Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#930 - 07/14/01 02:53 AM Char Cloth
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know how to char cotton for use it fire starting and what type of cotton to use.<br>I have heard of placing it in a old coffee can on the stove but I don't know of the heat setting and is there a better way then the char cloth?<br><br>

#931 - 07/14/01 04:20 AM Re: Char Cloth
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jerry, www.ragweedforge.com on the main page go to Historical Blacksmithing,which is below the American bladesmith society logo. Click on Striking With Flint and Steel.Ragnar gives info on making charcloth and some other interesting facts about period firemaking.<br><br>

#932 - 07/14/01 05:28 PM Re: Char Cloth
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made some about three weeks ago. I got a new quart paint can with lid from Lowes. I punched a hole in the lid with a nail.<br><br>I bought some heavy 100% cotton ticking (blue and white striped cloth used for making beds and pillows) and cut and ripped into about 2" squares. I put the cloth squares in the can and pounded the lid shut.<br><br>I put the can on the side burner of my outdoor grill and set the burner on low. Within a few minutes, smoke was pouring out of the nail hole. When it stops smoking, the cloth is sufficently charred. <br><br>Let the can and contents cool completely before you open. You have heated all the cloth to the point where it will burst into flame if it gets any oxygen. If you were to open the can before it all cools, all your char will burn. The cloth is now ready to catch sparks. Keep it dry.<br><br>I guess you could use an old coffee can if you can make a lid that is basically air tight from something not flammable, like maybe tin foil? Too much air and you will make fire, not char cloth.<br><br>

#933 - 07/15/01 03:03 PM Re: Char Cloth
Anonymous
Unregistered

Old coffee can and tin foil with a hole punched in the top works well, the seal doesn't have to be airtight and you usually don't have to cover the hole after you take it off the fire. Personally, I find the bulk of a container for char cloth to large for daily carry, it is a very fun way to start a fire. Most the time I would just start a "birds nest" aflame, then put it out and start another! I know I need to find more hobbies. Have Fun!<br><br>

#934 - 07/15/01 04:17 PM Re: Char Cloth
NAro Offline
Addict

Another thought. I assume you want to catch a spark and puff it into enough flame to start a fire under survival conditions. Here's a tinder combination I perfected attempting to burn down my garage (at least, that's how my wife sees it).<br>1/2 a pad of 0000 steel wool. Spread it out thinly, about 14"square. Top with a layer of vaseline impregnated cotton: melt the vaseline and soak a fist size wad of roll cotton (first aid cotton). Pull out the cotton until it's pretty thin and gauze-like, and top the steel wool.<br>Now roll it up and cut into whatever size pieces you want to stow in your kit. Unrolled, this combo catches sparks and then puffs into flame like crazy.. even if it has been wet. The cotton doubles as a dressing. The steelwool can (with luck) be used with a battery as another fire starter.<br>Char cloth is a great traditional approach, but I seem more competent with my approach.<br><br>

#107945 - 10/06/07 05:31 PM Re: Char Cloth [Re: Anonymous]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I use an altoids tin when ever I make mine. It lets smoke out and is easy to handle and to get (tasty too.)

-jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#107953 - 10/06/07 07:15 PM Re: Char Cloth [Re: climberslacker]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i use a small candy tin, with a hole punched in the lid. Usually on a stove.

The coton material you use it up to you. I like to use t-shirt's, because i have plenty left and the end product takes a spark easily.

If you use a ticker type of coton, like jeans. Then the end product will not take a spark as easily, but the cloth won't fall apart as easily.

#107964 - 10/07/07 01:19 AM Re: Char Cloth [Re: Tjin]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

you don't need a lid or foil with a hole on the coffee can. leaving it wide open works fine. As long as the flames don't wrap up and around the top of the can, the cotton shouldn't flare up. if it does, take it off the fire and cover it to suffocate it.

I use my barbecue grill and just set the can on the grill and keep an eye on it.

I made 4 pounds worth the other day this way.

Edited by Halcon (10/07/07 01:26 AM)

#107972 - 10/07/07 04:13 AM Re: Char Cloth [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Tasty?

Please tell me that refers to the getting of the can, not the charing of the cloth. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107990 - 10/07/07 02:46 PM Re: Char Cloth [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Ya, I like to infuse my char cloth with essence of Altoid. I find that the fire likes it much better.

-Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.