Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106782 - 09/24/07 02:47 AM Urban Personal Emergency Pack
Grant Offline
Stranger

It seems that most of the personal survival packs are geared toward wilderness survival conditions. They are heavy on things such as fish hooks, snare wires, signalling mirrors, and other items useful or necessary for surviving with little or no support a sudden emergency situation in the wild.

I work in an urban area and need a small pack containing items that will help me endure urban emergencies. I am not talking about a bug-out bag or a get-home bag (I have a separate get home bag in my office). I'm not talking about preparing for survival after catastrophic disasters. This is simply a bag that will help me deal with urban events such as massive (but short term) power outages, hazmat emergencies, mass transit stoppages in inconvenient places such as tunnels, or other events that may occur when I am out on the streets, in a cab, on the subway, or at a meeting away from my get-home bag. The idea is to get me through the event until a) the event is over and/or b) I can get to my get-home bag.

This is more a preparedness pack than a hard-core personal survival bag. During the day I always have it with me, either on my belt (under a jacket) or in my canvas briefcase/shoulder pouch. I would appreciate some comments, but I am kinda committed to the pouch size I now have and don't want to upgrade to a bigger pack. Going to a bigger pack would seem to defeat the purpose of the pack, so I've already decided to avoid things like saw blades and fishing lures that will not prove very useful on a midtown corner. It is a small belt pack, so if anything new goes in, something has to come out.

On my key chain I carry a Photon micro-light II and an REI whistle.

On my belt I carry my cell phone in a phone pouch that also has room for a Fisher Space Pen Stowaway and several sheets of Rite-in-the-Rain paper.

Maxpedition M-1 Waistpack.

Knife (Leatherman e/303)
Flashlight (Photon/Proton)
N95 particle mask
Cliff Bar
$20.00 (4x$5.00)
First aid items in a plastic sandwich bag:
2 anti-bacterial wipes
2 motrin
2 gauze pads (2"x2")
2 adhesive bandages (1.5"x3")
Duct tape
I'd like to squeeze in one of those individual pouches of water that Datrex markets, but I haven't tried it yet.

#106783 - 09/24/07 03:06 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

I would consider adding a triangular bandage which can act as a mask (yes the N95 is of course better), and could act as compression or a fixative for the gauze over wounds. If the Datrex water bag is refillable, a small vial of poviodine could be used as water disinfectant and wound care, or just swap out the anti-bacterial wipe with a poviodine prep pad. Would you need the flashlight if you would always have the Photon light on your key chain? That would free up room for a garden bag (poncho or bag to carry your important items if you had to leave your car).

Eric

#106787 - 09/24/07 03:28 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Coins. A friend told me that in the last power outtage in Manhattan, payphones worked when cells and persona/business landlines didn't. He said people were using their cellphones and PDAs to light the lobbies of dark businesses as they searched for payphones.

I'd also have a supply of one dollar bills. You don't want to spend five bucks on a dollar (or less) item when you can't get change from the seller whose cash register won't open.

Let me ask some questions. If you have a power outtage, what are you going to use duct tape and motrin for? Or the train stops in a tunnel, or there's a hazardous materials spill. I'm trying to connect the items to what your needs are. A particle mask I can see - lots of dust from exploding steam pipes, fires, and the like. Bandages and pads I can see because of cuts from broken glass and stuff. None of that happens when the power goes out, though, and that's probably what has happened most often. So I'd have lots of quarters, a flashlight, and dollar bills. And comfortabel shoes. I think you'll be doing a lot of walking.

#106788 - 09/24/07 04:38 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: philip]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: philip

Let me ask some questions. If you have a power outtage, what are you going to use duct tape and motrin for?

Duct tape can be used for preventing blisters (especially if you have to walk far in hard soled shoes), an impromptu bandaid/medical tape, etc. IMO, its versatility makes it particularly useful.

#106791 - 09/24/07 06:42 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Grant
...snip....Maxpedition M-1 Waistpack.

Knife (Leatherman e/303)
Flashlight (Photon/Proton)
N95 particle mask
Cliff Bar
$20.00 (4x$5.00)
First aid items in a plastic sandwich bag:
2 anti-bacterial wipes
2 motrin
2 gauze pads (2"x2")
2 adhesive bandages (1.5"x3")
Duct tape
I'd like to squeeze in one of those individual pouches of water that Datrex markets, but I haven't tried it yet.

WATER - Dihydrogen Monooxide - during the blackout here in NYC - by the time I got 1/2 way home, NONE of the stores had anything to drink (they had FOOD - in fact were giving food that would spoil away) - the occasional place had a sillcock (water hose bib) turned on for folks passing by - people kept asking me where I got my water - I smiled and said "From my pack"

A quick lesson learned BTW - even after drinking my 20oz bottle, refilling, and drinking again, I still felt really tired/weak - it was around 5:00pm - I had forgotten to EAT. I ate a little bit - boy did I feel better
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#106794 - 09/24/07 08:59 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: KG2V]
BachFan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York City
I agree -- you should absolutely have water in-hand, even if it's one of those 8 oz mini-bottles. (A pouch or box is useful one time, but I don't think you can easily refill them.)

Quarters are good, as philip said -- but in case it's not an emergency that overloads the mobile/cell system, you should always make sure to recharge your cell phone while you're sleeping.

Consider adding more bandaids ... if you have to walk long distances, and you're not wearing suitable footwear/socks, you'll get blisters.

Remember to periodically check the battery in any flashlight(s) you EDC.

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

#106795 - 09/24/07 10:47 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: Grant]
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
How about some leather work gloves & a small pry bar for if you had to escape through a blocked/jammed door & or broken glass or other obstructions.
For the space that theyd take up, a garbage bag & some paracord would be woth chucking in the bag, too.
How about a rolled-up Platypus bottle that you could fill from your office cooler/bathroom/water fountain? (Some puritabs would be handy too)

#106796 - 09/24/07 10:47 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: BachFan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'd double your Motrin. I assume you've got the 200mg pills. This allows you to take 2 doses, or if you're really hurting, to take 800 mg (which is "prescription" strength). Maybe add 1 set of spare batteries for your flashlight (don't know how far you live, plus with winter coming, nightfall is going to be sooner). Consider a pair of work gloves?

#106797 - 09/24/07 11:36 AM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: MDinana]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
This may sound silly, or something your Mom might have told you--but-- how about a pair of the "totes" fold up rubbers/overshoes? A really bad rain storm might shut down the subway as it did a couple of weeks ago in NYC. Then you walk in the water. Walking any distance in cold, wet shoes is unpleasant and, given time, will cause even more problems.

When I was using the subway, I always carried a pair in my briefcase. They were light, folded up small, and came in handy on several occasions...

#106807 - 09/24/07 12:18 PM Re: Urban Personal Emergency Pack [Re: bws48]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I'd add a bandana, & the coins like someone else here pointed out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.