Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#106975 - 09/25/07 04:02 PM Wave Generator (Energy from the ocean)
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Powerful Homemade Wave Generator from over the counter parts, you got to see this! (links below)

(In a nut shell it's a homemade generator using a pendulum as a way of turning a generator with movement. weather it's in the ocean, a truck, carried or what have you generates electricity. It can be enclosed completely in a box, sphere or what have you making it environment proof. All you need is movement to generate power.)

Here is an idea from a guy's invention that has excellent potential. He could even enclose his unit in a sealed sphere to be completely waterproof and throw these on a boat or life raft or for us near the ocean to power emergency radios, gps, EPIRB's, run a motor to a desalination unit on a life raft or what have you. It's awesome, cheap to build, over the counter parts, endless possibilities. I hope the guy makes millions, he deserves it. Can you also imagine one built in your backpack generating power to your batteries while hiking. Lots and lots of potential (needs no sun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ0bB7z3a4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-qXAw5bGo
http://www.youtube.com/user/swellfuel

Edited by falcon5000 (09/25/07 04:39 PM)

#106997 - 09/25/07 06:59 PM Re: Wave Generator (Energy from the ocean) [Re: falcon5000]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, yes, I suppose, but you still don't get something for nothing. Wave motion generators have been around for a while, and pendulum inertial generators aren't new technology either. Ultimately you have to consider in making this a man-portable device (such as in your backpack), is the dynamic weight load swinging around in your pack all day any better than, say, having a handcrank device that generates as many joules? The inertial motion of the pendulum induces additional drag/load in your pack, which at a level sufficient to make LEDs flash off an on probably need not be that noticable. You could do the same with a faraday generator; those LED flashlights that you shake so the magnet passes back and forth through the coil.

The best wave generators I came across used a bi-directional impellor system so that as the crest passed by, the force pushed the impellor by directing the flow of the water through one set of one way gates, then the trough pulled water back through a different set.

#107025 - 09/25/07 11:26 PM Re: Wave Generator (Energy from the ocean) [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Good point, even as a pendulum you could use an item you would normally carry (Water or something as weight). The problem with the hand crank devices are unless your charging batteries or using it as a flashlight it consumes both hands. I had liked the pull cord idea because you can free up one hand and all the foot power ones are way to heavy.

#107040 - 09/26/07 02:59 AM Re: Wave Generator (Energy from the ocean) [Re: falcon5000]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i've read this sort of stuff ever since i browsed my Dads
Popular Science magazines back in the 50's and have never
seen anything really work..

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.