Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103858 - 08/28/07 09:10 PM High Calorie Emergency Food
CBTENGR Offline

I wanted to know if anyone has any place where I can find emergency bars or other forms of food that offer high calories in a single form. I am experimenting with several bars that have 150-300 calories per serving as well as the liferaft bars which have 3600 for a vaccuum pack. I have used MRE's in the past, but they are expensive (I am running low on the ones I was issued)and they take up a lot of room. Thanks.

#103865 - 08/28/07 10:09 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: CBTENGR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi CBTENGR

There are mainstay rations available at http://www.survivorind.com/3600.html

or there is Traditional Scottish Shortbread and Highland Oatcakes available at http://www.walkersus.com/products/gift-tins-more/03702

or if you want to bake Dundee Cake yourself you can follow the recipe at http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_dundee.htm

Dundee Cake when stored in a tin will last quite a while (up to 6 months if stored correctly in a cool dark place)

#103887 - 08/29/07 02:06 AM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

You might try some of these, This is what I use in all of my kits. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FM+R043_A_name_E_Raspberry+Millennium+Energy+Bar

#103899 - 08/29/07 02:59 AM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: CBTENGR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You could make your own. Here is the recipe for Hudson Bay Bread, a tasty snack, and my waistline thinks that it has plenty of everthing, 400 calories per serving. After whipping them up you just vacuum seal them...

Hudson Bay Bread
Recipe Ingredients
• 1 Cup butter, softened
• 1 Cup of sugar
• 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup (or a little more)
• 3 Tablespoons of honey (or a little more)
• 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
• 9 1/2 Cups finely ground rolled oats (I can only get 6-7 cups in, it gets too hard to mix)
• 1/2 Cup sliced almonds (I never use ‘em)
Serves: 6
This was a European staple before workers of the Hudson Bay Company packed it along on beaver-trapping excursions into what is now the American West. No light snack, this early energy bar reportedly stoked the metabolic fires of Sir Edmund Hillary as he ascended Everest.
At Home: Cream together the butter, sugar, syrup, honey, and vanilla. Grind the oats using a food processor or coffee grinder, then slowly stir in the almonds and oats. Press it all into a 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake at 325:F for 15 to 20 minutes. Don_t overcook; it crumbles. As soon as you remove it from the oven, press the mix firmly with a spatula (VERY important). Cut into squares and let cool in the pan.
Calories: 400 Carbohydrates: 54.36 Cholesterol: 33 Dietary Fiber : 2.8 Fiber: 3.4
Protein: 9.1 Saturated Fat: 8.3 Sodium: 129 Total Fat: 17.4

#103906 - 08/29/07 03:50 AM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: OldBaldGuy]
plsander Offline

The Hudson Bay Bread was good and filling when I was in the BWCA last month. You can also add different flavorings to the mix, I've seen recipes with maple syrup, nuts, etc added.

#103933 - 08/29/07 12:56 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

Merda Energy Bar – The next generation of Natural Energy Bar for the Best Shape of your Life.

The Future Fighting Warrior requires increased physical and mental performance during sustained tactical operations. After many years of government research a new form of nutritionally balanced genetically modified maximal energy releasing ingredient has been developed. The new product called Leporine Merda has the ability when mixed amino acids, proteins, isocaloric sucrose and maltodextrines to create an extremely lightweight high calorific energy bar source for the Special Forces Community, gives an increased alertness and mental concentration edge together with hardcore energy releasing low gravity energy bar performance.
Initial ingestion of Leporine Merda also has the additional benefit of jump starting the recovery of the body’s rebuilding process by restoring the muscle glycogen stores by interacting with the amino acid Creatine phosphate giving improved sustained anaerobic performance. By Energizing, Refuelling and Rebuilding in a simple 1,2,3 step process the evolution continues and allows the consumer of Leporine Merda to train like a true champion. By starting the exercise recovery phase before the exercise has begun the athlete can see a continued improvement in physical indurance and stamina over lesser more traditional energy bars.

The Science behind the Merda Energy Bar by the Stercus Tauri Sports Science Foundation.

By minimising Gluscose and Fructose Carbohydrates from the a more traditional energy bar by the inclusion of Leprine Merda together with isocaloric sucrose leads to a more healthy balance by including a natural source of dietary fibre giving a more sustained and controlled release of sports super carb energy.

Image of Raw unprocessed Leporine Merda

Available in Strawberry, Raspberry and Citrus Flavours.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/29/07 01:04 PM)

#103935 - 08/29/07 01:07 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Look like moose droppings...

#103937 - 08/29/07 01:10 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Carpal Tunnel

The Merda Bar also has an extremely long shelf life wink

#103939 - 08/29/07 01:24 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: OldBaldGuy]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Actually, rabbit or hare poop:

Leporine: rabbit or hare
Merda: Feces or poop

Methinks someone is trying to have a little fun.

Pete

#103950 - 08/29/07 02:25 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: CBTENGR]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

Yeah, I am a cliff bar, & Snickers bar fan myself. The Snickers are good for moral. grin Probably because I love chocolate!
I read somewhere they use them on Mt. Everest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.