pint) of liquid at a seawater temperature of 60 degrees, four hours at 86 degrees. Motion could speed up the process some. One syrup charge is required for each half-liter of liquid produced from seawater.

So at most, you can produce 2.5 liters of water from a basic kit. You can purchase syrup for additional 2.5 liters at $38 a shot.

I can see this being used for small life rafts, but for larger sized rafts, a reverse osmosis pump is going to give you higher, essentially unlimited, output so you'll have more water for less dollars per liter.

It's still a pretty interesting product. Looks like that company sells a variety of water filter products.

Cheers,

Tom A.

#105275 - 09/11/07 01:35 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: TomApple]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I thought I heard once that a human could drink up to a liter/day of sea water without screwing up their biochemistry. Has anybody else heard that? I have not researched it.

#105278 - 09/11/07 01:43 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: Farmer]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Farmer
I wonder if you have to use the syrup, or if you can get drinkable plain ol' water without the syrup.

It's a (unique) forward osmosis system, so you need the syrup. The dissolved solids in the syrup are what draw the freshwater through the membrane in the "forward" direction, "down" the osmotic gradient, without any additional work by the user. Otherwise, you would need a hand pump to force the freshwater through the membrane in the "reverse" direction, "up" the osmotic gradient, like in your typical reverse osmosis system.

#105279 - 09/11/07 01:49 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: jshannon]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Definitely affordable option, if you are going on known long term sailing then I would carry the KATADYN SURVIVOR 35 (sometimes you can get good deals off of E-bay) but definitely SeaPack would be great for the BOB than a heavy 10 lb KATADYN SURVIVOR 35. And Bear G won't be happy because if will allow you to filter and drink urine.

#105306 - 09/11/07 05:53 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: jshannon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I thought I heard once that a human could drink up to a liter/day of sea water without screwing up their biochemistry."

NO!

From Wikipedia: "... seawater should not be drunk because of its high salt content. In the long run, more water must be expended to eliminate the salt (through excretion in urine) than the amount of water that is gained from drinking the seawater itself.

"...The amount of sodium chloride in human blood and in urine is always kept within a very narrow range of 9 g per L (0.9% by weight). Drinking seawater (which contains about 3.5% ions of dissolved sodium chloride) temporarily increases the concentration of sodium chloride in the blood, so the only way to excrete the excess sodium chloride in the urine is by sacrificing internal water from cells. The cells eventually give so much water to try to dilute the salt that they die from dehydration, quickly followed by organs and eventually the organism."

Sue

#105358 - 09/12/07 12:50 AM Re: New desalination technique [Re: Susan]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
http://www.caske2000.org/survival/survivesea.htm#Drinking%20sea%20water

This is one site saying that. For survival, not health. I'm not sure everyone agrees with it though.

It's the Alain Bombard French physician making the controversial claim.

Edited by jshannon (09/12/07 12:52 AM)

#105424 - 09/12/07 04:28 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: jshannon]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
The website talks about producing a "drink" not water. I assume the product of this system is a koolaid type liquid that is safe to drink.

Craig.

#105429 - 09/12/07 05:34 PM Re: New desalination technique [Re: celler]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This may be off topic, but ...

I'm curious about the "sweet" aspect of this process.

It reminds me of a potentially (?) similar situation -- the chemistry of electrolyte replacement mixes.

The cure for electrolyte depletion, associated with dehydration, is simply "a handful of sugar and a pinch of salt" in clean water. Research found that the intestinal wall would not let salts through unless some sugars were present.

So, is this product simply a reverse of that process?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.